+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

inland or outland?? thanks!

malcesine

Oct 31, 2008
Hello everyone,

My boyfriend and I are getting married. We have a few questions. First of all, I'm a Canadian Citizen (born in Canada) and my boyfriend is from a Visa-exempt country. Since we have family in both places, we were wondering where we should get married in Canada or abroad (we want to live in Canada after we marry). Second question, after we are married should we apply inland or outland and, if you suggest outland, can he be here in Canada while waiting??

Thanks for any advice!! Good luck to the rest of you!!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is usually faster to apply outland. If you do, he is allowed to stay in Canada while it's in process as long as he doesn't overstay his 6 months visitor allowance. If he wants to stay longer than 6 months, he can apply to extend his visitor status though.

bonbon9

Jul 7, 2010
ON, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
MX
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/15/2010
AOR Received.
12/02/2010
File Transfer...
10/14/2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
02/23/2011
LANDED..........
05/17/2011
malcesine said:
Since we have family in both places, we were wondering where we should get married in Canada or abroad (we want to live in Canada after we marry).
Hi!

This is totally your choice. CIC doesn't care about where you get married, as long as you provide a valid marriage certificate translated into english or french. You should check your regional specific guide to see if the marriage certificate needs to be certified and by which government entity.
Of course, getting married in Canada would make this step simple, as you would only need a copy of your marriage certificate. :)
But it's totally your choice. Congratulations!