+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland or Outland

STCVer

Apr 10, 2013
Hi Folks - I have a question for the group here. I am trying to sponsor my spouse for Canadian PR. We both are currently located in the USA, and planning to move toe Canada in next few months. As I am planning to sponsor my spouse, she does not have PR or visitor's visa to join me. What is the best option for her to accompany me to Canada and be able to work there as soon as possible? would you recommend inland or outland processing of PR in current scenario? Which option could lead to earlier eligbility to work in Canada?

Will really appreciate any advice here. Thanks in advance. Stay Safe!

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I assume that you are Canadian citizen since you planned to apply while you are in US.
As you stated, she does not have PR or visitor's visa now, so first step is to get visitor visa so that she can enter Canada.
It's not clear if she is from a visa exempted country, if so, she only needs eTA, if not visitor visa but she needs proof of ties to home country.

If visitor visa is refused, then she can only apply outland and wait till PR is approved to travel to Canada.

Reactions: STCVer and armoured

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
OK! I was WRONG. OP just assumed it can be done.
I found older posts and I think OP landed as PR in 2018. So I don't think he's a citizen yet.
OP will need to relocated back to Canada before applying for sponsorship. If his wife cannot get a visitor visa, then he can only apply outland and they will be seperated for the processing time (12 months +)

Reactions: STCVer and armoured

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
The OP hasn't said what the spouse's citizenship is. If American no need for visa or ETA, we need more info from the OP.

STCVer

Apr 10, 2013
I assume that you are Canadian citizen since you planned to apply while you are in US.
As you stated, she does not have PR or visitor's visa now, so first step is to get visitor visa so that she can enter Canada.
It's not clear if she is from a visa exempted country, if so, she only needs eTA, if not visitor visa but she needs proof of ties to home country.

If visitor visa is refused, then she can only apply outland and wait till PR is approved to travel to Canada.
I am not a citizen yet so I will have move to Canada to sponsor her. We have applied for her visitor VISA.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
I am not a Citizen yet.
So you need to return to Canada before filing for sponsorship. If her TRV is approved she can join you on that and you can file inland and for an open work permit which takes several months to process. Or you can file outland now and remain separated until her TRV is approved.

Reactions: STCVer

STCVer

Apr 10, 2013
OK! I was WRONG. OP just assumed it can be done.
I found older posts and I think OP landed as PR in 2018. So I don't think he's a citizen yet.
OP will need to relocated back to Canada before applying for sponsorship. If his wife cannot get a visitor visa, then he can only apply outland and they will be seperated for the processing time (12 months +)
Thanks. What takes less time to get PR Outland or Inland processing? Also what happens if I relocate to Canada start the processing and in between travel to US again? Would that have any impact on her PR proessing?

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Outland has traditionally been faster but both are around 12+ months now. You can come and go from Canada as long as you continue to meet the RO. (I assume you are in compliance because you need to be to sponsor her.) If you file inland, she should not be absent from Canada for more than a couple of weeks until approved.

STCVer

Apr 10, 2013
Outland has traditionally been faster but both are around 12+ months now. You can come and go from Canada as long as you continue to meet the RO. (I assume you are in compliance because you need to be to sponsor her.) If you file inland, she should not be absent from Canada for more than a couple of weeks until approved.
Thanks. What does RO mean here?

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Residence obligation. To maintain your PR status and to be eligible to sponsor someone you must be in Canada for two years (730 days) in any five year period.

STCVer

Apr 10, 2013
Residence obligation. To maintain your PR status and to be eligible to sponsor someone you must be in Canada for two years (730 days) in any five year period.
Thanks. Wait - i have not yet 2 years in Canada.
Does that mean I can not sponsor my spouse ?