+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland Family Class Sponsorship: Interview at Airport/Tourist Visa

WilliamShakesBeer

Oct 13, 2017
Hello everyone :)

At the end of December, I will fly to Toronto. Once being there, my common law partner (Canadian citizen) and I want to apply for an inland Family Class Sponsorship.

At the moment, I'm wondering about the interview at the airport (on arrival). On the Canadian government page I read that visitors get issued a tourist visa only if they can convince the authorities that they will leave at the end of their stay and don't intend to work.

Obviously, I do not want to leave after my tourist visa is expired. So, what would be the best to tell the authorities? Is it commonly accepted that one comes to Canada to apply for an inland sponsorship, i.e. will they issue a tourist visa? Or will this be a problem? In that case, should I just say that I'm visiting my common law partner for that moment?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What visitor visa are talking about? Are you a Germany citizen?

1. They will ask you if you have your return ticket , for how long you are going to stay, what you are going to do while in Canada (travel/visit friends of your partner) .
2. They will ask you about your ties in homeland (what JOB at home you have , are you on vacation, funds to support yourself in Canada during your visit, place to live in homeland , anything that they believe will make you want to go back home)
3. They may let you stay 6 months or just as long as you claim you will visit (less then 6 months).
4. There is an unspoken rule that you may change your mind (from visiting to staying forever with you partner) on the 61st day of your stay. Earlier than that and CIC could consider that your initial intention was not to visit but to stay and that you lied to the border officer about that.
5. However, if you have feasible proof that your relationship is genuine, the only harm CIC could make- to process your application for PR as long as they possibly could.

Reactions: WilliamShakesBeer

WilliamShakesBeer

Oct 13, 2017
Thanks for your answer, Regina :)

Yes, I'm a German citizen. I was talking about the normal visitor visa a tourist gets. I guess I'll need such a visa first in order to enter the country and apply for sponsorship.

Reading your point 4, you're suggesting to say that I'm just visiting and start to apply after two months?

Do you have any idea what would happen if I would say right from the beginning that I came to Canada to apply for sponsorship? Would they even let me into the country?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone :)

At the end of December, I will fly to Toronto. Once being there, my common law partner (Canadian citizen) and I want to apply for an inland Family Class Sponsorship.

At the moment, I'm wondering about the interview at the airport (on arrival). On the Canadian government page I read that visitors get issued a tourist visa only if they can convince the authorities that they will leave at the end of their stay and don't intend to work.

Obviously, I do not want to leave after my tourist visa is expired. So, what would be the best to tell the authorities? Is it commonly accepted that one comes to Canada to apply for an inland sponsorship, i.e. will they issue a tourist visa? Or will this be a problem? In that case, should I just say that I'm visiting my common law partner for that moment?

Thanks in advance for any help :)
Hi

Be honest but don't volunteer anything if they don't ask. You are entering as a visitor and do not yet have the right to live in Canada. Pay the PR fees and start the app ahead of time; if CBSA does ask further questions, you can show them that you know the proper process to immigrate and are following it.

Reactions: WilliamShakesBeer

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
4. There is an unspoken rule that you may change your mind (from visiting to staying forever with you partner) on the 61st day of your stay. Earlier than that and CIC could consider that your initial intention was not to visit but to stay and that you lied to the border officer about that.
??

This is BS.

WilliamShakesBeer

Oct 13, 2017
Pay the PR fees and start the app ahead of time
We plan to do an in-Canada sponsorship. At the time of my arrival, I won't have started the application and neither payed the fees.

That's why I was wondering if they will issue a tourist visa when I tell them I came to apply for sponsorship. Or if I would be better off to say that I'm just visiting my partner for a few months.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
We plan to do an in-Canada sponsorship. At the time of my arrival, I won't have started the application and neither payed the fees.

That's why I was wondering if they will issue a tourist visa when I tell them I came to apply for sponsorship. Or if I would be better off to say that I'm just visiting my partner for a few months.
You can and should pay the fees and start the app ahead of time.