+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

inquiry

Agbor Gilian

Jan 2, 2024
Hello everyone. i am in Canada through a study permit which will expire after 4 years(2027) but am finding it difficult to pay my fees since my country is undergoing crises and my mother is in danger and can't afford my fees. please i will like to ask if i apply for Asylum will i lost my current status in Canada as an international study and will i be able to study or work while waiting for my claim? Thanks for your respond.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone. i am in Canada through a study permit which will expire after 4 years(2027) but am finding it difficult to pay my fees since my country is undergoing crises and my mother is in danger and can't afford my fees. please i will like to ask if i apply for Asylum will i lost my current status in Canada as an international study and will i be able to study or work while waiting for my claim? Thanks for your respond.
You may want to consider a destitute student work permit vs. applying for asylum: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/humanitarian-reasons-r208.html#s2

If you apply for asylum, this places a removal order against you which is put on hold while your asylum application is processed (but which becomes active should your asylum application be approved). You cannot start working immediately but have to wait until you receive a work permit based on your asylum claim. Times for this vary and some people wait quite a long time.

Littlebeee

Star Member
Jan 6, 2023
Yes! You will lose you status as a student and you can’t study until your claim is approved. But would be issued a work permit with 4-6 months of you putting you application through.