+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inside Canada when I sent in my passport for PR visa

CXTina

Sep 27, 2022
I got my "Ready for Visa" email on August 15th for my Express Entry application when I was in United States. Later on, I entered Canada through work permit on August 25th. I contacted the IRCC office to change my address after I entered Canada, and they told me that I should then mail my passport to the IRCC Ottawa office as instructed on the "Ready for Visa" email. However, after I sent in my passport on Sept 12th, there were no further updates. I called them today they told me that I didn't inform them that I've moved from United States to Canada because if I did, they will let me know that I don't need to send in the passport, instead, I only need to do an eCOPR online. This simply contradicts with what they said before. And I asked what I should do to get my passport back, she said I will simply have to wait. However, I had an international travel plan next month, does that mean there is no way I can get my passport back for the travel and I will just let my application stuck until they contacted me?

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
I am not sure what information you had before but if you receive RFV you can not simply enter Canada and mail them the passport. The visa you were going to get was a PR visa to enter Canada, if you are already in Canada then you don't need a visa. Which begs the question of who you spoke with previously. They may have told you that Ottawa was the nearest embassy while you were still in the US. Once you landed on the work visa you should have inform them of the address change. Nothing you can do now but wait, you can't travel without a passport.

I suggest calling them back to confirm that you are in Canada and should received a Portal request for eCOPR. In addition, calling constantly (once or twice a day) to get an update on the passport.

CXTina

Sep 27, 2022
I am not sure what information you had before but if you receive RFV you can not simply enter Canada and mail them the passport. The visa you were going to get was a PR visa to enter Canada, if you are already in Canada then you don't need a visa. Which begs the question of who you spoke with previously. They may have told you that Ottawa was the nearest embassy while you were still in the US. Once you landed on the work visa you should have inform them of the address change. Nothing you can do now but wait, you can't travel without a passport.

I suggest calling them back to confirm that you are in Canada and should received a Portal request for eCOPR. In addition, calling constantly (once or twice a day) to get an update on the passport.
Thank you for the suggestions. I will definitely keep calling. Previsouly, I indeed spoke with an executive from the IRCC call centre right after I entered Canada. I told her that I had a change of address and she then told me to mail my passport to the IRCC office as suggested on the RFV. Clearly, that piece of information is wrong, and I only found out about this now. But I didn't do this without any instructions and I indeed informed them about the change of address. Clearly, the IRCC people misled me to this situation.