+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland vs Outland (Thai wife)

LionMG

Nov 3, 2015
Hello,

I'm looking for advice on whether my Thai wife should submit her application inland or outland. From searching around, I've seen a lot of people recommending outland, but mainly older posts from 2016, and I'm wondering if things have changed since then.

My worry with Outland is that they'll be more strict with the information they require, mainly financial proof. My wife is in a Facebook group for Thais in Canada and she read some people say I'll need to provide tax returns (which I don't have since I've been living in Thailand). I'm also worried my wife would be asked to go for an interview in Thailand, while she plans to be staying in Canada during the entire PR process.

Or is the required proof/documents the exact same between Inland and Outland?

Some additional info:
- She'll be entering Canada next month on a Tourist Visa that is valid until August 2019
- She will not work or study
- She does not plan to travel outside Canada for a year (she would extend her Tourist visa after 6 months while waiting for the PR application).

Is there anyone with a Thai spouse/family member with an experience to share?

Thanks!

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
You must be a Canadian citizen to be eligible to sponsor from outside Canada......refer.....Who can become a sponsor.

IRCC is strict with both Outland and Inland sponsorship……it’s not mandatory you must be working in Canada to sponsor your spouse……if you are not working in Canada and cannot provide CRA Notice of Assessment for tax……you are required to provide, documentation, detailed explanation and plan on how you would financially support yourself and your spouse…..refer…checklist….”Employment/Source of Income”.

INLAND:

You are currently living in Thailand and outside Canada and can’t apply for Inland Sponsorship for your wife while you live in Thailand.

To apply for Inland Spousal Sponsorship….both the Sponsor and the Principal Applicant must be living inside Canada.

OUTLAND:

If you sponsor your spouse while you are outside Canada….you will be required to provide proof of your intent to move back and live in Canada once your spouse becomes a PR in Canada…refer…checklist…..Part B…. Supporting Documents for Sponsor…..Q. #2.

There are 2 options for Outland Spousal Sponsorship….
  1. I am currently living outside Canada, and I am applying under the Family Class.
  2. I am currently living in Canada, and I am applying under the Family Class (not under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class). I understand that I may be convoked to attend an interview at a visa office outside of Canada.
Choose option1…..if your wife will temporarily visit Canada (short stay) but permanently live in Thailand during the sponsorship process……with the option, the sponsorship will be processed abroad, if interview is required she will attend the interview outside Canada.

Choose option 2…..if your wife will live in Canada while the sponsorship is been processed and if interview is required she will attend the interview outside Canada…..with this option, you will reflect your wife is currently in Canada but applying outland and understands she could be convoked to attend an interview at a visa office outside Canada.

The required proof/documents for Inland and Outland is mostly same except for a few differences in supporting documents to prove relationship to sponsor depending on if you and your spouse are currently living together…..refer…checklist……Part B…. Support Documents for Sponsored Persons…...7…. Proof of Relationship to Sponsor.

Reactions: LionMG
Jan 31, 2020
Respected experts!

I have applied for spouse sponsorship under family sponsorship program. I Mistakenly selected wrong program in document checklist. I checked "I am currently living in Canada, and I am applying under the Family Class" instead of "I am currently living outside Canada, and I am applying under the Family Class". I just get to know this mistake.

I applied online and I already got updated COPR detail in my tracking account. Did anyone gone through the same mistake? Can someone please guide me, do I need to inform them about it?

Thanks in advance