+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland sponsorship and Open work permit

Alxcalways

Apr 1, 2021
Hey everyone, I'm very confused right now and hope somebody can help me answer a few questions. So currently I'm sponsoring my common law partner for PR via inland sponsorship, we also applied for an open work permit alongside it. We just sent in our application a few days ago.

He currently has a closed work permit which expires in late May this year, so since we sent the application before the expiry date I'm assuming he is on implied status even if we still haven't recieved anything from IRCC?

Just yesterday we received news that his grandma is very sick, his mom wants him to get back home to see his grandma in case she doesn't make it out of the hospital. And because of all the quarantine and travel restrictions, we are afraid that he won't be able to reenter Canada if his work permit expires while he is away. I read on the IRCC website that people might not be able to reenter Canada if they don't have a valid work permit. And if he's denied entry it might jeopardize the inland sponsorship. What can we do in this case? Is there any proof (like a payment receipt for the OWP) we can use to grant him reentry to Canada?

Usa2canada<3

Star Member
Feb 21, 2020
Ontario
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
13-08-2020
AOR Received.
11-25-2020
Hey everyone, I'm very confused right now and hope somebody can help me answer a few questions. So currently I'm sponsoring my common law partner for PR via inland sponsorship, we also applied for an open work permit alongside it. We just sent in our application a few days ago.

He currently has a closed work permit which expires in late May this year, so since we sent the application before the expiry date I'm assuming he is on implied status even if we still haven't recieved anything from IRCC?

Just yesterday we received news that his grandma is very sick, his mom wants him to get back home to see his grandma in case she doesn't make it out of the hospital. And because of all the quarantine and travel restrictions, we are afraid that he won't be able to reenter Canada if his work permit expires while he is away. I read on the IRCC website that people might not be able to reenter Canada if they don't have a valid work permit. And if he's denied entry it might jeopardize the inland sponsorship. What can we do in this case? Is there any proof (like a payment receipt for the OWP) we can use to grant him reentry to Canada?
If your spouse is denied entry into canada the inland sponsorship will be terminated..

While waiting for the owp application to go through they will have implied status and be able to continue work at that same employer.

implied status about change of conditions may be canceled but im not well versed in that scenario so take it with a grain of salt. there are special exemptions right now that they may qualify to enter canada as a visitor..
Its more secure if he comes back within the time limit of his closed permit.
Unfortunately its a big risk to leave Canada while the app is processing.. however some have been able to leave canada and come back no problem. so no one can give you a clear answer on whether the risk is worth it.. Every border agent is different and they have their own discretion..