+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland Common-Law PR OWP Pilot program Travelling outside of Canada

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes I would also call myself the first official test subject to do this and I had no issues at all.

As soon as they saw my work permit that was enough.

matt_bilbo

Jul 28, 2015
Hey James, did you need to show proof of a return flight when boarding in the UK to satisfy UK authorities etc? currently weighing up the risk to travel back next may for my sisters wedding. Will have the OWP by then. Were they completely fine with you re-entering? no questions asked? Il be travelling with my wife who is a Canadian citizen and I'm a UK citizen, I know there is always slight risk. I was here on a working visa in 2010 and went to Cancun with less than 10 days remaining on my permit. Apart from a slightly furrowed brow by the CBSA agent and a rather stern "so will you be leaving next week sir?" they let me back in. Slightly less riding on it back then and I guess we get a little more cautious when the alternative is having to start from scratch in the UK but any insight from your own experience is greatly appreciated. As for other members of the forum I have read and read these forums over and over so I am fully aware of the risks no matter how large or small so please spare me the standard quoting and this has been asked before BS, what hasn't been posted much is peoples actual stories of trying so don't release the Kraken on me!! Thanks.

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
matt_bilbo said:
Hey James, did you need to show proof of a return flight when boarding in the UK to satisfy UK authorities etc? currently weighing up the risk to travel back next may for my sisters wedding. Will have the OWP by then. Were they completely fine with you re-entering? no questions asked? Il be travelling with my wife who is a Canadian citizen and I'm a UK citizen, I know there is always slight risk. I was here on a working visa in 2010 and went to Cancun with less than 10 days remaining on my permit. Apart from a slightly furrowed brow by the CBSA agent and a rather stern "so will you be leaving next week sir?" they let me back in. Slightly less riding on it back then and I guess we get a little more cautious when the alternative is having to start from scratch in the UK but any insight from your own experience is greatly appreciated. As for other members of the forum I have read and read these forums over and over so I am fully aware of the risks no matter how large or small so please spare me the standard quoting and this has been asked before BS, what hasn't been posted much is peoples actual stories of trying so don't release the Kraken on me!! Thanks.
I had no issues at all going back to England for the two weeks. When I arrived there I even used the automatic Scan passport check in so I just scanned my passport and they let me in, I didn't even line up to see a person to check my passport.

Coming back into Canada was easy too. Handed them my British passport and also my Open Work permit they checked my work permit and I also said at the same time that I'm currently being process for PR and she knew that also and they let me in.

matt_bilbo

Jul 28, 2015
Thanks for your response James, I have no issues at all with getting into the UK as i am a UK citizen on a UK passport. What i meant was, when you left the UK to return to Canada did you have a return flight to the UK to satisfy UK authorities to let you leave. As a work permit isn't a means of entry to Canada and at the time you weren't a PR so no PR card you were technically in a grey area. Don't get me wrong it would be great if i only have to pay for 2 flights instead of 3 and then having to cancel that "made up" return flight to the UK once in Canada just to be allowed to leave UK in the first place!! I know from previous experience with working offshore overseas, when return dates aren't set in stone you are initially on a one way flight and that can cause problems with UK border staff. Thanks again, I probably will end up heading back for a week but as much research and insight i can do especially with people like yourself who have made the perilous journey back to mother England! Also have you just done this the once?

Matt

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No not at all, All I had was my return ticket back to Canada. The UK was not interested or didn't ask at all if I was going to come back.

wopper

Dec 14, 2015
Hi OP - my wife has an OWP as well from the pilot program, but her says that the OWP does not authorize re-entry. Does yours have the same wording at the bottom? and you were allowed re-entry?
She has a valid visitor visa and OWP and her PR is in process

Rena1991

Jan 19, 2016
Hi all, i have the same question because me and my husband are planning for a vacation to Mexico but im worried maybe i cannot go back to Canada. My Open Work Permit just arrived and based on what i read here as long as you have your Work permit your not going to be worried about entering Canada after your vacation but below of my work permit there is a note that this is not autorize for re-entry!!! I already did apply for my Permanent Residence as well. Hopefully someone can gave me an advice or answer my question what to do or what kind of document need to prepare for re-entry. My husband is so excited for this vacation because this is our late honeymon in the case that i cannot leave Canada without my open work permit before.Thank you!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In response to the previous two posts:

Having an OWP does not authorize re-entry. If for whatever reason you are denied re-entry, the Inland application is in jeopardy. Unless you try again (ASAP) and are successful, the application will be cancelled.

Now...this does not mean that having an OWP will automatically increase the chances of being denied at the border, but since these OWPs are based on having an Inland application, the CBSA officer `may' want to ask you things like:

Do you still have ties back to your `home' (job, home, bank account, etc.)?
Most Inland applicants probably do NOT have these ties, because they are, in essence living in Canada. THIS is where you could have a problem.

The border officer needs to be satisfied that if the PR application is denied, the applicant will leave Canada voluntarily. If they are not convinced, s/he could deny you re-entry...which would be devastating. For this reason alone, a lot of people just remain in Canada until they have their PR...because it's just not worth the risk.

Some have had no problem, while others have had a big problem. There's just no way of knowing for sure until/unless you're willing to roll the dice.

Hockeymama

Dec 1, 2015
Can I go on vacation while my application for permanent residence is being processed?

Starting November 30, 2014, caregivers will have access to two new pathways to permanent residence. Read more about the improvements to the Caregiver Program.
Taking a vacation outside of Canada should not affect your application for permanent residence. However, if you leave Canada while your application is being processed, you may not be allowed to come back into Canada. Each time you come back, you must meet all the rules for entering the country.

If you leave Canada and want to return, you must have:

a valid passport or other travel documents;
a valid work permit, if you are returning to work in Canada; and
a valid temporary resident visa, if you are a citizen of a country for which Canada requires one.

ALSO THIS:

•If you have a single-entry visa this allows you to enter Canada once. If you leave Canada during your authorized stay, you must get a new visitor visa to re-enter Canada, unless you visit the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon. If you visit those places, you can return to Canada without a new visa, as long as you: ◦return within the period that the Canadian immigration officer initially authorized when you first entered Canada (on your visa, it is either a handwritten date or 6 months from the date of the entry stamp); or
◦have a valid visitor record, work permit, study permit or temporary resident permit (authorizing re-entry), and return within the period that the officer initially authorized

Found this under the CIC Help Desk answers