Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2013
AOR Received.
23-10-2013
Hey Guys,

I was hoping some one could help shed some light on a question that I had. My wife whom I am sponsoring had an open work permit that expired back in February on this year; I never renewed it. Should I renew it? Due to the Pandemic she cannot find any work. Second question In order to receive the PR card would she need to have a valid status as in Open work permit, or can she get PR with out having the work permit card? Please advise. Thank you for your time.

Mice

Star Member
Mar 19, 2020
Hey Guys,

I was hoping some one could help shed some light on a question that I had. My wife whom I am sponsoring had an open work permit that expired back in February on this year; I never renewed it. Should I renew it? Due to the Pandemic she cannot find any work. Second question In order to receive the PR card would she need to have a valid status as in Open work permit, or can she get PR with out having the work permit card? Please advise. Thank you for your time.
Did you get email AOR ? When CiC start to process your application, your wife status can change to implied status, allow to stay in Canada legally, but she can’t work without OWP.

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Hey Guys,

Not sure if you have sponsored her for PR already. If you haven’t you might want to submit an open work permit application together with the PR application. But to qualify for the open work permit she needs to have valid status. She is currently out of status, so she might need to apply to restore her status as a visitor.

Alternatively, she can apply to restore her status as worker (depending on the type of work permit she had)... some cannot be extended after they expire.

As for the PR card, not sure what stream she applied/will apply for, if it’s family sponsorship, it can be processed and approved without having legal status. But it’s always best to maintain legal status

fsfh60

Apr 26, 2012
Surrey, British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2013
AOR Received.
23-10-2013
Hey guys I appreciate your support. Yes we applied back in October 2019 and received AIP. I applied for her open work permit along side the inland spouse family sponsorship, but was expired in February due to passport expiry. I renewed the passport. But have not renewed the work permit. Since we are waiting a decision on our application can she get approved with out having a valid work permit?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey guys I appreciate your support. Yes we applied back in October 2019 and received AIP. I applied for her open work permit along side the inland spouse family sponsorship, but was expired in February due to passport expiry. I renewed the passport. But have not renewed the work permit. Since we are waiting a decision on our application can she get approved with out having a valid work permit?
Don't rhink you have AIP. That is the step right before DM and COPR.

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
If she has AIP no need to apply for work permit. Not having a work permit has no effect on the PR application itself.

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Out of curiosity, when did she get AIP?

PreferredRobot

Star Member
Nov 15, 2019
Manitoba
Hey Guys,

Hi fsfh no she doesn’t not need a valid status to apply, but if she doesn’t have a valid status then she’s overstaying which means like our case she will be contacted by CBSA for removal order :(. How long ago did you apply for spousal sponsorship? Is she Palestinian (or stateless like us). we sent our inland sponsorship application in feb thanks to corona we haven’t heard anything from CIC.