AOR Received.
03-09-2013
Med's Done....
Sent with App
VISA ISSUED...
AIP + DM 12-02-2015
LANDED..........
12-03-2015
I hate to say it, but the longer we wait for AIP and OWP, the harder it is for me to be sympathetic towards those just waiting on DM :p Happy for you though!

corbs

Star Member
Jan 15, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2013
AOR Received.
02-04-2013
Med's Done....
20-12-2013
AckTivity said:
In the same boat here. We got AIP on February 17th. Thankfully I also received my OWP, but man I would love to be done with waiting for DM. So did those of us who stayed in Vegreville just get stuck in a file?
Woah can't believe it's taken them this long. I had similar dates to you, got AIP early Feb and DM two weeks later. Landed in March and received PR card this week. Did they request additional docs from you?

ACS

May 30, 2013
Mississauga, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville (now sent to CPC-M)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2013
Doc's Request.
SA 06-11-2014/AIP 17-11-2014
AOR Received.
26-09-2013 (didn't get email-called CIC)
Med's Request
Sent With
Med's Done....
03-06-2013
Interview........
DM 02-02-2014
I'm a bit confused by some of the comments on the last page....

Is it possible for the Sponsor to be approved and NOT have AIP??

It was my understanding the Sponsor being approved IS AIP....?

Can anyone clarify?

Daizey

Jan 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V to CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-08-2013
AOR Received.
03-09-2013
Med's Done....
Sent with App
VISA ISSUED...
AIP + DM 12-02-2015
LANDED..........
12-03-2015
ACS said:

Can anyone clarify?
From what they're saying, the actual letter that the sponsored receives is AIP. Which means that the sponsor is approved. So yes, from what they say on the previous page, you can be notified that you're approved, but you don't get AIP until the sponsored person receives notification that the sponsor is approved. Meaning the actual official notification is AIP? I don't know, I'm still a little confused myself. This is totally different than what everyone else has said at this point.

The only thing I can think of is that's it's the similar confusion of date received vs. AOR. AOR is the official notification that your file was received. Maybe AIP is the official notification that the sponsor was approved in comparison?

todare

Star Member
Nov 5, 2012
ACS said:

Can anyone clarify?
As I understand it, AIP (approved in principle) comes as a secondary letter from CIC. It is the AIP of your application for permenant residency. This is seperate from the sponsorship approval. Sponsorship approval is stage one. Stage 2 consists of getting a letter saying AIP (or that you have all the correct documents and they have all the required information and based on that you are approved for permenant residency) and then another letter where someone higher up signs off on the documents and approves your residency(discision made). Then you get your landing date. All this could go out the window as they seem so disorganized to us. So who knows if it all still is true.

Daizey

Jan 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V to CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-08-2013
AOR Received.
03-09-2013
Med's Done....
Sent with App
VISA ISSUED...
AIP + DM 12-02-2015
LANDED..........
12-03-2015
todare said:
As I understand it, AIP (approved in principle) comes as a secondary letter from CIC. It is the AIP of your application for permenant residency. This is seperate from the sponsorship approval. Sponsorship approval is stage one. Stage 2 consists of getting a letter saying AIP (or that you have all the correct documents and they have all the required information and based on that you are approved for permenant residency) and then another letter where someone higher up signs off on the documents and approves your residency(discision made). Then you get your landing date. All this could go out the window as they seem so disorganized to us. So who knows if it all still is true.
Haha, ain't that the truth! It's no wonder we're all confused, we've yet to get straight forward answers from CIC about anything that's going on. It stays a big mystery!

Daizey

Jan 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V to CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-08-2013
AOR Received.
03-09-2013
Med's Done....
Sent with App
VISA ISSUED...
AIP + DM 12-02-2015
LANDED..........
12-03-2015
Well I checked the CIC website glossary, and this is all it says about AIP:

Approval in Principle (AIP): Positive determination of eligibility in a permanent residence application processed in Canada. Similar to a positive selection decision made overseas.

So does this mean that their application is eligible and now they will begin processing stage 2, or does it mean that the application is approved for the sponsored?

I also found this on another forum, but it leads to a dead link when I tried to check the referenced source:

CIC can give approval in principle when the applicant has met eligibility requirements (criteria in R124 of the Regulations), but admissibility checks are still pending (medical, security and background checks). http://www.cic.gc.ca/manuals-guides/english/ip/index.html

I also found this in an old thread on this message board when someone was needing more info on AIP:

Usver said:
hello forum users: this is the response that I got from a call center agent at CIC in a e-mail:
"*Approved in principle means that you received a letter from the Case Processing Centre or the local office stating that you are eligible to apply for permanent resident status but that a final decision will not be made until all requirements for becoming a permanent resident have been met. These requirements include medical, security and background verifications for you and, if applicable, your family members. "
So from this, I'm still thinking that AIP does not equal application approved for permanent residency. I still think it's just telling the sponsored person that the sponsor has now been approved, and that makes them eligible now for processing. Then after the sponsored person's application is done processing, that's when you get DM.

Maxician

Star Member
Nov 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-03-13
AOR Received.
23-03-13
Almost 6 months since I got AIP (Meds and Police checks sent beforehand), and no news. "In process" is the only information I see on my eCas. At least it won't be snowing for the next 3.5 months. :-\

Do you think, by any chance, they do surveillance on us; Big Brother, N S A style?

I've been thinking about canceling the application. This has made my relationship with my wife pretty miserable at some points.

Cheers anyway!!!

