Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
05-01-2015
AOR Received.
App Received by CIC 18-09-2013
Med's Request
05-01-2015
bankerguy said:
Question. with OWP, passport and Sin, can a PR applicant leave Canada (for example to go home for a few weeks for weddings, deaths in the family) etc?
For example, my situation, we have AOR but no AIP/DM, what are the chances that she wont be allowed back in the country? is it generally no problem? she's from a visa exempt country
After we received our AOR, my husband and I have left the country several times for non-emergency reasons. You always risk not being allowed back in, but to date, we've been doing fine. We head down to the States every 3 months or so. We've flown to Mexico and Japan. He's from a visa exempt country as well.

linxord

Apr 10, 2013
rhcohen2014 said:
none of what she has will guarantee her re-entry, even the OWP. no one can tell you 100% for sure, it will all depend on the border officer she meets, and whether he believes her intentions for entering canada. this is why traveling as an inland applicant is tricky. while most people have no issue with re-entry, there is always that chance the border agent will deny a person, thus voiding the inland application. really, it's a "travel at your own risk" situation.
what he said^^
and I cannot remember who but someone here had a similar scenario where they ran into problems on re-entry and had their application void.

be careful guys!

bankerguy

Jun 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/09/2013
Doc's Request.
sent with app - app received Sept 18, 2013
AOR Received.
04/10/13
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
V --> M OWP received Jan 9th (pilot program)
Med's Request
AIP Feb 25/2015 & DM FEB 27/2015
Med's Done....
Sent with app
Interview........
March 18, 2015
Thanks guys

We're sept 18th applicants..sooo maybe we'll have DM by March? haha maybe not

JohnnyP

Jun 20, 2013
Toronto-->Victoria
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville--> Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2013
AOR Received.
10-09-2013
Med's Request
10-01-2015
Med's Done....
03-02-2015
Interview........
16-04-2015
Sept 11 2013 said:
Hello,
Inlanders, Just received my DM no Aip. They will contact me for landing appointment. Still waiting for OWP thogh. Mailed out last Jan 6th. So happy Good Luck to everyone!!! August 21, 2013 AOR

Ask and you shall receive! Thank you lord
Really??? Congrats!!!! So happy for you!!!!! If you get PR (after landing interview), you don't really need OWP, no?

gfdvca

Star Member
Sep 5, 2014
bankerguy said:
Question. with OWP, passport and Sin, can a PR applicant leave Canada (for example to go home for a few weeks for weddings, deaths in the family) etc?
For example, my situation, we have AOR but no AIP/DM, what are the chances that she wont be allowed back in the country? is it generally no problem? she's from a visa exempt country
I'm going to write up a post for this in great gory detail once we're landed and this is behind us, but my spouse is from a non-visa exempt country with a multiple entry visa, we have left the country many times (for no period longer than 2.5 weeks) and the only time we have had an experience in secondary was when we declared dual intent on the first entry before getting married. I traveled on business several times last year and had the privilege to take my spouse with me on the company account.

We have always crossed the border together, and I believe that has been a big help getting back in. We have probably pushed our luck as far as anyone would want to, but I would highly recommend that you travel together, and you carry all the documents you can think of that would help to show the officer that the application is in process and you are legally married. I carry our marriage certificate (we were married in Canada), a copy of our PR application, our AOR letter, receipts for payment to Vegreville, a retainer letter from our lawyer, and now we will be taking the OWP and SIN number with us. I have been asked once to show proof that the application is in process and our AOR letter did the trick (more below).

When re-entering, the situation with the customs/immigration form can be confusing. I have tried 2 different approaches detailed below.

The first is to put both of our names on the same card with the same address, and to fill in both the resident (How many days have you been outside of Canada?) and visitor (How many days do you intend to stay in Canada?... we put 180) questions at the bottom of the form.

The second was to put both of us down as residents (after seeing that they normally check off the "R" at the top of the form after filling it out using the previous method). This was not a good move which invited additional questioning and a stern reminder that my spouse is not yet a permanent resident of Canada. We were asked to show proof that the application was in process and after showing the AOR letter we were let through.

The first approach worked fine multiple times, the only question that came up repeatedly was "where are you working?" to which my spouse replied, "I'm not working, I'm not allowed to". One time, when trying the first approach, one of the officers told us that my spouse does not yet have PR, and therefore cannot reside in Canada and thus cannot use the same address as me (even though this is one of the requirements of the Inland class, but I wisely chose not to pick a fight here). We had to fill out 2 new declaration cards, mine using our current address and my spouse's using an old address in South America (even though that apartment is long gone) and we were let through.

