+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Insurance and Pregnancy - Health Card, in which province is faster to get it?

AT07

Oct 4, 2014
Hi,

I will be landing and getting a PR. I heard that there is 3 months waiting period to get Health card.
Is there any state in Canada where there is no waiting period to get Health card?
I will be applying for traveler insurance and all. But all in internet am seeing that traveler insurance doesn't cover c-section cost.
So, do you know if there is any insurance who will cover c-section also?

Also, in which province we get health card faster? Please let us know.
And if we go and stay there in that province where getting health card is fast and then if we had to move to another province due to job etc, then can we use the earlier province health cards?
Any information is greatly appreicated. Thank you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As far as I know, only Ontario and BC have waiting periods for health cards for new PR's. Actually Quebec too but they make exceptions for pregnancy and child birth.

You can go to any province outside those 3 and you shouldn't have a problem. Personally I would recommend Alberta.

One thing to watch out for whichever province you go to is to stay for at least 6 months. All provinces have eligibility requirements for health care. Even if you get instant coverage, you are actually not eligible unless you commit to residing in the province at least 6 months a year. If you move out of the province without spending 6 months, they could accuse you of health care fraud and request that you refund everything they covered for you.

If you stay more than 6 months and then move, your old province health card will cover you for the waiting period in the new province.

Koifish76

May 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-05-2014 (ECAS)
Doc's Request.
IMM5540 29-04-2014, Intent to return 18-08-2014, PCC 26-08-2014
File Transfer...
Same day as SA. 15-07-2014
Med's Done....
Nov.4,2013
Passport Req..
9/24/2014(email)...same day IP
VISA ISSUED...
10/13/2014
LANDED..........
Oct.20, 2014!
Leon said:
As far as I know, only Ontario and BC have waiting periods for health cards for new PR's. Actually Quebec too but they make exceptions for pregnancy and child birth.

You can go to any province outside those 3 and you shouldn't have a problem. Personally I would recommend Alberta.

One thing to watch out for whichever province you go to is to stay for at least 6 months. All provinces have eligibility requirements for health care. Even if you get instant coverage, you are actually not eligible unless you commit to residing in the province at least 6 months a year. If you move out of the province without spending 6 months, they could accuse you of health care fraud and request that you refund everything they covered for you.

If you stay more than 6 months and then move, your old province health card will cover you for the waiting period in the new province.
Hi leon, if I can ask you, is there not a problem choosing quebec as your choice of residency? We are near finish, about to get passport back with visa, but have not gone through the quebec papers CSQ. And since my wife is due in January, i am trying to explore my options. I even work in quebec. But since we have an ontario address and maintained this address till now, is it too late to notify of address change? Which may delay passport getting back? I was told to now apply for CSQ will cost 400. And health care will not kick in till 6 months from landing. Which is far too late.

Apreciate your help here?

Koifish76

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Koifish76 said:
Hi leon, if I can ask you, is there not a problem choosing quebec as your choice of residency? We are near finish, about to get passport back with visa, but have not gone through the quebec papers CSQ. And since my wife is due in January, i am trying to explore my options. I even work in quebec. But since we have an ontario address and maintained this address till now, is it too late to notify of address change? Which may delay passport getting back? I was told to now apply for CSQ will cost 400. And health care will not kick in till 6 months from landing. Which is far too late.

Apreciate your help here?

Koifish76
If you stay in Ontario, health care will kick in after 3 months, not 6, however still too late if she is due in January because you never know if the baby is a bit early. If you were to move to Quebec, you would have a waiting period but there would be an exception for pregnancy related expenses. I don't know if your wife would have a problem getting health care in Quebec as a newcomer if she doesn't have a CSQ but if you end up having to pay for the birth, it would be a lot more expensive than $400. What you could do right now and contact RAMQ and ask them a hypothetical question what would happen if a new PR who doesn't have a CSQ moves to Quebec and applies for RAMQ.

