May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
AIP: May 25, 2015
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
cbd said:
I have a really simple question that I haven't found answered anywhere.

I'm engaged to my girlfriend and want to visit to marry her, then apply for PR Inland after we're married.

What am I supposed to tell the customs/border person when I arrive?
What do you suggest I have with me at that time to show them?
Just keep in mind that you can't say that you are planning to come permanently. You need to make sure to convince them that you are willing to leave after a short time. You can say that you are visiting your girlfriend, but it would be good if you had a return ticket, some ongoing studies, or anything that suggest that you will go back to your home country. If the officer suspects that you want to stay permanently he/she can deny your entry.
I know it's very awkward, since at the same time you should be honest with the officer, but you would really put yourself at risk if you would say that you are planning to stay.

May I ask what is your country of origin?

shesosilly

Jan 14, 2015
cbd said:
I have a really simple question that I haven't found answered anywhere.

I'm engaged to my girlfriend and want to visit to marry her, then apply for PR Inland after we're married.

What am I supposed to tell the customs/border person when I arrive?
What do you suggest I have with me at that time to show them?
I agree with sophieee in this one. I did the same thing :)

cbd

Jan 21, 2015
sophieee said:
Just keep in mind that you can't say that you are planning to come permanently. You need to make sure to convince them that you are willing to leave after a short time. You can say that you are visiting your girlfriend, but it would be good if you had a return ticket, some ongoing studies, or anything that suggest that you will go back to your home country. If the officer suspects that you want to stay permanently he/she can deny your entry.
I know it's very awkward, since at the same time you should be honest with the officer, but you would really put yourself at risk if you would say that you are planning to stay.

May I ask what is your country of origin?
I'm from the US. Why is that a no-no? If it's legal to come to the country, marry someone in Canada, then apply for inland PR, why is it not a good idea to tell the truth?

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
cbd said:
I'm from the US. Why is that a no-no? If it's legal to come to the country, marry someone in Canada, then apply for inland PR, why is it not a good idea to tell the truth?
When you marry a Canadian and planning to live in this country there is always the question if you are doing this because you want to be together with that person or because you want to come to Canada. In your PR app there is plenty time and opportunity to prove that you came here because of your partner, you can provide many things to prove that. At the border if you tell the officer that you are coming here to marry your girlfriend and then apply for PR, you have 5 minutes to convince the officer that you are not doing this just to get in Canada, and that if by any reason your plans fail you will leave the country and won't stay here illegally. Some of the officers can be totally understanding, some of them can be suspicious, but if for any reason you get denied there is no right to appeal.

An other thought:
If you apply inland, you should get a work permit in 4 months, although no one knows how will this new pilot work for new applicants, it can be longer. But even after you got your work permit, it can take 20 more months to became a PR, and during that time you are advised to not leave the country.
If you apply outland, you can still stay in Canada during the whole process, you can apply for visitor extension, there is no reason why shouldn't get one after your sent your papers, and you can became a full PR in 3-8 months.
If I were you I would definitely choose the outland process, for a US applicant just doesn't make sense to apply inland, outland is so much faster.
Check out this thread for more info:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/us-outland-applicants-thread-t106068.3735.html

RDN

Jan 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
13-04-2015
File Transfer...
23-06-2015
Med's Request
22-03-2016
Med's Done....
22-06-2016
Interview........
15-03-2016
Hi all,
Does anyone know if it's possible to reside in Quebec but apply with intention to work in Ontario (without applying for Certificat de sélection du Québec)? My bf is from Quebec but we want to live/work in Toronto since my french isn't good yet... But we will stay in Quebec in the beginning when we do our application...

Vaza3D

May 23, 2014
sophieee said:
Since the police certificate is needed only at the second stage you can send your application without it and wait till you get your AOR with your UCI and file number. This way you can ask the embassy to put this information in the cover letter, if they send one to CIC.
You can try and ask your question in this thread as well:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t98798.0.html
Thanks for the useful advice as always! :) Maybe I should also attach a small letter with my PR application explaining it to CIC, just for more clarity?

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
Vaza3D said:
Thanks for the useful advice as always! :) Maybe I should also attach a small letter with my PR application explaining it to CIC, just for more clarity?
I think that's not necessary, since it's really not needed at this stage.
But if you are sending your application in January and you can't attach the Option C of 2014, than you can send an explanation letter about that, stating that you will send it later as soon as you get it.

vinotintazo

Star Member
Jul 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 9, 2015
Doc's Request.
May 2, 2015 (Forms with Typos)
AOR Received.
Mar 29, 2015 OWP: April 27, 2015
Med's Done....
Nov 9, 2014 (Upfront)
Interview........
SA: April 12, 2016 AIP: April 12, 2016 DM: April 12, 2016 Interview: Waived
LANDED..........
May 3, 2016
Hi Guys, I have a question about the OWP along with the Inland PR Application.

