+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Intent to reside outside Quebec

hibaa92

Oct 12, 2020
Hi everyone,

Need some advice about the LOE for Express Entry.

- Currently work in Montreal (Open work permit)
- Husband is doing PhD in Montreal (Study Permit)
- CRS score: 507
- I have both Arrima CSQ invitation (QC) and Express Entry ITA
- We want to apply through Express Entry since we plan to relocate to Ontario after my husband finishes his Phd hopefully in Dec 2021.

Questions

1. Can I mention the Quebec Arrima invitation in my LOE as evidence that I have the option to apply through Quebec but decided not to accept as we do not intend to reside in QC long term? I am worried about giving the wrong impression as the act of applying to Arrima in the past implies that I was interested in staying in QC at some point.
2. My employer has offices in Toronto, I can ask for a relocation or transfer letter but does that make sense given that the relocation date is more than an year away.
3. Is the relocation date of Dec 2021 too far away? Should I mention an earlier date?

Thanks in advance!

yvanivanw

Star Member
Jul 2, 2020
What is at stake in your EE application is to prove your intention to reside outside Quebec. You should seriously consider booking an appointment with an immigration lawyer to avoid being sabotaged by your LOE.

lostinquebec

Feb 8, 2019
Hi everyone,

- We want to apply through Express Entry since we plan to relocate to Ontario after my husband finishes his Phd hopefully in Dec 2021.

Questions

1. Can I mention the Quebec Arrima invitation in my LOE as evidence that I have the option to apply through Quebec but decided not to accept as we do not intend to reside in QC long term? I am worried about giving the wrong impression as the act of applying to Arrima in the past implies that I was interested in staying in QC at some point.
2. My employer has offices in Toronto, I can ask for a relocation or transfer letter but does that make sense given that the relocation date is more than an year away.
3. Is the relocation date of Dec 2021 too far away? Should I mention an earlier date?

Thanks in advance!
1. I wouldn't mention that, the invitation only means you still have the option to apply to Arrima if EE doesn't work out for you, you cannot prove that you'll never apply for that ever. I'd focus more on the reasons why you want to move to Ontario + the reasons why you want to leave Quebec instead of the things you're giving up on Quebec. The things you're giving up only shows how much you're actually attached to Quebec.

2.3. As long as the offer is firm and real from your employer and you actually have a moving plan next year according to that, dates shouldn't matter. You'll have to clarify that on the LOE.

yvanivanw

Star Member
Jul 2, 2020
1. I wouldn't mention that, the invitation only means you still have the option to apply to Arrima if EE doesn't work out for you, you cannot prove that you'll never apply for that ever. I'd focus more on the reasons why you want to move to Ontario + the reasons why you want to leave Quebec instead of the things you're giving up on Quebec. The things you're giving up only shows how much you're actually attached to Quebec.

2.3. As long as the offer is firm and real from your employer and you actually have a moving plan next year according to that, dates shouldn't matter. You'll have to clarify that on the LOE.
That's true. It doesn't matter if it's one day or one month or one year after being PR, that you take up residence outside Quebec. The important thing is your "intention" and the way you prove it.

hibaa92

Oct 12, 2020
Good idea about the lawyer. Should i just google immigration lawyers in Montreal and decide based on reviews or is there a list of recommended lawyers somewhere on the forum?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

Questions

Thanks in advance!
You are going to run into an issue with intent to settle outside if your husband isn’t on track to complete his PhD quite soon. Is it possible for him to work on his PhD remotely. If so, I would consider moving outside the province while you are applying for PR so you hav3 proof that you will not be remaining in Quebec. If not you still have the tie to Quebec until he is done.

hibaa92

Oct 12, 2020
Thanks for replying. I asked my employer for a letter of transfer to Toronto effective Feb 2021. Unfortunately, my husbad works in the lab so can't do phd remotely and his supervisor wont give him a letter so there is nothing we can do about that.

Do you think it would make a difference if I apply using an Ontario address and ontario employer because I can do that? Wouldn't they wonder why I am living away from my husband while working remotely during Covid, I feel like that sounds suspicious but maybe thats what they want.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for replying. I asked my employer for a letter of transfer to Toronto effective Feb 2021. Unfortunately, my husbad works in the lab so can't do phd remotely and his supervisor wont give him a letter so there is nothing we can do about that.