I think that as long as you travel together, and your spouse understands that in the eyes of the law he or she is a visitor to Canada until receiving PR, travel abroad for short periods of time is not excessively risky. However, it's never a sure thing so please do exercise caution.

I hope this is helpful.

_GFDVCA

JohnnyP

Jun 20, 2013
Toronto-->Victoria
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville--> Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2013
AOR Received.
10-09-2013
Med's Request
10-01-2015
Med's Done....
03-02-2015
Interview........
16-04-2015
sophieee said:
Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to let you know that I have some visitors this week, so I won't update the spreadsheet as I'm used to, but no worries, I'm reading my PM's every day and I will catch up with the happenings on the next week and I will add everything. I hope I will find tremendous amount good news:)
Thanks,
Sophie
Hi Sophieee. Thanks for updating my info and all the hard work. Have a great time away from the spreadsheet!!

flange12

Star Member
Sep 26, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-08-2013
AOR Received.
27-08-2013
Med's Done....
15-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 13-01-2015
LANDED..........
11-03-2015
gfdvca said:
I seriously wonder if this is the end of AIP as we know it. It would appear that the dates for AIP and DM have practically converged, and far as I can tell, AIP doesn't offer the applicant anything additional to an OWP. In Alberta, OWP can get you health care and a driver's license, and a job (...duh).

It would also stand to reason why the call centre agents are placing more emphasis on the TOTAL Stage 1 plus Stage 2 time when people call in after their Stage 1 time has passed. Essentially, all of the privileges that came with AIP are now conferred to you at AOR without any checks except for completeness of the application.

Personally, I think that the August 29 date that they just published on the website is BS, just to show SOME movement. I hope DM is coming soon to September applicants...

I think they are going to stop issuing AIP for now too. They are working their way through the applications that only have DM to process, and then when they are done with that they will probably start assigning AIP and DM together just like they used to. Except for those who don't do medicals or police reports up front. So hopefully June July and August apps will all get DM soon and then September folks will start getting AIP and DM all together!

linxord

Apr 10, 2013
gfdvca said:
I'm going to write up a post for this in great gory detail once we're landed and this is behind us, but my spouse is from a non-visa exempt country with a multiple entry visa, we have left the country many times (for no period longer than 2.5 weeks) and the only time we have had an experience in secondary was when we declared dual intent on the first entry before getting married. I traveled on business several times last year and had the privilege to take my spouse with me on the company account.

We have always crossed the border together, and I believe that has been a big help getting back in. We have probably pushed our luck as far as anyone would want to, but I would highly recommend that you travel together, and you carry all the documents you can think of that would help to show the officer that the application is in process and you are legally married. I carry our marriage certificate (we were married in Canada), a copy of our PR application, our AOR letter, receipts for payment to Vegreville, a retainer letter from our lawyer, and now we will be taking the OWP and SIN number with us. I have been asked once to show proof that the application is in process and our AOR letter did the trick (more below).

When re-entering, the situation with the customs/immigration form can be confusing. I have tried 2 different approaches detailed below.

The first is to put both of our names on the same card with the same address, and to fill in both the resident (How many days have you been outside of Canada?) and visitor (How many days do you intend to stay in Canada?... we put 180) questions at the bottom of the form.

The second was to put both of us down as residents (after seeing that they normally check off the "R" at the top of the form after filling it out using the previous method). This was not a good move which invited additional questioning and a stern reminder that my spouse is not yet a permanent resident of Canada. We were asked to show proof that the application was in process and after showing the AOR letter we were let through.

The first approach worked fine multiple times, the only question that came up repeatedly was "where are you working?" to which my spouse replied, "I'm not working, I'm not allowed to". One time, when trying the first approach, one of the officers told us that my spouse does not yet have PR, and therefore cannot reside in Canada and thus cannot use the same address as me (even though this is one of the requirements of the Inland class, but I wisely chose not to pick a fight here). We had to fill out 2 new declaration cards, mine using our current address and my spouse's using an old address in South America (even though that apartment is long gone) and we were let through.

I think that as long as you travel together, and your spouse understands that in the eyes of the law he or she is a visitor to Canada until receiving PR, travel abroad for short periods of time is not excessively risky. However, it's never a sure thing so please do exercise caution.

I hope this is helpful.

