+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland common law sponsorship - snag

rio5

Nov 9, 2016
Hey all,

On April 1st 2017 I came up to Toronto from Florida to begin the immigration process with my partner, who is a Canadian citizen living in Toronto. We explored different avenues of how to pursue immigration so we could be together, and after a consult with an immigration firm, we decided to do as follows:

1. Establish a common law relationship by moving to Canada and living together for 1 year
2. After the 1 year was up, we would be considered common law and he could sponsor me as his common law spouse. We would then submit my PR application.
3. As far as staying in the country, I would technically be a visitor with no status, but I was granted a visitor's record for 6 months and would apply again for another 6 month extension. Because I travel so much, I did not apply for the 6 month extension as I was told there was no need. I leave the country every 1-2 months either to travel with my partner, or go back to the states for family/work.

I was 100% honest with my intentions when I came into the country, and they called my partner to verify the story and make sure he was going to sponsor me. I was sent to Secondary and was given my first visitor's record and a smile with 'good luck and welcome to Canada'. In April 2018, we began assembling my PR application and sent away for my FBI police check. We didn't realize this process took so long. It's September now, and I'm still waiting for the results.

Going in and out of the country often with Nexus, I rarely have issues. I have been stopped a few times, I've explained my story, and they let me back into Canada with no issues.

A couple of months ago, we came back from a trip to Europe and we encountered a passport check at Pearson airport at the ramp coming off the plane (there were issues from that flight from Iceland previously, so they were doing double checks). The ICE officer twisted my words and told me I had been living in Canada illegally for a year. I was detained while he checked the rest of the plane, then later after explanation, he said I should next time say I am living here with dual intent, to avoid hassle/clarification issues.

On Saturday, we took a day trip to Buffalo, NY via car and came back through the border via the rainbow bridge. I was detained again, after saying I was living here with dual intent (the officer said he didn't know what that meant and I was sent to secondary). At this point, I've been living in Canada for 1 year and 5 months. After lengthy explanations, I was told that what we did was sneaky/underhanded and not what the immigration law was meant for. The officer told me that this classification was meant for spouses who had already established common law outside of the country, and were moving back into Canada together, "not for boyfriends and girlfriends to live with each other". She said I could enter the country again this time because I was lucky -- technically now we had established common law, but that I shouldn't have been granted entry the first time in April 2017. Also, we both make good enough money so I wasn't a drain on Canada's resources and what we did wasn't technically illegal. She said the immigration officer in April 2017 must have misunderstood and thought we were already common law, because the true explanation wouldn't have been allowed. We have been upfront about our situation every time we cross the border.

This is the first time we've experienced this "you are outside of the law". Did this officer misinterpret immigration law, or have we and every other officer we've encountered until now? It was our understanding that many people pursue PR this way, when they've met someone out of country. We were coached by our immigration firm that this was just fine, and we were told what information we should be collecting this past year to prove common law cohabitation.

To be told now that we are outside the law is a little disconcerting.

Our forward path at this time is to do everything we can to get the PR application in the mail by tomorrow at the latest, to show "forward progress" as we were warned by this officer. First thing this morning, I was re-fingerprinted and we are this time sending in the police check request to the FBI online, as it's much faster (we didn't know this before, and have been waiting 4.5 months via mail submission). The officer told me the PR application can be submitted without a police check, that can be done later. Is this correct? She also warned us she is putting a note in the computer to not allow me re-entry into Canada without a PR application being submitted. The kicker is, I'm leaving again in two weeks for a short work trip to Thailand which isn't an option to cancel at this point, so I'm worried about re-entry. Hopefully with Nexus it won't be questioned but not something I want to leave to chance.

Obviously we should have known beforehand that the FBI check could take so long, my fault, I should have been ready to submit for PR in April. But, we can't go back in time. Besides that, did we do this the wrong way? Are we really outside of the law?

1887CAN

Star Member
Sep 19, 2018
Hey all,

On April 1st 2017 I came up to Toronto from Florida to begin the immigration process with my partner, who is a Canadian citizen living in Toronto. We explored different avenues of how to pursue immigration so we could be together, and after a consult with an immigration firm, we decided to do as follows:

1. Establish a common law relationship by moving to Canada and living together for 1 year
2. After the 1 year was up, we would be considered common law and he could sponsor me as his common law spouse. We would then submit my PR application.
3. As far as staying in the country, I would technically be a visitor with no status, but I was granted a visitor's record for 6 months and would apply again for another 6 month extension. Because I travel so much, I did not apply for the 6 month extension as I was told there was no need. I leave the country every 1-2 months either to travel with my partner, or go back to the states for family/work.

