+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland Spouse question about the Border

canadaguy238

Star Member
Nov 23, 2015
Hi, I am a dual US/CAN citizen. I married a US citizen. We both want to move to Canada. My question is about an inland spouse application and getting approved at the border to enter Canada.

Recently, we tried to cross the border into Canada, but my spouse was denied entry because we had zero documentation to prove we were a couple. I did not know we needed that kind of proof to simply cross the border. The border agent basically said that if we had documentation, he most likely would have let her in.

I have put together a list of proof that we have been a couple for over 2 years. My question is. Can we tell the border agent that she is planning to live in Canada and will be applying for inland permanent residency? Then show proof of us being a couple and we would also show them the permanent residency application that is filled out and ready to be mailed. Would the border agent let her into Canada?

I realize that its usually a big no-no to tell a border agent that she is planning on permanently moving to Canada. I realize that usually someone just comes in on a tourist visa, then can apply inland. She was denied entry as a tourist, but can she be allowed entry if she has proof of being married to a Canadian citizen and that she plans on applying for inland permanent residency? Would she be issued a temporary resident permit (TRP) or a visitor record, since she is not admissible as a tourist (TRV).

Thanks so much for your help.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It would be best if you could at least pay the fees and have a receipt to show the CBSA officer, just in case.

Also...you really should consider submitting an Outland application, which is substantially faster for an American ( ~ 8-10 months) versus 26 months (+) for Inland. The OWP isn't available with an Outland application, but...being stuck in Canada for 26 months is not fun for most applicants that now wish they had applied Outland.

An Outland application could be submitted now, or once she (hopefully) is allowed to enter Canada.

Good luck!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Apply outland unless you want to hate life for the next three years.

canadaguy238

Star Member
Nov 23, 2015
Ya, I am considering applying outland. The thing is, she doesn't need a work permit. We don't really care about leaving Canada for over 2 years.

I lived in Canada for the last 6 months, and she visited for 5 months. I just got my canadian citizenship certificate, Canadian ID, bank account, credit card, SIN number, OHIP card, etc all in the last 2 months. I feel like I am Canadian. I would REALLY prefer to get back to where I belong, which is in Canada. I love Canada and would prefer to be back asap.

I may end up doing outland. Im just wondering if the officer would let her in on a TRP (Temporary resident PERMIT) or a Visitor record if we tell the officer about her intentions to move permanently to Canada and apply for inland PR? I would really love to get back to Canada asap. She was denied entry as a tourist, but I have read that she could be let in on a TRP or Visitor record if we have all of our documents including the inland PR application filled out and fees paid.

Lizzy1987

Jan 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24/08/2015
AOR Received.
18/11/2015, 21/04/2016
Med's Done....
upfront
LANDED..........
01-31-2017
My husband is Canadian, I'm American- and applied inland. When we crossed the border we told the first officer we needed to get a visitor record for me. He had us go to secondary, and we gave the officer there a letter from our lawyer (just outlining our intention to apply for inland pr). We also had my travellers insurance, marriage license, print out of our joint bank account, and receipt of paying the pr application fees. He gave me a visitor record good for 6 months. Your wife might not need an owp, but keep healthcare in mind when you pick inland or Outland. We're 7 months in, and I think if we had to do it again, I'd definitely do Outland, especially now that I've found this forum.. It's more helpful than immigration lawyers!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
canadaguy238 said:
I may end up doing outland. Im just wondering if the officer would let her in on a TRP (Temporary resident PERMIT) or a Visitor record if we tell the officer about her intentions to move permanently to Canada and apply for inland PR? I would really love to get back to Canada asap. She was denied entry as a tourist, but I have read that she could be let in on a TRP or Visitor record if we have all of our documents including the inland PR application filled out and fees paid.
Apply outland.

When she comes to Canada, she is coming as a VISITOR. She does not yet have the right to move to Canada, so she should not say that to CBSA. She is coming to visit her spouse while waiting for her PR app to be processed.