+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inquiring about the status of your application early--bad idea?

abedelia

Star Member
Oct 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
In the sponsorship guide it says that "Inquiring about the status of your application before the standard processing time has
elapsed" might delay the processing of your application.

I submitted mine to CPC-M on March 10 and have heard nothing, not able to log in to eCAS. Others on this forum who submitted around the same time have already seen their application get forwarded to their visa office. Would it be a bad idea for me to call the CIC call center? It says on the website that they are only processing applications received up to mid-February, so I would be calling before the standard processing time has elapsed--could this delay my application really?
Thanks

I

iarblue

just wait a bit longer they are only going to tell you what you already read they are processing feb.They tell you exactly what the website says even though they may be further ahead.Your app may be a bit more than the ones who already ave a reply be patient cause the next step takes much longer.

abedelia

Star Member
Oct 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OK thanks iarblue, thanks for your answer, you are right, I must be patient...

I don't understand though because my application is very straightforward (I think). The only thing I think might hang it up is that my husband (my sponsor) is a Canadian citizen but he was not born in Canada, he applied for citizenship based on the Canadian citizenship of his parents several years ago. So maybe they have to take some extra time to locate those records to verify that he is a citizen and therefore eligible to sponsor me? Maybe?

I will be going to the border to apply for a temporary work permit in the next few days. Will the immigration officer I meet with there be able to look up my application at that time?

calgary_flames

Star Member
Feb 23, 2010
Calgary,Alberta
Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-03-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
NA
Med's Done....
16-02-2010
Passport Req..
26-04-2010
VISA ISSUED...
25-05-2010
I would suggest you to go ahead and call the CIC call center. Their website does not say correct processing time. My application was received in Mississauga on March 2nd and application for sponsorship was approved on March 24

chandlermare

Mar 10, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-11-2009
Doc's Request.
01-02-2010
AOR Received.
13-01-2010
Med's Done....
30-06-2009
Interview........
waived
I would say go ahead and call the call centre, I've called several times throughout this whole process and have found them to be somewhat helpful - if they can see there is new information on your file they will give you an update if possible - if the visa office hasn't updated the file then they will just tell you there is no new information, they don't seem to mind if you call...

I

iarblue

OK i have called cic they say to me calling the call center will not effect the timeline contacting the visa office in your country will that was their words so go ahead call the call center they may help.

calgary_flames

Star Member
Feb 23, 2010
Calgary,Alberta
Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-03-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
NA
Med's Done....
16-02-2010
Passport Req..
26-04-2010
VISA ISSUED...
25-05-2010
Once your application is transferred to your local HC than call center will not have any update of what's going on but they should be able to give you some information about Sponsorship application.

abedelia

Star Member
Oct 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ok well I finally got through to the call centre this morning and the agent wanted to know when I sent my application; when I told her it was received by CPC-M on March 10 she just told me that they are not processing applications past Feb. 11 and invited me to call back in a few more weeks. I asked if there was any way to find out whether my application had been received and she said that there is not, they haven't gotten to it yet. She didn't take any information from me at all.

I'm so frustrated by this--I feel genuinely happy for those March applicants who have had their sponsorship approved, but it also makes me aggravated to no end to know that they ARE processing March applications, yet mine has somehow disappeared into the ether. And why the Call Centre people pretend they aren't aware that they ARE processing applications received after the date on the website.

I'm kind of outraged that they have $1000 of my money and a huge application that took us many many hours to put together and I can't get so much as an acknowledgement of it's receipt over 6 weeks later. It's truly absurd.

OK, sorry to vent. The end! :p