+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland Dependent Child Sponsorship While Unemployed

MarcusErectus

Nov 14, 2019
Hello, it's me again, I've had some posts on here before about immigration in general, but this I think is the most important one yet.

While I've read on the Canada gov website that sponsorships while on EI or CERB won't affect the eligibility, I do have some doubts. I was on EI parental leave for 35 weeks from Sep 2019 to May 2020. Currently, I am receiving CERB since June 2020 since I am not eligible for EI anymore and I couldn't find work due to COVID. My wife landed officially on Sep 10, 2020 with my 1 year old son and I am sponsoring him who is a US Citizen (reference thread) while we are here in Ontario.

Can my sponsorship for my child be denied because of unemployment and/or me being on government benefits such as CRB? I have savings/funds to support my child and my wife until I can get a job and I have written a letter stating the reason as to why on the Financial Evaluation form. My wife is 7 weeks pregnant as well and had never worked since she got pregnant with my 1 year old in the beginning of January 2019.

Thank you.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, it's me again, I've had some posts on here before about immigration in general, but this I think is the most important one yet.

While I've read on the Canada gov website that sponsorships while on EI or CERB won't affect the eligibility, I do have some doubts. I was on EI parental leave for 35 weeks from Sep 2019 to May 2020. Currently, I am receiving CERB since June 2020 since I am not eligible for EI anymore and I couldn't find work due to COVID. My wife landed officially on Sep 10, 2020 with my 1 year old son and I am sponsoring him who is a US Citizen (reference thread) while we are here in Ontario.

Can my sponsorship for my child be denied because of unemployment and/or me being on government benefits such as CRB? I have savings/funds to support my child and my wife until I can get a job and I have written a letter stating the reason as to why on the Financial Evaluation form. My wife is 7 weeks pregnant as well and had never worked since she got pregnant with my 1 year old in the beginning of January 2019.

Thank you.
Yes if you have enough savings you should be fine but it would be much better if you startEd working since you haven’t worked in a very long time.