_GFDVCA
Thank you for sharing your experience GFDVCA. Having your spouse and all the documents with you is the best thing you can do to avoid problems. We should still remember that it still relies on the border officer's decision to let you through or not. Having an application in process, OWP, SIN, First stage approval doesn't entitle you to entry. But I think the officers are also humans and understand that sometimes we do need to go out of the country for several reasons.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
linxord said:
Thank you for sharing your experience GFDVCA. Having your spouse and all the documents with you is the best thing you can do to avoid problems. We should still remember that it still relies on the border officer's decision to let you through or not. Having an application in process, OWP, SIN, First stage approval doesn't entitle you to entry. But I think the officers are also humans and understand that sometimes we do need to go out of the country for several reasons.
I also have a suspicion that border agents don't know the difference between an outland and inland application. in my experience, when they looked at papers regarding PR, the officer didn't seem to understand what he was looking at. also, when they check the application status in the system, i think it looks exactly how we see it in ECAS, where i don't believe there is anyway to determine which kind of application it is, besides family class spousal sponsorship. so, my guess is THAT is probably a reason why so many inlanders don't have issue with re-entry, especially those who are visa exempt. Basically, the officer is seeing there is an application submitted, and that is all they care about.

ScarlettPrimrose

Dec 16, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
05-01-2015
AOR Received.
App Received by CIC 18-09-2013
Med's Request
05-01-2015
rhcohen2014 said:
I also have a suspicion that border agents don't know the difference between an outland and inland application. in my experience, when they looked at papers regarding PR, the officer didn't seem to understand what he was looking at. also, when they check the application status in the system, i think it looks exactly how we see it in ECAS, where i don't believe there is anyway to determine which kind of application it is, besides family class spousal sponsorship. so, my guess is THAT is probably a reason why so many inlanders don't have issue with re-entry, especially those who are visa exempt. Basically, the officer is seeing there is an application submitted, and that is all they care about.
Again, I think this depends on the officer. The first time re-entering Canada, my border agent made a point to tell us our implied status is now null since my husband left the country and thus has to keep a proof of landing that he must renew before the expiry and extend his status until he has his OWP. And that the next time he re-enters the country to make a point of saying he is on a visitor's status and wish to stay in Canada until a decision is made on his application for PR, even if he is applying through inland.

linxord

Apr 10, 2013
so I'm landed now and everything is good. waiting for my PR card in the mail.

although something bugs me. at some point along the process CBSA said that there was a removal order against me from a previous refugee application. Not sure what happens to it when your process is complete now and you're landed. Does it go off the system by itself? do we have to do something? will I have problems when crossing the border with my PR card?

I've been searching google endlessly trying to find a document from CIC that explains such a scenario. I even want to call CIC Call center to ask them this question. It is bugging me a lot.

orotibash

Star Member
Dec 16, 2014
hello everyone! we had our sponsorship application submitted last nov. 2013 and until now haven't heard anything yet. I will submit an OWP application today (under the new pilot) since i didn't include it in our sponsorship application. I'm just wondering how did it take for you guys to receive the OWP?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
linxord said:
so I'm landed now and everything is good. waiting for my PR card in the mail.

although something bugs me. at some point along the process CBSA said that there was a removal order against me from a previous refugee application. Not sure what happens to it when your process is complete now and you're landed. Does it go off the system by itself? do we have to do something? will I have problems when crossing the border with my PR card?

I've been searching google endlessly trying to find a document from CIC that explains such a scenario. I even want to call CIC Call center to ask them this question. It is bugging me a lot.
Interesting, but...how did you answer question 2 and 3 from your landing interview:

linxord said:
Thank you :)

The standard questions.
1) have you committed a crime
2) have you been deported
3) have you been asked to leave
4) do you have any dependants that you have not declared on the application.
If you answered no to either question, I too wonder what happens now. :eek:

yulialake

Oct 2, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gfdvca said:
I seriously wonder if this is the end of AIP as we know it. It would appear that the dates for AIP and DM have practically converged, and far as I can tell, AIP doesn't offer the applicant anything additional to an OWP. In Alberta, OWP can get you health care and a driver's license, and a job (...duh).

It would also stand to reason why the call centre agents are placing more emphasis on the TOTAL Stage 1 plus Stage 2 time when people call in after their Stage 1 time has passed. Essentially, all of the privileges that came with AIP are now conferred to you at AOR without any checks except for completeness of the application.

Personally, I think that the August 29 date that they just published on the website is BS, just to show SOME movement. I hope DM is coming soon to September applicants...
yeees, AIP and DM together!!!! yes for September applicants and more!!!