Do you think it would make a difference if I apply using an Ontario address and ontario employer because I can do that? Wouldn't they wonder why I am living away from my husband while working remotely during Covid, I feel like that sounds suspicious but maybe thats what they want.
Does your husband have a date confirmed where he is either defending his PhD or submitting his a PhD? People are usually aware that many don’t have a firm timeline to finish their PhD. You can submit a confirmed transfer date but a letter is unlikely to be enough especially if working remotely. The transfer letter doesn’t prove anything. You really need more concrete evidence that you will not be settling in Quebec. For example confirmation that you have a place to stay in Toronto or other location out of Quebec. Does your husband have any plans after his PhD? Has he been applying for jobs or does he have a job lined up? If you have moved to Ontario that will certainly and have some sort of proof that he will move after he finishes his PhD that will help. Even a lease starting in something like January 2021 would help if you don’t want to move yet. Giving notice or having proof you are in the process of setting up the sale of your home in Quebec would also help. Would try to accumulate multiple pieces of proof that you aren’t planning on remaining in Quebec. Would look through the forum. Others have been through similar situations and many have been asked for more proof.

yvanivanw

Star Member
Jul 2, 2020
Does your husband have a date confirmed where he is either defending his PhD or submitting his a PhD? People are usually aware that many don’t have a firm timeline to finish their PhD. You can submit a confirmed transfer date but a letter is unlikely to be enough especially if working remotely. The transfer letter doesn’t prove anything. You really need more concrete evidence that you will not be settling in Quebec. For example confirmation that you have a place to stay in Toronto or other location out of Quebec. Does your husband have any plans after his PhD? Has he been applying for jobs or does he have a job lined up? If you have moved to Ontario that will certainly and have some sort of proof that he will move after he finishes his PhD that will help. Even a lease starting in something like January 2021 would help if you don’t want to move yet. Giving notice or having proof you are in the process of setting up the sale of your home in Quebec would also help. Would try to accumulate multiple pieces of proof that you aren’t planning on remaining in Quebec. Would look through the forum. Others have been through similar situations and many have been asked for more proof.
I guess we may be interested in taking a look at this case (Dhaliwal v. Canada), which is all about intention to reside outside Quebec in FSW application. The applicant was a second-year PhD student, who, thus allegedly, wouldn't know when exactly to finish this program. Her husband, always staying with her in Montreal, didn't hold any job offer in another province. But she had strong family tie to Brampton, Ontario at the time of her application.

Last edited:

hibaa92

Oct 12, 2020
Thanks a lot. That is very helpful. Here is my plan:

1. Submit application with transfer letter for Feb 2021. State reasons for not intending to live in Quebec (language, jobs etc) in LOE for both me and husband.
2. Change driving license, bank accounts, phone before PFL.
3. For living arrangements, I will either provide a letter from family friends in ontario that I am living with them or get a lease before PFL.
4. For husband, I will just have to say that he will move after pHd because we don't know when exactly he will graduate.
5. Hope for the best.

At this point maybe we should just apply from quebec

yvanivanw

Star Member
Jul 2, 2020
Can your husband get a letter indicating when he is expected to graduate, from his supervisor, for example? Though we fully understand that there're always many uncertainties that affect the graduate time of a PhD student, I am afraid that some IRCC officers may not. So personally I believe it's better to give them a date for it.

jacko1995

Jun 2, 2021
Thanks a lot. That is very helpful. Here is my plan:

1. Submit application with transfer letter for Feb 2021. State reasons for not intending to live in Quebec (language, jobs etc) in LOE for both me and husband.
2. Change driving license, bank accounts, phone before PFL.
3. For living arrangements, I will either provide a letter from family friends in ontario that I am living with them or get a lease before PFL.
4. For husband, I will just have to say that he will move after pHd because we don't know when exactly he will graduate.
5. Hope for the best.

At this point maybe we should just apply from quebec
Hello,
Do you have any updates on your application?