Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
matty-von-doom said:
Hello Everyone!

I recently received my open work permit (as part of the pilot) after waiting for over a year since residence. Problem is, my common law partner and I are starting to question our relationship and I may have to back out of my residence application if we don't fix things. Would this void my work permit? It is valid until January 2017 and says nothing on it about guidelines or stipulations for keeping it. I've been told before that once CIC issues a permit they don't tend to look into revoking it, I just want to make sure so I know how to plan for my future. Thanks
As Ponga has mentioned, I think the OWP under the pilot program is linked to PR sponsorship thus, the moment the PR sponsorship is official withdrawn, after the spouse reports the breakdown to CIC and withdraw the application, the OWP will be void. Any visas that you had before getting OWP will also be voided as well since OWP overrides any previous visa status granted (you can't hold two difference visa status same time). You would basically be "out of status" and have to leave Canada immediately. You can then re-enter Canada if you currently have a valid TRV or from visa exempt country to gain a new status as visitor status, or apply for a restoration of status within 90 days of being "out of status"

Jan 14, 2015
screech339 said:
As Ponga has mentioned, I think the OWP under the pilot program is linked to PR sponsorship thus, the moment the PR sponsorship is official withdrawn, after the spouse reports the breakdown to CIC and withdraw the application, the OWP will be void. Any visas that you had before getting OWP will also be voided as well since OWP overrides any previous visa status granted (you can't hold two difference visa status same time). You would basically be "out of status" and have to leave Canada immediately. You can then re-enter Canada if you currently have a valid TRV or from visa exempt country to gain a new status as visitor status.
Thanks for the replies. Is there any evidence to backup why you think this or is it just a hunch? I was once told by an immigration lawyer (for a totally separate issue) that once you get a permit CIC doesn't tend to look into it or take it unless you specifically bring it up to them. I also find it odd that it is dated to 2017 when the process shouldn't take another 2 years. I am not sure if we will split, I am just trying to cover my bases in case it does happen in the future. But if I get a SIN, start working, and withdraw my application, I want to know if there's 100% certaintly that CIC will remember issuing my permit, find me for it, and take it from me even if everything on the document is legal and to date and approved. As I said I have searched it top to bottom word for word and can't find anything that says "conditional" or "pending" or gives terms on it's validity. But, what do i know? lol. Guess i'm just having a paranoid moment and hoping that I still have it as a backup option in case things go wrong.

SS.Kingston

Star Member
Jan 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-03-2013
AOR Received.
20-03-2013
Med's Request
13-01-2014 (AIP)
Med's Done....
20-01-2014
Interview........
17-10-2014 (Decision Made)
Just got my landing interview date - January 27th at Ottawa.

It is finally coming to an end.

3september2013

Star Member
Aug 8, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V to CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-09-2013 re-applied April 17, 2015
AOR Received.
23-09-2013
Med's Done....
May 2014
Does anybody has an email address or phone number of the Edmonton immigration office? Really need to talk to someone since my OWP is lost in the mail. Thanks

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
matty-von-doom said:
Thanks for the replies. Is there any evidence to backup why you think this or is it just a hunch? I was once told by an immigration lawyer (for a totally separate issue) that once you get a permit CIC doesn't tend to look into it or take it unless you specifically bring it up to them. I also find it odd that it is dated to 2017 when the process shouldn't take another 2 years. I am not sure if we will split, I am just trying to cover my bases in case it does happen in the future. But if I get a SIN, start working, and withdraw my application, I want to know if there's 100% certaintly that CIC will remember issuing my permit, find me for it, and take it from me even if everything on the document is legal and to date and approved. As I said I have searched it top to bottom word for word and can't find anything that says "conditional" or "pending" or gives terms on it's validity. But, what do i know? lol. Guess i'm just having a paranoid moment and hoping that I still have it as a backup option in case things go wrong.
That's very strange because everyone else that has received their OWP, as part of the pilot program, has stated that their OWP does have something about FC on it...somewhere.

Maybe, you received the `official' OWP, assuming you submitted the OWP application with your Inland sponsorship application originally?

Either way...if you have an OWP that was the result of your PR application...and that application is cancelled, you really shouldn't remain in Canada working, but...that's just my personal opinion.

I will say that CIC has changed the rules for those in Canada with a study permit (June 2014) and are now tracking those that are no longer studying, basically cancelling their status. I still think that if your PR application is cancelled, CIC will be able to connect the dots...that you would be working illegally.

