App. Filed.......
23-04-2013
AOR Received.
03-05-2013
Med's Done....
18-04-2013
waitingsincedec said:
Hi waitingkiwi,
I extended my visitor visa after it expired, I had to pay almost 300 dollars (i believe). I think it is worth because you get health care and you could change your status to student or work permit (as long as you are eligible for them by yourself) just sending your application to the US. I live in Alberta and you need active status (not implied) to get health care.
Hope it helps :)

Hello, Great thank you yes thats what I thought. I finally managed to get through to cic again and they said I had to restore my status $200 and $75 for the visitors extension. Must be what you paid? I am still temped to call CIC again for a 3rd answer since the first two were different. Im unsure when you say to send your application to the US?? It says to send it to our favorite office... Vegreville!! Which makes me wonder how long it will actually take to get processed.

But yes overall if I can get alberta health care it will still cost less than getting private insurance. If anything actually happens it is cheaper for your private insurance to fly you home!

WaitingKiwi

Star Member
Aug 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-04-2013
AOR Received.
03-05-2013
Med's Done....
18-04-2013
computergeek said:
First, have you checked with Alberta's health folks to see if your AOR is not sufficient? I know that it generally is here in BC (and AB is usually more generous with health care than BC for spouses).

But the CIC CIC Call Centre person was correct. Send a copy of your AOR (or fee receipt if you don't have the AOR yet) along with your VR extension request and explain why you want actual status rather than implied status. You aren't out of status, so you don't need to pay the $200 restoration of status fee.

Good luck!
Thanks computergeek. Yes unfortunately thats the case for Alberta. Yes I feel that I am not out of status since I am under Implied status and obviously haven't broken any rules. This is what it says *paragraph below when you go to pay your fees. Hence why I am hesitating to just pay the $75. Now one call centre person has said to pay the $75 and the other $275! So I could call again and go for best out of 3.

Make sure that you are eligible before you pay your fees and that you provide all the information requested before you submit the application. The processing fee will not be refunded, regardless of the final decision once the Case Processing Centre has started processing the application. For example, if your temporary resident status has expired and you incorrectly apply for an extension of temporary resident status, no refund for the extension will be provided and you will be asked to provide a second fee for the restoration. A determination that you are not eligible for the extension of temporary resident status is considered as “processing” and the fee will not be refunded. If you apply again, you will have to pay another processing fee.

shyla36

Sep 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-08-2013
AOR Received.
20-09-2013
Med's Done....
01-08-2013
LANDED..........
04-02-2015
WaitingKiwi said:
Hello, Great thank you yes thats what I thought. I finally managed to get through to cic again and they said I had to restore my status $200 and $75 for the visitors extension. Must be what you paid? I am still temped to call CIC again for a 3rd answer since the first two were different. Im unsure when you say to send your application to the US?? It says to send it to our favorite office... Vegreville!! Which makes me wonder how long it will actually take to get processed.

But yes overall if I can get alberta health care it will still cost less than getting private insurance. If anything actually happens it is cheaper for your private insurance to fly you home!
Hi waitingkiwi. I extended my visitor status 2 weeks before it expired. I also live in Alberta and yes, I have clarified twice with the Alberta health services that they would need a new visitor status. I did it online as it only takes 43 days vs the long wait if you do it through actual paperworks. I submitted mine in Vegreville, yes our favorite office. Lol
Hope this helps

Jul 21, 2013
Edmonton
Visa Office......
vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-01-2013
AOR Received.
04-02-2013
WaitingKiwi said:

I was talking about requesting Student or Work permit to the US, NOT the restoration of status :)
I think that is what I paid too.. I just don´t remember very well.

Also, be carefull with the info you get from CIC. They even sent me a letter with wrong info about this issues (keep status and requesting Study permit). Thankfully the MP office told us the right way to do thing.

WaitingKiwi

Star Member
Aug 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-04-2013
AOR Received.
03-05-2013
Med's Done....
18-04-2013
shyla36 said:
Hi waitingkiwi. I extended my visitor status 2 weeks before it expired. I also live in Alberta and yes, I have clarified twice with the Alberta health services that they would need a new visitor status. I did it online as it only takes 43 days vs the long wait if you do it through actual paperworks. I submitted mine in Vegreville, yes our favorite office. Lol
Hope this helps
Awesome thank you, yes thats a great help. I have all of the forms here ready to post - but that was just to avoid the $200 restoration fee. I will do it online now, I cant see a way to avoid that.

WaitingKiwi

Star Member
Aug 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-04-2013
AOR Received.
03-05-2013
Med's Done....
18-04-2013
waitingsincedec said:
I was talking about requesting Student or Work permit to the US, NOT the restoration of status :)
I think that is what I paid too.. I just don´t remember very well.

Also, be carefull with the info you get from CIC. They even sent me a letter with wrong info about this issues (keep status and requesting Study permit). Thankfully the MP office told us the right way to do thing.
Ohh k thanks. Yes I feel like every time I call CIC they send me circles lol We emailed our MP a few times but he couldn't really offer any new information - this was during the strikes tho. He did say there was alot of people making noise about it, so I guess thats a good thing.

