+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

INLAND APPLICATIONS 2013

fy2013

Oct 14, 2014
@ponga and concerning extending the OWP and implied status. in terms of implied status it is very clear from CIC website that once you apply to extend your status you get implied status which would automatically allow you to keep working. there is nothing that states that you can't keep working, one way to confirm that is if someone has PGWP and then apply to get sponsored under canadian experience program, it is clear that they will get to continue working while their application is being processed.

from CIC website:
I have applied for a new work permit. Can I stay in Canada if my work permit expires?

Yes. You can stay in Canada, and may be able to keep working, under what's called implied status. That means the law implies you are a temporary resident. The implied status lasts until Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) decides on your new permit application. However, you must respect the following requirements:

If you applied for another work permit

You must stay in Canada and meet the conditions of your original work permit. If you applied for a work permit extension before your work permit expired, you can keep working under the same conditions as your existing permit until CIC decides on your application unless you have applied to extend your stay under another category.

If you applied for a different kind of permit

You cannot do any of the activities allowed by the original work permit. For example, you may have come to Canada as a worker and then applied for a study permit. If so, you must stop working once your work permit expires. After that, you cannot work or study until you get a new permit.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fy2013 said:
@ ponga and concerning extending the OWP and implied status. in terms of implied status it is very clear from CIC website that once you apply to extend your status you get implied status which would automatically allow you to keep working. there is nothing that states that you can't keep working, one way to confirm that is if someone has PGWP and then apply to get sponsored under canadian experience program, it is clear that they will get to continue working while their application is being processed.

from CIC website:
I have applied for a new work permit. Can I stay in Canada if my work permit expires?

Yes. You can stay in Canada, and may be able to keep working, under what's called implied status. That means the law implies you are a temporary resident. The implied status lasts until Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) decides on your new permit application. However, you must respect the following requirements:

If you applied for another work permit

You must stay in Canada and meet the conditions of your original work permit. If you applied for a work permit extension before your work permit expired, you can keep working under the same conditions as your existing permit until CIC decides on your application unless you have applied to extend your stay under another category.

If you applied for a different kind of permit

You cannot do any of the activities allowed by the original work permit. For example, you may have come to Canada as a worker and then applied for a study permit. If so, you must stop working once your work permit expires. After that, you cannot work or study until you get a new permit.
If everyone was able to continue to work, why would CIC say you may be able to keep working?

The problem is that CIC has never shown an example of a PGWP/IEC/CEC holder who then applies for Inland sponsorship and includes an OWP, as being allowed. It's also worth mentioning that the OWP and implied status seems to be different for FC applicants, so while it may be possible to continue to work under other immigration programs, spousal sponsorship seems to be different.

Just search THIS forum and read the many discussions about this very issue.

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Audjgal said:
I called right at 8 am and got through after one minute of waiting. I have to say that the call center agents are pretty lazy though mine was polite. You'd figure its Monday and I'm one of your first callers this morning, you would MAYBE be motivated to work. I asked about my owp which was sent with my application in Sept 2013,whether its been printed and mailed. She told me they would not be processed for 4 months yet. I told her again i had sent mine in in Sept 2013 and applicants from 2014 had already received theirs, No answer. I asked if she could check bc Chris Day had asked all inlanders to call in and check the status. She somehow misheard 'chris day' and thought I said David something and asked me who this person who told me that was, was he an immigration lawyer or consultant. I said no, YOUR BOSS Chris Day. Well. That's the magic words you need to say apparently. She put me on hold to check and told me my OWP was issued and mailed on the 6th and would take about 2 weeks via Canada post. Will check the mailbox today, as I have everyday since the 1st!!!

ALSO , quick question for those that have applied for OHIP with your OWP. Is your OHIP valid immediately or is there a 3 month waiting period? I'm pregnant and my last two ultrasounds were $225 each!!!
It is so funny that Inlands now have to say the magic word Chris Day to put cic call center agents to work for them. Chris Day, boss of cic staff, is the most repeated name at CIC Call Center the past couple weeks lol.
Congrats

Tilikun

Jan 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Veg--CPC-Miss
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2013
AOR Received.
05-09-2013
Med's Done....
13-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
SA and AIP 27-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM 08-01-2015 Landing letter email 12-01-2015
LANDED..........
(On 2nd attempt) 23-01-2015/PRCard received on 09-03-2015
And landing date just arrived by email ! From CIC Edmonton is rolling too ,
Congratulations to all the others that just received DM , OWP ,
AIP rain will start very soon guys , don't give up ! Jan 20th will be my day :D

nismopinoy

Oct 16, 2013
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-01-2014
AOR Received.
30-01-2014
Med's Done....
19-09-2014
August 2013 applicant got DM facebook group. Still waiting for OWP though

Sept 11 2013

Star Member
Nov 25, 2013
Hello,
Inlanders, Just received my DM no Aip. They will contact me for landing appointment. Still waiting for OWP thogh. Mailed out last Jan 6th. So happy Good Luck to everyone!!! August 21, 2013 AOR

Ask and you shall receive! Thank you lord

bankerguy

Jun 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/09/2013
Doc's Request.
sent with app - app received Sept 18, 2013
AOR Received.
04/10/13
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
V --> M OWP received Jan 9th (pilot program)
Med's Request
AIP Feb 25/2015 & DM FEB 27/2015
Med's Done....
Sent with app
Interview........
March 18, 2015
Ponga said:
I respectfully disagree. The fact that an OWP was issued, was ONLY because of the pilot program, so it IS possible that CIC didn't make the connection between: Expired PGWP>Person continued to work>OWP issued, but if the OP is ever asked (at landing) if s/he continued to work after the PGWP expired, they would have to say yes, or face possible misrepresentation charges at the landing interview...right?