I was 100% honest with my intentions when I came into the country, and they called my partner to verify the story and make sure he was going to sponsor me. I was sent to Secondary and was given my first visitor's record and a smile with 'good luck and welcome to Canada'. In April 2018, we began assembling my PR application and sent away for my FBI police check. We didn't realize this process took so long. It's September now, and I'm still waiting for the results.

Going in and out of the country often with Nexus, I rarely have issues. I have been stopped a few times, I've explained my story, and they let me back into Canada with no issues.

A couple of months ago, we came back from a trip to Europe and we encountered a passport check at Pearson airport at the ramp coming off the plane (there were issues from that flight from Iceland previously, so they were doing double checks). The ICE officer twisted my words and told me I had been living in Canada illegally for a year. I was detained while he checked the rest of the plane, then later after explanation, he said I should next time say I am living here with dual intent, to avoid hassle/clarification issues.

On Saturday, we took a day trip to Buffalo, NY via car and came back through the border via the rainbow bridge. I was detained again, after saying I was living here with dual intent (the officer said he didn't know what that meant and I was sent to secondary). At this point, I've been living in Canada for 1 year and 5 months. After lengthy explanations, I was told that what we did was sneaky/underhanded and not what the immigration law was meant for. The officer told me that this classification was meant for spouses who had already established common law outside of the country, and were moving back into Canada together, "not for boyfriends and girlfriends to live with each other". She said I could enter the country again this time because I was lucky -- technically now we had established common law, but that I shouldn't have been granted entry the first time in April 2017. Also, we both make good enough money so I wasn't a drain on Canada's resources and what we did wasn't technically illegal. She said the immigration officer in April 2017 must have misunderstood and thought we were already common law, because the true explanation wouldn't have been allowed. We have been upfront about our situation every time we cross the border.

This is the first time we've experienced this "you are outside of the law". Did this officer misinterpret immigration law, or have we and every other officer we've encountered until now? It was our understanding that many people pursue PR this way, when they've met someone out of country. We were coached by our immigration firm that this was just fine, and we were told what information we should be collecting this past year to prove common law cohabitation.

To be told now that we are outside the law is a little disconcerting.

Our forward path at this time is to do everything we can to get the PR application in the mail by tomorrow at the latest, to show "forward progress" as we were warned by this officer. First thing this morning, I was re-fingerprinted and we are this time sending in the police check request to the FBI online, as it's much faster (we didn't know this before, and have been waiting 4.5 months via mail submission). The officer told me the PR application can be submitted without a police check, that can be done later. Is this correct? She also warned us she is putting a note in the computer to not allow me re-entry into Canada without a PR application being submitted. The kicker is, I'm leaving again in two weeks for a short work trip to Thailand which isn't an option to cancel at this point, so I'm worried about re-entry. Hopefully with Nexus it won't be questioned but not something I want to leave to chance.

Obviously we should have known beforehand that the FBI check could take so long, my fault, I should have been ready to submit for PR in April. But, we can't go back in time. Besides that, did we do this the wrong way? Are we really outside of the law?
Firstly, don’t worry about what you could’ve done differently, it doesn’t matter now. You’re doing the right thing by expediting the PR application. There’s a lot to be said for having that in the system so it’s visible not only to IRCC, but to the CBSA.

On this topic, I’m not sure if the application is visible to the CBSA when IRCC (CPC Mississauga) receive it, or only when IRCC has issued AoR (Acknowledgement of Receipt) which is the first formal contact you’ll have with IRCC. Bear in mind AoR takes anywhere from 6-12 weeks on average to receive. Sometimes it can be longer. If you leave the country before you’ve received AoR, you’re taking a monumental risk. The CBSA officer already advised she’d be making a note on the system to no allow re-entry until you can prove a PR application has been submitted. You could bring your copy of the application with payment receipt, etc and hope they accept that. You may be lucky again and be allowed through without impediment. However, considering that admission isn’t guaranteed to anyone other than PR status holders and Canadian citizens, you leaving here again, to me, sounds like a terrible idea.

