+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland spousal(in canada with U.S greencard)

Jul 27, 2020
I recently applied for my spousal inland paper work with open work permit application, which was delivered on march 11. Because I have U.S green card I am aware that i cant stay here more than 6 to year. I have to visit United states once or twice in middle of my procress for few days. But because of COVID 19 they are not accepting implied status people back inside the canada because its only open for the Canadian citizen and Canadian PR holders. I enter inside canada on November 30, 2019. got married with my lovely partner on december 4th. fill all paper work and submits them on time. Applied for visitor extenion before stay in canada expires so i wont be out for status. Even called the CIC embassy but they have no issue.
If it was no covid i would easily travel with my wife to US and back and make my Greencard active. Now because of Covid 19 its a high chance if i leave canada i wont be allowed inside even i have papers. nor my wife able to visit me because she is not american citizen.

And if i wont travel back its high chance that they will try to create issuse on my green card residency because i would be over staying more than a year.

what you all advise?

I am planning to call CIC and american embassy tomorrow.
Does this thing ever happened to you or you face same situtation please inform me about it!!
i will appericiate it!!

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
If you want to maintain your US green card you should return to the US and make sure you're in compliance with the USCIS rules. You could try to re-enter Canada as the spouse/immediate family member of a Canadian, as there is an exemption in place. The issue you are more likely to face is that leaving Canada could be seen as you abandoning your inland sponsorship and work permit applications.

Jul 27, 2020
If you want to maintain your US green card you should return to the US and make sure you're in compliance with the USCIS rules. You could try to re-enter Canada as the spouse/immediate family member of a Canadian, as there is an exemption in place. The issue you are more likely to face is that leaving Canada could be seen as you abandoning your inland sponsorship and work permit applications.
thank you for replying. I am aware that I have to stable my status inU.S in safe side incase something goes wrong with paper work. If I return back there is high chance i would not be able to go back to canada because the boder is close for visitors and work permits. at this moment only residents. Same for United states. If i want my wife my to travel with me and stay with me for 4 to 5 months she cant.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
thank you for replying. I am aware that I have to stable my status inU.S in safe side incase something goes wrong with paper work. If I return back there is high chance i would not be able to go back to canada because the boder is close for visitors and work permits. at this moment only residents. Same for United states. If i want my wife my to travel with me and stay with me for 4 to 5 months she cant.
Again, the Canadian border is not closed to you as you are the immediate family member of a Canadian. You should be able to leave and return to Canada as a visitor without a problem. What you need to consider is that leaving Canada can be considered abandonment of your sponsorship application, meaning you would have to start over.