+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Intend to flag poll and return back to US on same day

Oct 10, 2020
Hello Guys,

I have a valid COPR this is set to expire on Dec 16, 2020 and I am currently residing in NJ, USA. I am planing to do a soft landing before my COPR expires and I intent to return back on the same day to US. I have following questions and it would be great if someone can help with them.

1. Do I need to be worried about quarantine ?
2. Since I would be returning back on the same day so I need to declare goods that I will be bringing along with me ? If answer to this is yes then I will try to buy a car before I do flag polling.

Regards.

nvap23

Star Member
Apr 19, 2020
I agree that officially soft landing is discouraged but people continue to cross border for soft landing. So, read the other threads for similar experiences and make a decision if you would like to take that risk.

sam 1234

Jun 13, 2020
Hi folks,

I have completed the soft landing last month and came back to USA the same day use AVR. In my i94 online, the last entry date did not change to my recent travel date to Canada as Sep 9 2020. It just shows my previous entry date which was 2019. Can someone advise why did this happen and what needs to be done to fix this?

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi folks,

I have completed the soft landing last month and came back to USA the same day use AVR. In my i94 online, the last entry date did not change to my recent travel date to Canada as Sep 9 2020. It just shows my previous entry date which was 2019. Can someone advise why did this happen and what needs to be done to fix this?
Hi Sam,

You need to go to the nearest cbp to update this. They do it in the airports most likely. You can call your nearest cbp at airport and findout the timings.

Reactions: sam 1234

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
I agree that officially soft landing is discouraged but people continue to cross border for soft landing. So, read the other threads for similar experiences and make a decision if you would like to take that risk.
Well, the point is you cannot show up without any of your belongings because otherwise it is obvious you are not coming to stay. They won't sign your COPR or allow you to land if they aren't satisfied you're exempt from the travel restrictions, which do not allow for soft landings.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
The guidance is what it is soft landings are discouraged/not supported but as others have reported that attending through a land border some have been successful and others have reported being turned back.

Ultimately just a matter of luck whether CBSA at the border use some discretion or not so anyone who decides to try does so at their own risk . Whether would be successful or not regardless what anyone on the forum implies given everybodys circumstances will be unique and what they may or may not have said to CBSA to support their case at the border will also be unique

Land border crossing is one thing but can suspect that trying the same through an airport the odds may well be less successful no way to predict.

Generally suspect the weak link in any soft landing plan might be when asked by CBSA what your quarantine plan is for 14 days what do you answer honestly given it is mandatory to have one that is convincing. So either have to come clean on a same day return or lie to CBSA which is not advisable.

Last edited: