+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland sponsorship help

Hailthebeast

Oct 12, 2019
Hello all,

I am a Canadian citizen, my fiancé is a UK citizen and we are looking to get married soon so we can apply for spousal sponsorship through marriage to be able to bring him to Canada to live with me. We've been together for two years and have spent a month and a half together physically over the past two years we've been together and talk every day so proving our relationship is genuine will not be difficult. The CIC website was confusing so I called into them and spoke with a representative who explained the outland/inland kinds of applications. (from what I understand he will need an eTA to board the plane in the first place which is fine)

However the agent I spoke with informed me that if he comes here and we are married we can apply for inland sponsorship without him having any kind of visa??

To my knowledge without a visa he can only request a stay of up to 6 months at border entry and the application process would take longer than that to be approved in the first place?

I feel like what the agent told me was incorrect and seems shady to me if not illegal?

We are dedicated to doing this correctly as we do not want to hurt our chances of being approved.

Any help is appreciated, please let me know if I missed anything!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello all,

I am a Canadian citizen, my fiancé is a UK citizen and we are looking to get married soon so we can apply for spousal sponsorship through marriage to be able to bring him to Canada to live with me. We've been together for two years and have spent a month and a half together physically over the past two years we've been together and talk every day so proving our relationship is genuine will not be difficult. The CIC website was confusing so I called into them and spoke with a representative who explained the outland/inland kinds of applications. (from what I understand he will need an eTA to board the plane in the first place which is fine)

However the agent I spoke with informed me that if he comes here and we are married we can apply for inland sponsorship without him having any kind of visa??

To my knowledge without a visa he can only request a stay of up to 6 months at border entry and the application process would take longer than that to be approved in the first place?

I feel like what the agent told me was incorrect and seems shady to me if not illegal?

We are dedicated to doing this correctly as we do not want to hurt our chances of being approved.

Any help is appreciated, please let me know if I missed anything!
It isn't shady or illegal. It is perfectly fine for him to apply either inland or outland while in Canada as a visitor. If he applies inland, he can apply for an OWP to maintain his status. If he applies outland, he can apply for a visitor extension.

Hailthebeast

Oct 12, 2019
It isn't shady or illegal. It is perfectly fine for him to apply either inland or outland while in Canada as a visitor. If he applies inland, he can apply for an OWP to maintain his status. If he applies outland, he can apply for a visitor extension.
Thank you for the response! I was just so confused with everything, I find their website very hard to understand

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Correct, ETA is all that is required as being a Brit, they are visa-exempt.

Correct. But as a visitor, he is not allowed to work in Canada. You can apply for inland spousal sponsorship AND an Open Work Permit at the same time. OWP takes about 3 - 4 months to process, spousal sponsorship takes about 12 months. He could then work from when he gets the OWP.

You agent is quite correct. Nothing remotely illegal or even immoral about this, loads of people go this route.