+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland/Outland indecisiveness!

natcat7000

Mar 15, 2016
Right. I've read loads online, and probably know the answer but in case I've missed something:

Canadian wife/British husband plus our two children wanting to move from UK to Canada soon. Family Visa application being prepared. I suppose I want the speed of the Outland application with the ability to get a fairly quick Work Visa of the Inland. But then so does everyone!

- Have received offer on our house which we would like to accept and sell up.
- Moving, renting and staying in UK much longer isn't ideal for various reasons, we'd just like to be in Canada with Canadian family getting established.
- However, husband has sister's UK wedding to attend in October this year so must travel (which I believe COULD be a problem with Inland application?)
- Generally, being unable to travel generally makes me a bit skittish.
- Rather large issue of how to continue with making an income. Husband works (at a more lucrative career than me) and I look after our two small children at the moment.

Essentially, is there anyway to apply now via Outland application, all of us move to Canada soon (husband as visitor) and then somehow get a Work Visa sorted (through spousal sponsorship style channels)?

Again, I just want to be very sure that I haven't missed anything.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
outland applicants are not eligible for the work permit specific to the spousal sponsorship, and it's really not the best practice to base your decision on that factor alone. he can certainly apply for other work permits, assuming he's qualified and finds an employer willing to go through the LMIA process (timely and expensive).

inland will certain limit your husband's freedom to travel, even with a work permit. again, this is NOT recommended for UK citizens.

for uk outland applicants you're looking at a 6-10 month wait as opposed to a 2+ year wait with inland. when looked at this way, is the 4-5 month it takes to get an open work permit as an inland applicant really going to give someone that much of a head start, when they are stuck in limbo for 2 years anyway?

Your husband can certainly come to canada as a visitor and wait out the process while here, just make sure to have a copy of the pr app, fees paid and use the correct language. HE is not moving or living in canada until pr is approved, even though you and your kids are. HE is visiting until pr is approved. if he needs to work, i'd suggest he look into remote working options with either his current company or freelance. as long as he's not working for a canadian employer or servicing canadian clients, he can work remotely while in canada as a visitor.

really there is no reason for indecisiveness. apply outland. you and your husband will be much happier in the long run.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Essentially, is there anyway to apply now via Outland application, all of us move to Canada soon (husband as visitor) and then somehow get a Work Visa sorted (through spousal sponsorship style channels)?
I agree with CDNPR... the only ways to get a work visa are via LMIA or IEC. However I would just not worry about the work visa, apply as soon as you can outland. Your husband can visit Canada while the process is going, just don't say he's living there to the CBSA agent (though you can to CIC), and bring proof of his PR application in process. It's also a good idea to show proof you intend to move to Canada when you apply.