+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Insurance for newborn after Baby delivery in Quebec while waiting for 3 months of Ramq

orodeshah

Mar 14, 2015
Me and my wife are Canadian citizens, we are planning to come back to Canada (Quebec) for birth of our child, I know even during 3 months of waiting time for RAMQ , pregnancy and delivery are covered, but what about baby ? after birth of Baby both parents are still in 3 months waiting time for RAMQ, what will happen to child ? will the newborn be covered?

Doubleface72

Aug 2, 2020
Me and my wife are Canadian citizens, we are planning to come back to Canada (Quebec) for birth of our child, I know even during 3 months of waiting time for RAMQ , pregnancy and delivery are covered, but what about baby ? after birth of Baby both parents are still in 3 months waiting time for RAMQ, what will happen to child ? will the newborn be covered?
Hello dear,

Mother and baby are covered during the waiting period.

Reactions: orodeshah

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello dear,

Mother and baby are covered during the waiting period.
Only if they are permanently returning to Quebec and plan on meeting the RO to receive RAMQ. If they plan on having having and leaving right away they may not qualify for any coverage. You essentially need to become a tax resident so people are not just using the healthcare system and leaving.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Are you moving back to Quebec? If not you may not qualify for any healthcare coverage for both you and the child.

orodeshah

Mar 14, 2015
Only if they are permanently returning to Quebec and plan on meeting the RO to receive RAMQ. If they plan on having having and leaving right away they may not qualify for any coverage. You essentially need to become a tax resident so people are not just using the healthcare system and leaving.
YEs we are tax resident and always paid Canadian tax though we were far for a long time, we are planning to stay there at least 8 months

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
YEs we are tax resident and always paid Canadian tax though we were far for a long time, we are planning to stay there at least 8 months
You are paying Canadian tax rates on your whole international salary while living abroad? You must remain in Quebec for over 6 months.

orodeshah

Mar 14, 2015
You are paying Canadian tax rates on your whole international salary while living abroad? You must remain in Quebec for over 6 months.
Yes , tax for all international salary, I filed all taxes, this year due to corona I have a delay, I am planning to do it after arriving there

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes , tax for all international salary, I filed all taxes, this year due to corona I have a delay, I am planning to do it after arriving there
If you are not a resident for tax purposes you should not be claiming tax benefits as a resident. Do you have a wife or child in Canada? Any business, property or investments? If not you should not be filing taxes as a resident and should definitely not be receiving any form of payments or tax returns.

C_vitamin

Star Member
Jul 29, 2020
Hello Orodeshah,

Are you able to come to Canada? I just gave birth in Montreal. I have a question for you. After birth, we did the birth registeration through paper based. What to expect after that? Are they going to send a RAMQ card for the baby? I guess there is no identification card in Canada right? We have driver licence and identification card separately in my country.

TechieGeek

Star Member
Dec 17, 2018
I need some information regarding my situation:

I am student here in Quebec and my wife is on Open Work Permit. We arrived in Canada in August of 2021, My deliver the baby in December 2021. My question is regarding the RAMQ. I have submitted the Declaration form to the hospital, I am now waiting for the RAMQ to response me regarding the eligibility. Its been 22 days since I submitted the declaration form, when I can expect any response from RAMQ?.

Also once I receive the RAMQ for my newborn baby, will all the bills of hospital regarding to the baby will be covered by the RAMQ or not?

Reactions: C_vitamin

C_vitamin

Star Member
Jul 29, 2020
I need some information regarding my situation:

I am student here in Quebec and my wife is on Open Work Permit. We arrived in Canada in August of 2021, My deliver the baby in December 2021. My question is regarding the RAMQ. I have submitted the Declaration form to the hospital, I am now waiting for the RAMQ to response me regarding the eligibility. Its been 22 days since I submitted the declaration form, when I can expect any response from RAMQ?.

Also once I receive the RAMQ for my newborn baby, will all the bills of hospital regarding to the baby will be covered by the RAMQ or not?
Didn’t you call RAMQ for health card? First you call them and then they send you some paper to fill out. You fill out and send them back. I guess total process takes 60 days or 90 days. RAMQ health card cover all hospital expenses.

TechieGeek

Star Member
Dec 17, 2018
Didn’t you call RAMQ for health card? First you call them and then they send you some paper to fill out. You fill out and send them back. I guess total process takes 60 days or 90 days. RAMQ health card cover all hospital expenses.
I have already sent the form to hospital who should have send it to RAMQ immediately.

My hospital billing person said you have to confirm from RAMQ that if your child is covered since the day one of his birth or after the 1 month of his birth.

If he is covered after 1 month then we have to pay the hospital bill.

So is it possible that the child is covered after 1 month of a child birth?

C_vitamin

Star Member
Jul 29, 2020
I have already sent the form to hospital who should have send it to RAMQ immediately.

My hospital billing person said you have to confirm from RAMQ that if your child is covered since the day one of his birth or after the 1 month of his birth.

If he is covered after 1 month then we have to pay the hospital bill.

So is it possible that the child is covered after 1 month of a child birth?
Hello,
Actually it is possible because as I remember from my RAMQ application. I applied the health card before my baby born and they approved me on middle of February(my baby born on February 7)and it is written on the letter that your health card will be valid on March 1. I was surprised because I was thinking after I applied I will be eligible for health card. Thankfully I had private insurance so they paid the hospital bill.