+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland Sponsor & TRV - Mention PR intention in visitor visa cover letter?

San050403

Jun 8, 2021
I am a Canadian Permanent Resident. Newlywed, we got married recently in India and she is an Indian Citizen. I read CIC is aware of Dual Intentions during Temporary Residence Visa(TRV) application and Visitor Visa will still be processed separately and approved if its requirements are fulfilled.

We are considering the following route:
1. Apply for her Temporary Visitor Visa from India so that she can Travel to Canada. We can provide strong ties for her with India to prove she will return to India.
2. Once she is in Canada, apply for all three: Open Work Permit, sponsor application and PR application together (I read in CIC website that applying all three together is usual process). This Open Work Permit will help her stay until PR application is completed.

Now, my questions are:
1. Have you or any of your friends followed this route?
2. Is it ok to mention this dual intention plan in our Tourist Visa application as a note to Visa Officer? Will it work against our TRV Visitor Visa?
3. Should we mention this route in TRV application?

We feel it is better to be honest and let visa office know our intention. We are also planning to add details on worst case scenario that if her PR is not approved then we intend to live in India together until we find alternate options and that we do not intend to overstay in any case.

Input from anyone who is aware of this process is welcome!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
2. Is it ok to mention this dual intention plan in our Tourist Visa application as a note to Visa Officer? Will it work against our TRV Visitor Visa?

We feel it is better to be honest and let visa office know our intention. We are also planning to add details on worst case scenario that if her PR is not approved then we intend to live in India together until we find alternate options and that we do not intend to overstay in any case.

If you explicitly mention the dual intent in TRV application, it will almost certainly be refused. Dual intent is basically relevant at port of entry. Emphasize the ties to home country above all.

As a PR, you cannot sponsor her from outside Canada - you must be physically in Canada, and continue to reside in Canada (short trips are okay), and if IRCC decides you are residing outside Canada, they can cancel the app.

Hope you get the TRV, but rates of refusal are high and you should be prepared that if not granted, you may have to live apart while the PR app is being processed.

San050403

Jun 8, 2021
If you explicitly mention the dual intent in TRV application, it will almost certainly be refused. Dual intent is basically relevant at port of entry. Emphasize the ties to home country above all.

As a PR, you cannot sponsor her from outside Canada - you must be physically in Canada, and continue to reside in Canada (short trips are okay), and if IRCC decides you are residing outside Canada, they can cancel the app.

Hope you get the TRV, but rates of refusal are high and you should be prepared that if not granted, you may have to live apart while the PR app is being processed.
Thank you for the reply. As you stated, I am planning to begin the PR sponsor once I am back in Canada and just begin TRV while in India now.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for the reply. As you stated, I am planning to begin the PR sponsor once I am back in Canada and just begin TRV while in India now.
Think the comment was directed at your plans on living with your spouse in India if you get denied and find an alternate option. As a PR you’ll still need to live in Canada to sponsor a spouse and you will need to be compliant with your RO.

Reactions: armoured

San050403

Jun 8, 2021
Think the comment was directed at your plans on living with your spouse in India if you get denied and find an alternate option. As a PR you’ll still need to live in Canada to sponsor a spouse and you will need to be compliant with your RO.
Yep, understood. :) Like @armoured mentioned I think I will emphasize more on her ties to India in TRV and work on those documents.

I am more interested in finding if anyone were straightforward and was still successful and got TRV even after stating such intention.

hoppe-0

Nov 23, 2021
I am a Canadian Permanent Resident. Newlywed, we got married recently in India and she is an Indian Citizen. I read CIC is aware of Dual Intentions during Temporary Residence Visa(TRV) application and Visitor Visa will still be processed separately and approved if its requirements are fulfilled.

We are considering the following route:
1. Apply for her Temporary Visitor Visa from India so that she can Travel to Canada. We can provide strong ties for her with India to prove she will return to India.
2. Once she is in Canada, apply for all three: Open Work Permit, sponsor application and PR application together (I read in CIC website that applying all three together is usual process). This Open Work Permit will help her stay until PR application is completed.

Now, my questions are:
1. Have you or any of your friends followed this route?

Hi, San, how's your process going, is it successful?