+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland COPR, can't travel out of country until PR card arrives?

clynne

Star Member
Jun 5, 2020
Category........
FSW
Hi all! I'm looking for advice/clarification on my situation. I originally applied for EE FSW as an Outland applicant (US Citizen) but have been present in Canada since July 2020 on a visitor visa since I have a Canadian spouse. For all intents and purposes, I believe they granted my COPR because I was already physically present in Canada.

I received my digital COPR document from IRCC on June 3, 2021 and sent my photos and a copy of the letter back to IRCC the next day (per the letter's instructions). Shortly after, I booked a trip for August to visit my family back in America. However, I was recently told that I am not allowed to travel out of the country until I receive my physical PR card. I called IRCC about this and they told me that I likely won't be let back in, even with my COPR document, and that I am not eligible to apply for a PRTD because those are only "awarded under extenuating circumstances". They confirmed that they received my documents but said that all I can do is wait and that the average processing is 133 days for new PR cards.

Am I out of options then? I would really love to go and visit my family since I haven't seen them for many months now. My flight back home is scheduled for August 3 so I am feeling really stressed to figure this out ASAP.

Last edited:

MelTranel

Star Member
Apr 14, 2021
Hi all! I'm looking for advice/clarification on my situation. I originally applied for EE FSW as an Outland applicant (US Citizen) but have been present in Canada since July 2020 on a visitor visa since I have a Canadian spouse. For all intents and purposes, I believe they granted my COPR because I was already physically present in Canada.

I received my digital COPR document from IRCC on June 3, 2021 and sent my photos and a copy of the letter back to IRCC the next day (per the letter's instructions). Shortly after, I booked a trip for August to visit my family back in America. However, I was recently told that I am not allowed to travel out of the country until I receive my physical PR card. I called IRCC about this and they told me that I likely won't be let back in, even with my COPR document, and that I am not eligible to apply for a PRTD because those are only "awarded under extenuating circumstances". They confirmed that they received my documents but said that all I can do is wait and that the average processing is 133 days for new PR cards.

Am I out of options then? I would really love to go and visit my family since I haven't seen them for many months now. My flight back home is scheduled for August 3 so I am feeling really stressed to figure this out ASAP.
The only way to return back without PR card is by crossing land border in a private vehicle. You should be let back in as you are officially a PR as of date of issuance of your COPR document, and they will have this info on land border, while airlines/buses won’t be able to confirm such info

Reactions: clynne

Spiritofgod

Feb 8, 2020
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
22-03-2020

You may consider this, but at your own risk.

Find someone to receive the PR card and then mail to your US address so that you will have the physical PR card when you return to Canada.

Klaverveld

May 19, 2019
Netherlands
NOC Code......
You may consider this, but at your own risk.

Find someone to receive the PR card and then mail to your US address so that you will have the physical PR card when you return to Canada.
Is it allowed to mail the PR-card to an Andreas outside of Canada?
I've read somewhere (don't know where anymore) that border security will pick out envelopes with items like that and hold them until you van show you are currently in Canada

clynne

Star Member
Jun 5, 2020
Category........
FSW
The only way to return back without PR card is by crossing land border in a private vehicle. You should be let back in as you are officially a PR as of date of issuance of your COPR document, and they will have this info on land border, while airlines/buses won’t be able to confirm such info
my understanding is that I need to be able to show proof of citizenship and identity though, and I am not a citizen of Canada. do you know anything about this?

MelTranel

Star Member
Apr 14, 2021
my understanding is that I need to be able to show proof of citizenship and identity though, and I am not a citizen of Canada. do you know anything about this?
My understanding is that I can have my country’s travel passport and COPR document with me when coming back trough land border in a private vehicle.

Maybe also try calling CBSA office to discuss it

clynne

Star Member
Jun 5, 2020
Category........
FSW
My understanding is that I can have my country’s travel passport and COPR document with me when coming back trough land border in a private vehicle.

Maybe also try calling CBSA office to discuss it
I will have to call them, thanks