I’ve just been issued my OWP, actual IRCC issued status to allow me to work, get OHIP coverage, etc. And even that document warns that re-entry to Canada isn’t guaranteed if I decide to leave. It’s all up to the CBSA officer that processes you at the PoE. As a visitor who has been warned twice, on separate occasions, about potential immigration violations, you’re really rolling the dice here. The CBSA won’t care if it was business or pleasure. You left and your fate will be in their hands. This is, of course, worst case scenario stuff. But it has happened before. If you’re refused admission, your application will be considered abandoned and will be declined. Your only hope is then an outland application from the US. This time you’ll have to declare that you’ve been previously refused admission into Canada and explain yourself accordingly.

As for the conflicting statements from the CBSA, this can, and does happen. They’re given a lot of autonomy in their decision making and they can bend or enforce the rules outside of set guidelines. Dual intent is supposed to be for existing common law and married couples, to be allowed admission to be together during processing of the application. Canada is one of the few countries that actually allows this. Dual intent isn’t for you to be allowed to gain common status. However, as your lawyer stated, they do sometimes allow it, and your first CBSA officer did allow it. They were good to you in that sense. They don’t have to allow you in to gain common law status.

Had you remained in Canada for the first 6 months, and then extended your stay for another 6 months by obtaining another visitor record, you’d have been fine. I believe that a visitor record does allow cross land border travel with the US, without you needing to go into secondary inspection every time. By air, I don’t think this applies.

The fact you’ve come and gone so often is obviously raising red flags with the CBSA, as you’re living here at their mercy essentially. In hindsight, not leaving for the 12 months would have been way better for you, even if you don’t feel it would be. You’re not on the CBSA radar if you’re just chilling in Canada and not being assessed by them every couple of months.

It’s too late to change what’s happened now, so don’t worry about. Get that application in, even with a note explaining the lack of FBI check. Tell IRCC you’ll send it to follow the initial package. That way, if you do leave again, the package is in and the CBSA may be able to see it on the system. Take a copy with when you leave, as I said before. You’ll need it.

It’s your call what you from here, but as someone who’s read the forum often for a couple years, there’s many horror stories of people who took the CBSA for granted, thought they could convince them of something, appeal to their better nature, etc, only to find themselves being turned away. In the last 17 months they’ve afforded you a lot of flexibility and understanding. You’ve probably been very close to being refused admission without knowing it. I wouldn’t push your luck much further, but if you do, keep us posted as to what happens. It’ll either be another lucky break, or you logging in from Florida recounting one of the worst experiences of your life. Good luck, I really hope it all works out for you and your partner.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You've been given great advice above. I only have a few things to add. The first is to avoid the day trips to Buffalo - these are unnecessary and create huge risks. The second is to be aware that the Nexus card doesn't protect you from being pulled into secondary. The third is to have a back-up plan in the event you are ever denied entry into Canada (hopefully you don't need it but better safe).

While you've broken no law, you are effectively living in Canada as a visitor which is frowned upon by CBSA and this is "technically" a misuse of visitor status. Going in and out of Canada frequently significantly increases the chances of problems - so you want to minimize that as much as possible now that you've had issues and may be flagged in the system. I went through this with my (American) husband before he became a PR. He had a Nexus card and traveled a fair amount for business. I worried each and every time he had to re-enter Canada (even with the Nexus card) given how much time he was spending in Canada with me.

Definitely get your PR application in as soon as humanly possible. It really doesn't help your case at the border that you have delayed applying for so long after you qualified.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1887CAN and np08

rio5

Nov 9, 2016
Thanks for the great advice. I submitted my application less the FBI check on Friday, and it arrived at the Mississauga CBC today. Cancelling my trip this week isn't an option, as it would put two very big companies in a big bind and leave me without a job. However, I am going to bring my proof of receipt, receipt of payment, and I have a digital copy of my application handy should I need it for any reason. I know it's a risk, and I ache knowing I have to make it. But it's a calculated risk, at least. Thanks again for the great advice.

Once the FBI check comes in, should I submit it to the CPC separately or wait for them to request it?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would also include proof of your US address which is one of the things you should also have kept since you are still a visitor. Also hopefully your work has no offices or clients in Canada because if so you shouldn't be working.

rio5

Nov 9, 2016
I still have my driver's license and legally keep an address in Florida.
My company is 100% US based company, I work remotely. Having that decently paying job is one of the only reasons they let me back into Canada when I had my snafu in Buffalo, because I wasn't a drain on Canada's resources.