Daizey

Jan 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V to CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-08-2013
AOR Received.
03-09-2013
Med's Done....
Sent with App
VISA ISSUED...
AIP + DM 12-02-2015
LANDED..........
12-03-2015
Maxician said:
Almost 6 months since I got AIP (Meds and Police checks sent beforehand), and no news. "In process" is the only information I see on my eCas. At least it won't be snowing for the next 3.5 months. :-\

Do you think, by any chance, they do surveillance on us; Big Brother, N S A style?

I've been thinking about canceling the application. This has made my relationship with my wife pretty miserable at some points.

Cheers anyway!!!
Oh no! That is one thing that I've noticed, this stressful process can either tear a couple apart, or make them stronger. You really don't realize going into this how hard it will be. Don't give up! You're almost there, and I do truly hope that things with your wife will be okay. No marriage is perfect, you're in it for the good times, and the bad times. Remember that, and try to stay strong. :)

Maxician

Star Member
Nov 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-03-13
AOR Received.
23-03-13
Daizey said:
Oh no! That is one thing that I've noticed, this stressful process can either tear a couple apart, or make them stronger. You really don't realize going into this how hard it will be. Don't give up! You're almost there, and I do truly hope that things with your wife will be okay. No marriage is perfect, you're in it for the good times, and the bad times. Remember that, and try to stay strong. :)
You're right "Rivers know this: there is no hurry". I think it's an excruciating mistake to be just 'Waiting". It's an unfair position to be in, for sure, but there's good and bad attitudes to face it! I've been reading and learning a lot all this time. And I'll put all that into practice soon.

Thanks Daizey!

Let's be grateful, at least we have the love of our significant other!! ;D

Mocha7

Sep 17, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jul 3, 13
AOR Received.
Jul 30, 13
Interview........
AIP: Feb 7, 14
Passport Req..
OWP: Feb 13, 14
VISA ISSUED...
DM: May 19, 15
LANDED..........
Landing: TBA
Let's try to make it simplifier to read here:

At stage 1, if everything goes well (sponsor meets eligibility and relationship is believed to be genuine) :
Sponsorship Eligibility Letter --> Sponsor
Application for PR Eligibility Letter --> Applicant / the one being sponsored (the real AIP)
[if relationship is in doubt, but sponsorship meets eligibility as a PR/Citizen with valid status and is not under another spousal sponsorship within 5 years, the sponsor can still receive the sponsorship eligibility letter but the applicant might not receive AIP, or letter requesting further documents, or being transferred to local office for interview.]

*In my case, these two letters / email will be sent at the same time, but just to different email address as one to sponsor, and the other to the applicant.

At Stage 2, if med/background check/police check are clear:
Decision made Letter --> Sponsor and Applicant

After DM, we still need to wait for another letter from local office to notify about landing interview, and this letter will be delivered via Canada Post instead of email.

Daizey

Jan 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V to CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-08-2013
AOR Received.
03-09-2013
Med's Done....
Sent with App
VISA ISSUED...
AIP + DM 12-02-2015
LANDED..........
12-03-2015
Maxician said:
You're right "Rivers know this: there is no hurry". I think it's an excruciating mistake to be just 'Waiting". It's an unfair position to be in, for sure, but there's good and bad attitudes to face it! I've been reading and learning a lot all this time. And I'll put all that into practice soon.

Thanks Daizey!

Let's be grateful, at least we have the love of our significant other!! ;D
You're definitely right! Just sitting there waiting is probably the worst thing you can do! I found that out, and have tried to find things to fill my days in the meantime, to get my mind off the waiting.

Sometimes I have to sit back and think, was it worth it? All this stress? And then my husband smiles at me or makes me laugh, and I say yes, it definitely is to be able to be with him through it all. :)

Daizey

Jan 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V to CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-08-2013
AOR Received.
03-09-2013
Med's Done....
Sent with App
VISA ISSUED...
AIP + DM 12-02-2015
LANDED..........
12-03-2015
Mocha7 said:
Let's try to make it simplifier to read here:

At stage 1, if everything goes well (sponsor meets eligibility and relationship is believed to be genuine) :
Sponsorship Eligibility Letter --> Sponsor
Application for PR Eligibility Letter --> Applicant / the one being sponsored (the real AIP)
[if relationship is in doubt, but sponsorship meets eligibility as a PR/Citizen with valid status and is not under another spousal sponsorship within 5 years, the sponsor can still receive the sponsorship eligibility letter but the applicant might not receive AIP, or letter requesting further documents, or being transferred to local office for interview.]

*In my case, these two letters / email will be sent at the same time, but just to different email address as one to sponsor, and the other to the applicant.

At Stage 2, if med/background check/police check are clear:
Decision made Letter --> Sponsor and Applicant

After DM, we still need to wait for another letter from local office to notify about landing interview, and this letter will be delivered via Canada Post instead of email.
That's what I thought, thanks for the clarification Mocha7! I think in the past when people received their sponsorship approval letter, we all just presumed that meant that AIP was on it's way, so began to say the two were the same thing.

Daizey

Jan 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V to CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-08-2013
AOR Received.
03-09-2013
Med's Done....
Sent with App
VISA ISSUED...
AIP + DM 12-02-2015
LANDED..........
12-03-2015
Actually, I have a totally unrelated question...

If you sent your application through certified mail, and the address listed on your application was your lawyer...is there a way to get them to notify you via email? Or will I just have to wait for my lawyer to get it through regular mail? I wasn't sure if some of you had done the same and was somehow able to get them to email you as well as contact your lawyer?

todare

Star Member
Nov 5, 2012
Daizey said:
Actually, I have a totally unrelated question...

If you sent your application through certified mail, and the address listed on your application was your lawyer...is there a way to get them to notify you via email? Or will I just have to wait for my lawyer to get it through regular mail? I wasn't sure if some of you had done the same and was somehow able to get them to email you as well as contact your lawyer?
Good question. I get everything from my lawyer