For PR application it states that any document not in English needs to be translated and sumbitted as Original Certified of the Document and Translation.

I have a doubt about the Marriage Certificate.

We have 1 Translated Copy. Certified Original Document with Translation. This Copy will go for the inland PR Application

For the OWP in the Doc-Checklist it requires a Photocopy of Marriage Certificate if Applicable. In our case is applicable because we are married.

EDIT: from the Doc-Checklist of IMM5556E - All documents in a language other than English or French must be translated. Provide both a photocopy of the document and the translation in English or French.

Anyone have experience with this? do you sumbit two Original Translated Copies?
Or do you submit One Original Translated Copy (PR) and One Photocopy of the one sent for the PR Application?

Thanks! :)

Vaza3D

May 23, 2014
Waiting for the last documents for my application. We are wailing for Option C and birth certificate for sponsor.
I still have the medicals to perform, an I have a question about that:

If the medical examination is only valid for a year, and first stage approval takes 17 months currently, is there even any sense in doing them up front? I'm pretty sure they will ask me to preform them again, so might as well save the $270.

Am I correct guys?

Vaza3D

May 23, 2014
mysteriousk said:
It's fine as long as CIC receive your application before your medicals expire...
I apologize, mysteriousk, but your answer does not make much sense to me...

Could you explain?

Aren't CIC start looking at my medical files only AFTER the first stage of sponsor approval is done? By that time, the medicals will be expired, even though they were ok when CIC gets the application...

I have read of cases, also on this forum, when people were asked to do medicals again since theirs were expired.

mysteriousk

Feb 1, 2015
Vaza3D said:
I apologize, mysteriousk, but your answer does not make much sense to me...

Could you explain?

Aren't CIC start looking at my medical files only AFTER the first stage of sponsor approval is done? By that time, the medicals will be expired, even though they were ok when CIC gets the application...

I have read of cases, also on this forum, when people were asked to do medicals again since theirs were expired.
That may be the case, but for the cases i'm familiar with I haven't heard of CIC requesting additional medicals as long as they were not expired when they received them (i.e. the day your application gets to CIC and someone stamps a date on it). I'm only saying that based on the cases I know of though...

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
mysteriousk said:
That may be the case, but for the cases i'm familiar with I haven't heard of CIC requesting additional medicals as long as they were not expired when they received them (i.e. the day your application gets to CIC and someone stamps a date on it). I'm only saying that based on the cases I know of though...
CIC officer can decide to extend the validity of your medical and not request a new one, but otherwise the medical is valid for one year, and if it's expired by the time they start to process the second stage (it can be well after the first stage approval) they can request a new one. There are some horror stories when the processing of the file takes for years (usually because of a non-accompanying dependent) and the applicant is requested to do medicals for two or three times during the process. But again, these are very rare cases.

MC2015

Feb 2, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 29,2015
AOR Received.
April 24,2015
File Transfer...
SA April 21, 2016 / AIP April 21, 2016 / DM April 21, 2016
Med's Done....
Feb 16,2015
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
June 8, 2016
vinotintazo said:
Hi Guys, I have a question about the OWP along with the Inland PR Application.

For PR application it states that any document not in English needs to be translated and sumbitted as Original Certified of the Document and Translation.

I have a doubt about the Marriage Certificate.

We have 1 Translated Copy. Certified Original Document with Translation. This Copy will go for the inland PR Application

For the OWP in the Doc-Checklist it requires a Photocopy of Marriage Certificate if Applicable. In our case is applicable because we are married.

EDIT: from the Doc-Checklist of IMM5556E - All documents in a language other than English or French must be translated. Provide both a photocopy of the document and the translation in English or French.

Anyone have experience with this? do you sumbit two Original Translated Copies?
Or do you submit One Original Translated Copy (PR) and One Photocopy of the one sent for the PR Application?

Thanks! :)
Vinotintazo, I had the same issue with my birth certificate. I sent a certified copy of the translation. I went to a notary and asked them to certify the copy. Once the copy is certified by a notary, it has the same value than the original. I also certified the copy of my birth certificate because of this part of the Guide 5289:

Translation of documents

Any document that is not in English or French must be accompanied by:

the English or French translation; and
an affidavit from the person who completed the translation; and
a certified copy of the original document

If I were you, I would certify both: you marriage certificate and the translation. CIC says we don't need to certify the copies, but when it's about " translated documents" , they have a different criteria.

Good luck !

kringtonsy

Dec 4, 2014
just a question about ontario driver's license.

while waiting for my application can i apply for ontario driver's license?