+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland Sponsorship Questions

Extrix

May 17, 2011
Hey everyone,

I've been reading this forum quite a bit and had a few questions.

I'll start with a bit of background. My girlfriend and I met online in 2009 and have been together since. I have been to the United States numerous times to see her and finally decided I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her. I have been looking into going to live down there and also her coming up here.

I am hoping to get a new job which will pay a lot and if I get it, I want her to come here... plus, the job market is better here and medical, all that. Pretty much a better quality of life in general... I have been looking at the Inland spousal visa and had a few questions.

My fiance really wants to be living together when we get married and so I am wondering if it's possible for her to come to Canada with me after our honeymoon, for her to get in and then for us to apply for an Inland spousal visa? I don't think that's how it works, but it would be great.... or would she have to have a work permit or something like that? I am pretty much just wondering how we can be together after we are married. I know inland visa takes longer to process however that is no problem so I can be the financial support for her.

Thanks a lot,
Chris from Alberta

Habsfan

May 17, 2011
Hey Chris,

Im the guy who made the other thread you posted in by the way ;)

From what I understand.. if you apply from inside canada, it should be fairly easy to have her stay with you (apparently won't even have to renew her visitor status if she's american and you're doing an inland application.. at least that's what I read on these forums, but double check this before deciding to not apply for visitor extension if you take this route)

The only thing is that:
1) she cant travel outside canada until she has her PR (or at least would risk to see her PR application denied if she did)
2) no right of appeal in inland applications
3) the process is a lot longer

Now if you apply from outside canada, from what I understand, it should still be pretty easy to get her a visitor extension if you provide proof that your application is in progress and that you can provide for the both of you (since, I assume, she wouldn't have a work permit for the duration of the process)

So in both cases I think it's possible for her to stay with you while the application process is going on.. that's MY understanding of everything anyway, I'm not 100% sure of all what I said but hopefully it'll help, and hopefully someone who knows more about this will read my post and correct me if Im wrong! or approve if Im right :)

Cheers :)

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
I must correct one thing. Your wife will still be required to maintain legally valid status if you decide to apply Inland. You will have to request an extension of her visitor status regardless, as she will only be admitted for up to 6 months on initially arriving, and either applies to extend that status to remain in Canada, or leaves Canada and returns in order to "re-set" the clock.

Habsfan

May 17, 2011
CharlieD10 said:
I must correct one thing. Your wife will still be required to maintain legally valid status if you decide to apply Inland. You will have to request an extension of her visitor status regardless, as she will only be admitted for up to 6 months on initially arriving, and either applies to extend that status to remain in Canada, or leaves Canada and returns in order to "re-set" the clock.
Even for inland applications?

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
Yes, even for Inland applications. All visitors to Canada are responsible for ensuring they maintain legal status while in the country. It doesn't matter if she is applying for PR, you should ensure that if her visitor status is expiring when you apply for PR, you also apply to extend her visitor status. The application for extension should be made at least 30 days before her status is set to expire. That way, even if she doesn't receive the extension before the expiration date, she is on "implied status" until she receives the extension.

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
June 01, 2011[img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/SimsFC/icons/smileys/flag-canada.gif[/img] [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/patriot.gif[/img]
Or if they are submitting inland they can also maintain their visitor status by including an "Open Work Permit" application WITH the PR application. It would need to be received by Vegreville before the validity of the visitor status expires preferably 30 days BEFORE. Get tracking on your application to ensure when it was received and got there safely. If you are given AIP (9-10 months after they receive the application) then you will be issued the OWP (Open Work Permit). That will be your new status.

However, if you want to do this you need to take the following steps:
1. Ensure you have valid status
2. Follow the document checklist/make sure everything is included to process the OWP (Also pay necessary fees which is additional $150)
3. Write along the top of the OWP "Do not process before First Stage Approval" (this is what keeps your status valid)
4. Include the whole OWP application WITH the PR application in one envelope
5. Mail by courier or with tracking and make sure it is RECEIVED by Vegreville before the expiry of the status has passed

If you follow those steps then you will not need to continue to apply over and over again for an extension of your stay while they are processing your application for AIP and PR. If the OWP is submitted with the PR application and is RECEIVED by Vegreville before your status expires than you will be on "implied status" during the duration until they give you an answer about AIP. If you receive AIP then you will be then mailed the Open Work Permit and can begin working.

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
June 01, 2011[img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/SimsFC/icons/smileys/flag-canada.gif[/img] [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/patriot.gif[/img]
Habsfan said:
"won't even have to renew her visitor status if she's american and you're doing an inland application"
"at least that's what I read on these forums"
1. All people no matter the country have to maintain valid visitor status, most visa exempt nationals such as Americans are given 6 months to stay but can be given less (I was). After the 6 months or what ever your document expiry date is, you have to apply to extend this status. That does not matter whether you applying inland or outland either. All foreign nationals and all inland/outland applicants MUST keep their status valid. End of story.

2. Really? I would like to know where on the forums you got this information. You must have misinterpreted something or was given bad advice. If you have any inland questions, please don't be afraid to ask in the inlander threads.

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
Extrix said:
Hey everyone,

I've been reading this forum quite a bit and had a few questions.

I'll start with a bit of background. My girlfriend and I met online in 2009 and have been together since. I have been to the United States numerous times to see her and finally decided I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her. I have been looking into going to live down there and also her coming up here.

I am hoping to get a new job which will pay a lot and if I get it, I want her to come here... plus, the job market is better here and medical, all that. Pretty much a better quality of life in general... I have been looking at the Inland spousal visa and had a few questions.

My fiance really wants to be living together when we get married and so I am wondering if it's possible for her to come to Canada with me after our honeymoon, for her to get in and then for us to apply for an Inland spousal visa? I don't think that's how it works, but it would be great.... or would she have to have a work permit or something like that? I am pretty much just wondering how we can be together after we are married. I know inland visa takes longer to process however that is no problem so I can be the financial support for her.

Thanks a lot,
Chris from Alberta
Apply Outland! She can still stay with you during the process. What you need to do is cross with her, with proof of the application going to be submitted (payment receipt is good) or proof it already being submitted, and talk for her at the border stating you will provide for her during her stay. For more help for this portion I would recommend you consult RobsLuv or visit her site for appropriate information about it. Link here: http://www.us2canada.com/visitor_record.html Keep her status valid during the duration of the process if needed by applying for an extension. Again, apply Outland. You will thank me and anyone else recommending it later. The only reason myself, as an American, applied Inland were for far more personal circumstances and it suited our situation. However, in most cases, Americans are MUCH better off applying Outland. Good luck!

Lavenderyyt

Mar 29, 2011
Love_Young said:
1. All people no matter the country have to maintain valid visitor status, most visa exempt nationals such as Americans are given 6 months to stay but can be given less (I was). After the 6 months or what ever your document expiry date is, you have to apply to extend this status. That does not matter whether you applying inland or outland either. All foreign nationals and all inland/outland applicants MUST keep their status valid. End of story.

2. Really? I would like to know where on the forums you got this information. You must have misinterpreted something or was given bad advice. If you have any inland questions, please don't be afraid to ask in the inlander threads.
Hi, I have a question about status application. I have made a mistake by applying for my work permit extension seperately with my PR application. Then I got refused on my work permit extension. The CIC has recieved my PR application 2 months before my status expires and I have applied to extend my stays as a visitor 25 days before my work permit expired. Am I still to get my extension legally now?

Thanks