IMHO, the only thing that will finally end this debate, will be when someone reports [here] that they landed successfully after informing CIC that they had continued to work with expired PGWP while under implied status. Then...I would agree.
I agree..i think that the OWP being issued under the pilot has NO bearing on this discussion... but im saying that if CIC agents said that its okay to keep working then they would have the same opinion as the person at the landing interview.

I agree with you... once someone reports that they landed and they worked during their expired PGWP under implied status, then this will be put to rest :)

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bankerguy said:
I agree..i think that the OWP being issued under the pilot has NO bearing on this discussion... but im saying that if CIC agents said that its okay to keep working then they would have the same opinion as the person at the landing interview.

I agree with you... once someone reports that they landed and they worked during their expired PGWP under implied status, then this will be put to rest :)
In theory, that makes perfect sense. In reality, we all know how many times people have gotten wrong information from the CIC Call Centre staff!

And just to clarify...the person would have had to have informed the officer at the landing interview (or otherwise alert them previously) that they had worked after their PGWP expired. Simply choosing to continue working isn't the real issue, right? It's how it would have impacted their positive decision on their PR application if CIC/CBSA were aware of them doing so.

gfdvca

Star Member
Sep 5, 2014
I seriously wonder if this is the end of AIP as we know it. It would appear that the dates for AIP and DM have practically converged, and far as I can tell, AIP doesn't offer the applicant anything additional to an OWP. In Alberta, OWP can get you health care and a driver's license, and a job (...duh).

It would also stand to reason why the call centre agents are placing more emphasis on the TOTAL Stage 1 plus Stage 2 time when people call in after their Stage 1 time has passed. Essentially, all of the privileges that came with AIP are now conferred to you at AOR without any checks except for completeness of the application.

Personally, I think that the August 29 date that they just published on the website is BS, just to show SOME movement. I hope DM is coming soon to September applicants...

bankerguy

Jun 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/09/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
04/10/13
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Sent with app
Interview........
March 18, 2015
gfdvca said:
I seriously wonder if this is the end of AIP as we know it. It would appear that the dates for AIP and DM have practically converged, and far as I can tell, AIP doesn't offer the applicant anything additional to an OWP. In Alberta, OWP can get you health care and a driver's license, and a job (...duh).

It would also stand to reason why the call centre agents are placing more emphasis on the TOTAL Stage 1 plus Stage 2 time when people call in after their Stage 1 time has passed. Essentially, all of the privileges that came with AIP are now conferred to you at AOR without any checks except for completeness of the application.

Personally, I think that the August 29 date that they just published on the website is BS, just to show SOME movement. I hope DM is coming soon to September applicants...
I agree with this.

It will be interesting to see if we get more AIP/DM's at the same time in the next couple weeks

bankerguy

Jun 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/09/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
04/10/13
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Sent with app
Interview........
March 18, 2015
Ponga said:
In theory, that makes perfect sense. In reality, we all know how many times people have gotten wrong information from the CIC Call Centre staff!

And just to clarify...the person would have had to have informed the officer at the landing interview (or otherwise alert them previously) that they had worked after their PGWP expired. Simply choosing to continue working isn't the real issue, right? It's how it would have impacted their positive decision on their PR application if CIC/CBSA were aware of them doing so.
Question. with OWP, passport and Sin, can a PR applicant leave Canada (for example to go home for a few weeks for weddings, deaths in the family) etc?
For example, my situation, we have AOR but no AIP/DM, what are the chances that she wont be allowed back in the country? is it generally no problem? she's from a visa exempt country

linxord

Apr 10, 2013
Tilikun said:
And landing date just arrived by email ! From CIC Edmonton is rolling too ,
Congratulations to all the others that just received DM , OWP ,
AIP rain will start very soon guys , don't give up ! Jan 20th will be my day :D
Congrats Tilikun!! :) this is great news!

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
AIP: May 25, 2015
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to let you know that I have some visitors this week, so I won't update the spreadsheet as I'm used to, but no worries, I'm reading my PM's every day and I will catch up with the happenings on the next week and I will add everything. I hope I will find tremendous amount good news:)
Thanks,
Sophie

linxord

Apr 10, 2013
bankerguy said:
Question. with OWP, passport and Sin, can a PR applicant leave Canada (for example to go home for a few weeks for weddings, deaths in the family) etc?
For example, my situation, we have AOR but no AIP/DM, what are the chances that she wont be allowed back in the country? is it generally no problem? she's from a visa exempt country
If she's from visa exempt country then I would say that it should be ok. Although i'd extremely cautious and avoid leaving the country, because if for any given reason they stop her from entering back in the country, the inland application will be void. and remember that OWP or the PR application doesn't give her the right to re-enter.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
bankerguy said:
none of what she has will guarantee her re-entry, even the OWP. no one can tell you 100% for sure, it will all depend on the border officer she meets, and whether he believes her intentions for entering canada. this is why traveling as an inland applicant is tricky. while most people have no issue with re-entry, there is always that chance the border agent will deny a person, thus voiding the inland application. really, it's a "travel at your own risk" situation.