Koifish76

May 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-05-2014 (ECAS)
Doc's Request.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Nov.4,2013
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
10/13/2014
LANDED..........
Oct.20, 2014!
Leon said:
If you stay in Ontario, health care will kick in after 3 months, not 6, however still too late if she is due in January because you never know if the baby is a bit early. If you were to move to Quebec, you would have a waiting period but there would be an exception for pregnancy related expenses. I don't know if your wife would have a problem getting health care in Quebec as a newcomer if she doesn't have a CSQ but if you end up having to pay for the birth, it would be a lot more expensive than $400. What you could do right now and contact RAMQ and ask them a hypothetical question what would happen if a new PR who doesn't have a CSQ moves to Quebec and applies for RAMQ.
Wow, you simplify it so well...we have been stressing about this too much. And could I bother to ask where you heard Quebec can make possible exceptions for birth/pregnancy. Thanks a bunch Leon.

Koifish76

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Koifish76 said:
Wow, you simplify it so well...we have been stressing about this too much. And could I bother to ask where you heard Quebec can make possible exceptions for birth/pregnancy. Thanks a bunch Leon.

Koifish76
It is here on RAMQ's website: http://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrants-foreign-workers-students/health-insurance/Pages/healthcare-covered.aspx

Pending receipt of your card, be sure to keep the letter indicating that you are subject to a waiting period. This is because, given the situation, some healthcare services may be available free of charge to persons waiting for their coverage to take effect, for instance:

-services needed by victims of conjugal or domestic violence or of sexual assault;
-services related to pregnancy, child birth or termination of pregnancy;
-services needed by people suffering from infectious diseases that have an impact on public health.

Koifish76

May 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-05-2014 (ECAS)
Doc's Request.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Nov.4,2013
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
10/13/2014
LANDED..........
Oct.20, 2014!
Leon said:
It is here on RAMQ's website: http://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrants-foreign-workers-students/health-insurance/Pages/healthcare-covered.aspx
Thanks!

goldenbrown

Jan 11, 2011
Vancouver
I'd say anywhere outside BC, QC, NB and ON you'll be fine. They are a lot more generous in AB and SK that's for sure.

If you wind up in one of the waiting period provinces there is a handy guide on how to get things covered for pregnancy.

<a href=http://arbetovinsurance.com/2014/03/28/the-ultimate-guide-to-pregnancy-insurance/>Pregnancy Insurance Guide</a>

AT07

Oct 4, 2014
Hi Leon\Goldenbrown,

Hope you are doing fine. I have one more question regarding insurance in Ontario.
If we plan to land in canada by october end, and if pregnancy due date is in feb 2nd week or so, then does the 3 month calculation time for
insurance card starts from Day 1 of landing or how is it calculated?
Could you please provide some information? Thanks,

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AT07 said:
Hi Leon\Goldenbrown,

Hope you are doing fine. I have one more question regarding insurance in Ontario.
If we plan to land in canada by october end, and if pregnancy due date is in feb 2nd week or so, then does the 3 month calculation time for
insurance card starts from Day 1 of landing or how is it calculated?
Could you please provide some information? Thanks,
It's 3 months from your moving date so if you move to Ontario on February 10th, you would be covered by May 10th, see here: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publications/ohip/ohip_waiting_pd.aspx

AT07

Oct 4, 2014
Thank you Leon.
May i ask what is 'establishing residency means'?
Is it something like we need to wait for 1 month to get utility bills and then apply for the health card?
It looks like if we are planning to move by october end and if due date is on Feb 1st week, is it better to go to Alberta ? That way we might be covered for insurance.
Private health insurances are not covering delivery costs.
Can you please provide some info? Thank you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AT07 said:
Thank you Leon.
May i ask what is 'establishing residency means'?
Is it something like we need to wait for 1 month to get utility bills and then apply for the health card?
It looks like if we are planning to move by october end and if due date is on Feb 1st week, is it better to go to Alberta ? That way we might be covered for insurance.
Private health insurances are not covering delivery costs.
Can you please provide some info? Thank you.
You would have to prove that you live in Ontario but they will still give you insurance 3 months after you moved. Say you move October 15th, you can work on getting your utility bills or whatever evidence you need and apply for it in November or December and you will have your coverage on January 15th. However, if the baby is early, you still risk that the baby will be born before you get coverage.

If you move to AB instead, you have instant coverage from the day you move. However, you'd have to live in AB for at least 6 months.