+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland Sponsorship and Open Work Permits?

jforbus

Mar 1, 2012
My girlfriend and I have been dating long-distance for 6 years now, and while we love each other, neither of us can stand the distance any longer. She's in Ontario and I'm in Texas. We want to get married, and I want to move in with her in Canada.

The only thing is, we would have to be able to be together during the processing of my PR application. It seems like the best way to do that is by applying Inland, because I understand that sometimes an application for an Open Work Permit is included to be approved as soon as the sponsor is approved.

For an inland application, is there a way that I could wait in the US for first-stage and OWP approval, then relocate to Canada and start working? Can just anyone get an open work permit? Are there any risks? We want to get married, but for things to work we have to be fairly certain we'll be able to be together during the sometimes EXTREMELY lengthy approval process, and both of us will need to be able to work.

Any info you can provide would be helpful.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
jforbus said:
For an inland application, is there a way that I could wait in the US for first-stage and OWP approval, then relocate to Canada and start working?
No, you must be physically in Canada already in order to submit an INLAND application. So you would need to travel to Canada first as a visitor (so can't bring all your belongings), and then submit the inland app after you are here.

Can just anyone get an open work permit? Are there any risks?
Yes anyone who has legal status in Canada (as visitor, student or worker), can simply submit an OWP app along with their INLAND app, and should receive the OWP in around 4 months time.

We want to get married, but for things to work we have to be fairly certain we'll be able to be together during the sometimes EXTREMELY lengthy approval process, and both of us will need to be able to work.
Most US citizens are better off applying OUTLAND. OUTLAND apps are processed at the CPC-Ottawa office, and take around 1 year to complete. During this processing time there is no OWP, but you can continue to reside in Canada as a visitor, or remain in Texas and work there, or a combination of both, the choice is up to you.

With an INLAND app it takes approx 2 years to process, and you are expected to stay in Canada during that entire time.

jforbus

Mar 1, 2012
Rob_TO said:
Most US citizens are better off applying OUTLAND. OUTLAND apps are processed at the CPC-Ottawa office, and take around 1 year to complete. During this processing time there is no OWP, but you can continue to reside in Canada as a visitor, or remain in Texas and work there, or a combination of both, the choice is up to you.
Unfortunately, with my current job I'd have no way to get up there more than probably once during the Outland approval, and I'd be too much of a financial burden on her if I were to just live there as a visitor.

Seems like INLAND+OWP is my best bet, but will do more research. Thanks for the info, was really helpful.

Ontariobat

Star Member
Jul 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-01-2014
Passport Req..
[In Process: 03-07-2015 ; Decision Made: 14-07-2015 ; CoPR received 20-07-2015]
LANDED..........
28-07-2015! :) Lewiston, NY
If you were able to continue the long distance, you could do outland and remain in Texas (or visit once like you mentioned). Outland is quicker and allows you to come and go with more ease. Some applications will go through in 5 months, most 7-9 months... obviously other applications can get more complicated or delayed for unknown reasons.

I'd probably recommend outland since it will ensure you're both employed the entire time and not waiting for everything to clear before getting that OWP (some outland applications finish fully before the first stage approval would have happened). Then once everything is set you can just do the whole move up and job situation at once. Obviously each person's relationship and needs are different. Best of luck with your application!