Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
Yes, there's a lot of slang, and the way they run certain words together makes things harder ("Je sais" becomes something like "Chez," and "Je suis" becomes "Chu"). We actually have a section in our texts that lists some of the Québécois pronunciation quirks. And then here, in Saguenay...well, even other Québecers struggle to understand some of the Saguenayéens!

It was pretty cute, when I was at the Regie's office in Québec City. The people I spoke with there were very kind and patient, and when the lady taking the photos for the cartes de soleil said she spoke some English, I told her it was okay, I would try in French. She asked me how I liked living in Québec City. I corrected her, "Mais non, je n'habite pas à Québec. J'habite à Chicoutimi." (Oh no, I don't live in Québec. I live in Chicoutimi.) Hahahahaha, the look on her face was priceless. In French, she replied, eyes a bit wide and sympathetic. "Oh! So...how's that going for you???" :-D Probably not that funny if you don't live here, but even those in Québec City think of this region as...special. Especially for Anglophones living here!

I don't understand most overheard conversations, but I'm at a point where, if someone has the patience to talk to me (they slow down, use less slang, pronounce things a little bit more carefully/clearly), I can understand and be pretty easily understood. Still a long way to go! I don't know that I'll ever get to a point that I consider fluent, but I'm approaching conversational now. And I can easily do things for myself now, which is very, VERY nice. (Especially since my darling husband is not a helpful person, haha!)

CrazzzyCatLady

Star Member
Jun 27, 2013
Ufffffff, you got it tough. But with complete immersion, you will be able to eavesdrop on people's conversations very soon =)) And yeah if people in Quebec City think you are in a difficult situation, it must be pretty dire! The places we end up living in .... crazy. I bet if anyone told you 10 years ago you will be living in "middle of French Earth, Quebec" you would be sceptical.

On the bright side of life, you can buy booze in the grocery store there hehehe Here, we don't even have a single "off-sale". So we have to time the drowning of our sorrows very carefully with the liquor store hours =))

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
Not so! There is wine and beer at the grocery store, but you have to go to the SAQ to get real booze. (Which reminds me, I've got another stop to make today...) And I swear, you have to know calculus to be able to figure out when they're open. Only any two days share the same hours. I've memorized noon-5pm, because those are the shortest hours, so every day, it's at least open noon to 5.

It's really not so bad. I've heard some really terrible complaints from some other anglos in this region, but I think they must take their negativity out with them, and it's just reflected back at them. At first, it was definitely hard, not speaking French, but I take a smiling and slightly apologetic demeanor with me (because, after all, *I* am the outsider here, they didn't ask to have anglos plunked down here), and I find people to be very, very kind, for the most part. I get some who are less patient than others, but heck, one guy at a shoe store where I bought some boots talked to me for 15 minutes, telling me I spoke great French "for an American," lol, and encouraging me to continue talking to people and working at it.

CrazzzyCatLady

Star Member
Jun 27, 2013
For those guys who still waiting,
do you have anything "different" about your application? Red flagy sort of things?

For us, we have a pretty big age difference. I am starting to think that that might be the reason for the delay. Plus the whole thing about my not needing the police check. Or may be I am just having paranoid thoughts :-X

And we are actually planning on going to Quebec City this summer, so I should update my slag vocabulary =)))))) Oh, and to Illes des Madeline ... pretty.

charmainefrances

Oct 24, 2011
St. Albert, Alberta
Visa Office......
CPC/VEGREVILLE TRANSFERRED TO CIC-EDMONTON
App. Filed.......
23-11-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
23-10-2013 received by cic 31-10-2013
Interview........
12-09-2013 PASSED
Passport Req..
18-03-2014 PPR OF MY SON
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2014
LANDED..........
June 24,2014 To God be the glory! PR CARD received: August 22, 2014 (exactly 60 days after landing)! Son's PR card arrived August 27, 2014 (exactly 65 days after landing)
CrazzzyCatLady said:
For those guys who still waiting,
do you have anything "different" about your application? Red flagy sort of things?