Blackdisc

Star Member
Sep 24, 2013
Itswell said:
Hello Friends,
I received my DM this afternoon.
Application received 28th August 2013
AIP 30th December 2014
DM 14th January 2015

I am speechless Friends and this journey is now OVER!!!
Congrats ItsWell. It must be a record, that is so quick for your DM.
Did you pay Right to Residence Payment fee after you got AIP? We are waiting for the DM as well.

BlackDisc

jmarie88

Oct 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V to CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-10-2013
AOR Received.
21-11-2013
Med's Request
Sent with application
Med's Done....
08-2013
Interview........
21-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
One day..
YAY!! Got my Open Work Permit in the mail today!!! WOOHOO!!

Now just waiting for AIP / DM ;D (October 22, 2013 applicant)

Also, according to the spreadsheet below, an August 30, 2013 applicant received DM today.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZnRF29FWdqOGQV8dW4bImBuIwjCfoy2R8ZycyX4jH0c/edit?pli=1#gid=0

Move on to Sept. applicants now CIC! :D

Itswell

Dec 18, 2014
Blackdisc said:
Congrats ItsWell. It must be a record, that is so quick for your DM.
Did you pay Right to Residence Payment fee after you got AIP? We are waiting for the DM as well.

BlackDisc
Thank you Blackdisc, honestly I was expecting my OWP which was approved 2nd January but this DM came as a surprise. It's indeed a record to receive it two weeks after AIP considering the delays, but I have been praying for the Officer in charge of our application. I paid for everything the time I submitted the application.
Yours will come, and you will receive a surprise soon. Not only you but everyone else waiting.

linxord

Apr 10, 2013
Ponga said:
That's very strange because everyone else that has received their OWP, as part of the pilot program, has stated that their OWP does have something about FC on it...somewhere.

Maybe, you received the `official' OWP, assuming you submitted the OWP application with your Inland sponsorship application originally?

Either way...if you have an OWP that was the result of your PR application...and that application is cancelled, you really shouldn't remain in Canada working, but...that's just my personal opinion.

I will say that CIC has changed the rules for those in Canada with a study permit (June 2014) and are now tracking those that are no longer studying, basically cancelling their status. I still think that if your PR application is cancelled, CIC will be able to connect the dots...that you would be working illegally.
I agree with Ponga. You really don't want to misrepresent your status. It will always come back and bite you.

28january

Star Member
Oct 1, 2014
matty-von-doom said:
I don't know if you would call this a rock solid evidence, but someone I know did go to a lawyer specifically for this reason, and have been told the same. Her OWP was via AIP, not pilot program by the way. Because you got this OWP as part of the inland spouse sponsorship, the OWP is in fact tied to that application (which makes sense because if it weren't for your relationship you wouldn't be given this OWP). So according to this lawyer, by withdrawing the inland application, you technically lose everything that goes with it. But then again, unless someone reports it, they probably won't do anything about it. But would you be guilty of misrepresenting? Probably.

And you bet that they will know where your OWP is from should you decide to extend your status or apply for PR via other methods.

flange12

Star Member
Sep 26, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-08-2013
AOR Received.
27-08-2013
Med's Done....
15-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 13-01-2015
LANDED..........
11-03-2015
sophieb said:
I just received my landing interview email. Meeting on Jan. 21 in Vancouver.
Congrats! You're almost done :)

RRSweet

Star Member
Aug 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-07-2013
AOR Received.
22-08-2013
Med's Request
sent with app
Med's Done....
10-07-2013
Interview........
AIP: August 8, 2014 OWP Received August 15, 2014 Decision Made: Jan. 26, 2015
LANDED..........
12-02-2015
elizaanon said:
I received DM email this morning!

Application received: Aug 16, 2013 (medical, criminal records, OWP, fees paid in full including RPR fee)
SA & AIP: Nov 14, 2014
OWP: Received in mail Dec 1, 2014
DM: Jan 14, 2015
Landing interview: Vancouver, TBD

Sorry to hear that some people who submitted prior to my date haven't received DM. That must be frustrating. Two people ahead of me had received DM and it was freaking me out. Fingers crossed for you.

Congratulations! I can only imagine the feeling. I cannot wait to hear something soon I hope!

Congrats to Itswell too !

that's 2 DM's today... keep em comin CIC

3september2013

Star Member
Aug 8, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V to CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-09-2013 re-applied April 17, 2015
AOR Received.
23-09-2013
Med's Done....
May 2014
Lots of good news here! Congrats to everyone!