Line.a

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2010
Denmark
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-13
AOR Received.
27-02-13
Med's Request
08-02-14
Med's Done....
15-03-14
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
Waived!
VISA ISSUED...
OWP: 25-02-14
LANDED..........
23-07-14
I am starting to really worry. I am aware that I heard that we are very unlikely to fail the medical test when applying for spousal sponsorship. I have had surgeries performed on my both eyes back when I had health care (it was something that had to be done no exception or I'd go blind with cataracts) and I already have uveitis and need to be checked regularly by an eye doctor to most likely get an expensive drug prescribed to treat my juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. It was something I was already being treated with when I lived in my home country.

Is it a good idea not to volunteer too much information if they don't ask about it? I mean I'll answer it truthfully if they do ask, but I am worried since I'm not sure if all this spells out extensive health care and will fail it?

UKZippy

Star Member
Dec 18, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vergreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-02-2013
AOR Received.
11-02-2013
Med's Request
17-10-2013
LANDED..........
Been here since 2011 - PR on 28/05/2015
Deedeedar said:
@ UKZippy,

I wonder if you sent out the medical exam within PR application or not. Or you didn't do it and they asked you to do?

Cheers!
Hi Deedeedar,

They emailed me to do it, as I just sent off and paid for the first half of the application.

UKZippy

Star Member
Dec 18, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vergreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-02-2013
AOR Received.
11-02-2013
Med's Request
17-10-2013
LANDED..........
CANUSA31 said:
Do you think it`s just pure luck that UKZippy got his AIP before January 2013 applicants? I find it odd, but nonetheless, congrats to you!
Thanks CANUSA31,

I'm not sure what has happened? Maybe it could be down to me having a temporay tax number and the numerous calls to the tax people to get my wifes tax benefits sorted out.....sort of being on another govornment system may have helped

UKZippy

Star Member
Dec 18, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vergreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-02-2013
AOR Received.
11-02-2013
Med's Request
17-10-2013
LANDED..........
Hi all,
Just trying to pay for my OWP on line and CIC have changed their payment system, grrrrr.

I have a UK visa debit card and for the past 2 years I've paid all fees with that. Ok it's a debit card not a credit card. But in the UK you can use anything with a visa symbol on it as if it were a credit card. But hey ho, now CIC wont accept that any more, gotta be a credit card grrrrr.

So now I've got to tranfer money from the UK to my wifes Canadian credit card and pay with that.....what a pain....but hey at least I have AIP!!!

UKZippy

Star Member
Dec 18, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vergreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-02-2013
AOR Received.
11-02-2013
Med's Request
17-10-2013
LANDED..........
Thank you all for your nice messages on my getting AIP :)

Some have asked how come I got it before others who applied before me? I honestly don't know.

However I'm thinking that all the hassel we had when my spouse filed her taxes and said she was common-law may have had something to do with it.

The CRA stopped all her child and tax benefits, then wanted to know about all my income. I had to file 2 years tax returns ( the time I've been in Canada).....err didn't know that. Anyway that lead to another challange - how do you file taxes without a Canadian SIN. So I had to apply for a temporary tax number. Once I got that I could file taxes, $0 for the past 2 years.

After numerous phone calls and letters, my spouse' tax credits were restored. They did deduct some due to my earning in the UK before I arrived in Canada....yes I did say BEFORE. Don't ask me why, but they just do that and no one could tell me why. Seems unfair really.

Anyway I'm thinking that because of all the dealings with numerous govornment agencies it might have speeded up the aplication.

Have a great weekend folks!

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
UKZippy said:
Hi all,
Just trying to pay for my OWP on line and CIC have changed their payment system, grrrrr.

I have a UK visa debit card and for the past 2 years I've paid all fees with that. Ok it's a debit card not a credit card. But in the UK you can use anything with a visa symbol on it as if it were a credit card. But hey ho, now CIC wont accept that any more, gotta be a credit card grrrrr.

So now I've got to tranfer money from the UK to my wifes Canadian credit card and pay with that.....what a pain....but hey at least I have AIP!!!
If it has the visa logo on it, just put it listed as a credit card, not a debit card and no worries about the transfers ... as you might have noticed, debit cards here have funny little chips in them, no visa logos ;)

UKZippy

Star Member
Dec 18, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vergreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-02-2013
AOR Received.
11-02-2013
Med's Request
17-10-2013
LANDED..........
Alurra71 said:
If it has the visa logo on it, just put it listed as a credit card, not a debit card and no worries about the transfers ... as you might have noticed, debit cards here have funny little chips in them, no visa logos ;)
Hi Alurra71,

They give you no option to list debit or credit. Just as they have never accepted Canadian visa debit, now they wont accept UK visa debit.
It has to be a fully fledged credit card - Visa, Mastercard or AE

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
UKZippy said:
Hi Alurra71,

They give you no option to list debit or credit. Just as they have never accepted Canadian visa debit, now they wont accept UK visa debit.
It has to be a fully fledged credit card - Visa, Mastercard or AE

Bah, gov't red tape, it's the same lovely shade of red no matter what borders you live within, I suppose. Trying to apply logic in the logic free zones of any gov't. You would think I would know better by now! LOL

woodyc

Star Member
Jul 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville/Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-07-2013
AOR Received.
18-08-2013
Med's Done....
08-07-2013
LANDED..........
24-02-2015
Congrats UKZippy. 8 months for AIP that's gotta be some sort of record.