+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

INLAND APPLICATIONS 2014

zemphir

Jun 28, 2014
sophieee said:
US outland applicants became PR in an average 8 months. For inlands, the first stage process is currently 11 months and increasing (that's when you can have work permit), plus a couple more months after that for becoming a PR.
You can be with your husband in Canada even if you have an outland application. You can cross the border as a regular tourist and after 6 months you can apply for visa extension.
Ah, okay.
So if we do the inland application and since it takes at least 11 months I can stay in Canada for as long as it takes them to process my application? (I also saw there was an "extend your stay application" for spouses and I guess that's the form you'd have to use if it takes them more than 11 months to process all the paperwork?)

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
AIP: May 25, 2015
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
zemphir said:
Ah, okay.
So if we do the inland application and since it takes at least 11 months I can stay in Canada for as long as it takes them to process my application? (I also saw there was an "extend your stay application" for spouses and I guess that's the form you'd have to use if it takes them more than 11 months to process all the paperwork?)
It's the same thing, you have to apply for visitor visa extension, no matter if you have an inland or an outland application. So, basically, there is no point for someone from the US to go with the inland app.

zemphir

Jun 28, 2014
sophieee said:
It's the same thing, no matter if you have an inland or an outland application. So, basically, there is no point for someone from the US to go with the inland app.
I'm so sorry to ask this again but when you say it's the same thing that means I can only stay 6 months even with inland application? And after 6 months I would have to leave Canada and come back to the US? I thought you could apply for extended stay because of the inland application. Am I not understanding this correctly?

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
zemphir said:
I'm so sorry to ask this again but when you say it's the same thing that means I can only stay 6 months even with inland application? And after 6 months I would have to leave Canada and come back to the US? I thought you could apply for extended stay because of the inland application. Am I not understanding this correctly?
You have to apply for extension even if you have an inland app, but it's very unlikely that it would be denied. People from the US get extension with inland and with outland app as well.
You should check out this thread:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/us-outland-applicants-thread-t106068.0.html

zemphir

Jun 28, 2014
sophieee said:
You have to apply for extension even if you have an inland app, but it's very unlikely that it would be denied. People from the US get extension with inland and with outland app as well.
I looked through the thread and also went to the official website to look for the extension form. Is this the application I should be using: Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Visitor [IMM 5708] ?

And as far as I understand it can be an option to apply for extension of stay at the same time as we submit our inland application? Is this correct?

Thank you so much for all your help and answers, by the way! I appreciate it tremendously!!:)

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
zemphir said:
I looked through the thread and also went to the official website to look for the extension form. Is this the application I should be using: Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Visitor [IMM 5708] ?

And as far as I understand it can be an option to apply for extension of stay at the same time as we submit our inland application? Is this correct?

Thank you so much for all your help and answers, by the way! I appreciate it tremendously!!:)
Yes, it is it!
I'm not sure about applying at the same time, since they should go to different addresses.
If you have enough time after sending your spousal app, maybe it's better to wait till you get AOR, so you can send it as proof that your spousal application was accepted by CIC. Currently the waiting time for AOR is about 4 months.

automaton82

Aug 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V // CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2013
AOR Received.
28-01-2014
Med's Done....
Sent with app
Interview........
AIP 30-04-2015 // DM 06-05-2015
LANDED..........
19-05-2015 // PR card 28-08-2015
I saw this in the 2013 thread:
http://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2014/06/29/foreign_spouses_trapped_in_canada_due_to_sponsorship_backlog.html

I'm assuming this is the article on inland sponsorship? There doesn't appear to be any comment by CIC, but the examples/story they provide is good at illustrating the issues. It would have been good if they had of linked the petition too though.

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
automaton82 said:
I saw this in the 2013 thread:
http://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2014/05/29/foreign_spouses_trapped_in_canada_due_to_sponsorship_backlog.html

I'm assuming this is the article on inland sponsorship? There doesn't appear to be any comment by CIC, but the examples/story they provide is good at illustrating the issues. It would have been good if they had of linked the petition too though.
It's the same reporter but the link shows that the article's date is May 29. Maybe there will be a reply.

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
Zemphir, can I ask you why are you hold on to the inland process?

automaton82

Aug 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V // CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2013
AOR Received.
28-01-2014
Med's Done....
Sent with app
Interview........
AIP 30-04-2015 // DM 06-05-2015
LANDED..........
19-05-2015 // PR card 28-08-2015
sophieee said:
It's the same reporter but the link shows that the article's date is May 29. Maybe there will be a reply.
Sorry, somehow the link I pasted was wrong?

Here is the correct one (and I updated my original post):
http://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2014/06/29/foreign_spouses_trapped_in_canada_due_to_sponsorship_backlog.html

The date is today.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
automaton82 said:
The article has a fair amount of misunderstanding within it unfortunately. I tried to post but the website just says there is a "temporary problem" and to retry. So far it still hasn't worked...

GatorSPO

Aug 29, 2013
computergeek said:
The article has a fair amount of misunderstanding within it unfortunately. I tried to post but the website just says there is a "temporary problem" and to retry. So far it still hasn't worked...
As one of the featured couples in that story I can say some context was stripped from statements that very much changed the meaning from what was said during the interview, from our perspective at least.

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Inland sponsorship program to be eliminated. Wow! Big news

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
GatorSPO said:
As one of the featured couples in that story I can say some context was stripped from statements that very much changed the meaning from what was said during the interview, from our perspective at least.
I can only imagine.

My comment, if I can ever get it to post:

The CIC website continues to mislead people into thinking that if their spouse or partner is in Canada they must use the inland sponsorship route, which is not true. All applicants may request their application be processed through the foreign visa office. They must be in Canada legally and maintain legal status to use the Outland process however. But the Inland process can be used by spouse/partner applicants who are out of status (this is part of the public policy).

As for "marriage of convenience" it seems the poster's philosophy is that better 16 people suffer than 1 guilty slip through (CIC reports a 6% rejection rate for inland applicants and if you assume that 100% of those were MOCs, you'd be punishing almost 17 couples for the one that is cheating). Yet I know cases where the sponsor and applicant moved after refusal. And Inland applicants have no option of appeal to the IAD - their only option is to request review by a Federal Court, which is entirely discretionary.

But even the CIC spokesperson doesn't seem that knowledgeable. Health care coverage depends upon the province. Ontario and Quebec will not cover inland applicants until they have stage 1 approval. BC, AB, and NS at least will cover them as dependents (of the sponsor) - but CIC is even making this more difficult because some provinces (like BC) want something in writing from CIC saying the application is "in process". CIC used to send an initial letter within a month. Now it's three months. And sometimes even that's not enough for provincial health authorities.
The second paragraph was responding to a comment someone else had posted about "marriages of convenience". It really pissed me off that in that person's world it is OK to subject 17 legitimate couples on the off chance of finding one illegitimate one. Especially since I've seen legitimate couples refused due to relationship issues - but it's almost impossible for anyone to really challenge CIC and thus the agents don't seem to have tremendous accountability.

angelpot11

May 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - MISSISSAGUA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29/08/14
AOR Received.
08/09/14
File Transfer...
AIP : 02/24/2016
Med's Request
02/24/2016
Med's Done....
02/26/2016
Hi Guys,

Just needed your advice I'm pregnant and I am already in Maternity leave just started last week, but in July I will sponsor my spouse, We are almost ready to submit our application together with his OWP application do you think my sponsorship will have negative effect to immigration because of my status now? He works and his permit expires on March 2015.

Pls seniors and those with same experience advise pls we really appreciate all your inputs. Thanks and Good luck to all applications.

angelpot