+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Intentionally not declaring master degree in the past - problem?

nick_s

Star Member
Feb 23, 2009
Hi all,
Early last year I was applying (and eventually hired) for a job. The company hired a third party/background check agency to conduct background check on me. I'm sure they do criminal and reference check but not sure if they do academic verification. Back then I didn't put my master degree on my resume for fear being seen as overqualified. I was laid off early this year.

I'm applying for another job and last week went for an interview with another company. This time I put my master degree on my resume. During the interview, HR told me that they'll do academic verification.

My question: would I be having an issue if the current prospective employer hired the same background check agency related to my master degree? If so, is there anything that i can do? Maybe someone in this forum has the same experience and would like to share? Thanks!

Katayoon

Champion Member
Nov 19, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What they mean by verification is they are checking if you lied by claiming something you do not possess. For example, you included an mBa from Harvard without having it. This is a problem. However, if you wish to hide some qualification on your CV, it is your right to exclude anything which is not relevant to job. You have no obligation to tell your life from A to z. It is common to hide upper-level qualifications on CV to hide that you are overqualified for the job. I never include my Msc and PhD on any of CVs and will not do so until the day when I will have enough experience to post for managerial posts.

nick_s said:
Hi all,
Early last year I was applying (and eventually hired) for a job. The company hired a third party/background check agency to conduct background check on me. I'm sure they do criminal and reference check but not sure if they do academic verification. Back then I didn't put my master degree on my resume for fear being seen as overqualified. I was laid off early this year.

I'm applying for another job and last week went for an interview with another company. This time I put my master degree on my resume. During the interview, HR told me that they'll do academic verification.

My question: would I be having an issue if the current prospective employer hired the same background check agency related to my master degree? If so, is there anything that i can do? Maybe someone in this forum has the same experience and would like to share? Thanks!