For us, we have a pretty big age difference. I am starting to think that that might be the reason for the delay. Plus the whole thing about my not needing the police check. Or may be I am just having paranoid thoughts :-X

And we are actually planning on going to Quebec City this summer, so I should update my slag vocabulary =)))))) Oh, and to Illes des Madeline ... pretty.
hELLO! ;) How big is the age difference between you and your spouse? me and hubby has 32 year age gap.. we waited for almost 3 years before we got an interview request... The wait was worth it though... as we got the approval (AIP and OWP)

Hang in there! everything will be fine!

Mimence777

Jul 26, 2013
OMG I just checked my ECAS randomly, not thinking anything have changed since yesterday, but I have a DM message updated on ECAS. I am so happy that I want to cry. :D ;D :'( I never received an e-mail nor letter, but ECAS says Decision is made on your file...so I am fine with that. And unfortunately nobody is from around here that I would know how long to wait for a landing date. :( All the best of luck to everyone waiting, I know your time will come too :).

nairaboy

Star Member
Oct 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-12-2012
Doc's Request.
17-01-2013
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Request
09-03-2015
Med's Done....
06-03-2013
Interview........
10-06-2015
Hi Guys pls I need some insight if any body can help! I just got AIP after a long wait, me and my wife are thinking of moving out west Alberta to be précised just want to know if this move will affect anything or my application shld just follow its normal course. Pls as anybody ever moved during application process or after AIP b4 DM? I will be very glad if anybody can help out.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
nairaboy said:
Hi Guys pls I need some insight if any body can help! I just got AIP after a long wait, me and my wife are thinking of moving out west Alberta to be précised just want to know if this move will affect anything or my application shld just follow its normal course. Pls as anybody ever moved during application process or after AIP b4 DM? I will be very glad if anybody can help out.
Your application will continue along it's normal course. You would need to call CIC to update your mailing address with them or else you risk not getting your mail from them at all as a lot of their things are not forwarded. The only thing I can think that might potentially be an issue is if you don't get your address updated properly and they set up your landing appointment with your current local office rather than the one nearest to where you are wanting to move.

Good luck with the move!

Tilikun

Jan 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Veg--CPC-Miss
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2013
AOR Received.
05-09-2013
Med's Done....
13-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
SA and AIP 27-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM 08-01-2015 Landing letter email 12-01-2015
LANDED..........
(On 2nd attempt) 23-01-2015/PRCard received on 09-03-2015
ACS said:
They don't even seem to know themselves which office processes what, and what they are supposed to do.

After getting the same instructions from THREE call center reps, we sent an Application for Criminal Rehabilitation with the For Information Only box checked, since my husband has a record in the US, but not something that would even incur jail time in Canada. It's supposed to be a No Charge service as you are not actually applying FOR rehabilitation. We sent the credit card form filled out, but not signed, as we wouldn't have to pay unless they deem that he does require the Criminal Rehabilitation process, at which point we would have to send in a new application anyways.

We sent it to the Etobicoke office, like we were supposed to. Etobicoke sent it to Vegreville. Vegreville sent it BACK to Etobicoke with a note saying that it is to be processed in Etobicoke. (How do they not know that it's their OWN OFFICE to process it?!?!?!) ???

Etobicoke then sent it back to us since the credit card form was not signed. This is an indication that 1) They don't know what they are doing or 2) they didn't flip to the actual application and see that the For Information Only box was checked.....

GRRRRRRR

So we sent it back explaining ALL of that. I removed the credit card form completely to “prevent further confusion” for them.
Hi ACS , how do you know that crossing US border w/o inspection would not incur jail time in Canada ? I've been looking tru everywhere about Canada's laws and couldn't find any "crime" like that one . Although I think you did wrong by not signing the credit card form , because it says on the website that even for an special permission to remain in canada ,a fee could be charged . I know you wouldn't think of it because is for information only , but there is a note on the website that you probly missed.

ArchRivalNeo

Sep 20, 2012
Hello Everyone,

My wife is a US citizen and I sent in her inland application sometime in Oct-Nov 2012, we just received a DM on PR application status on Feb 24. Question now how long will it take till she gets a call for interview. Will she even be called for an interview or will the COPR be directly mailed to us? We would like to travel early April and that has been hampered a bit when CIC told us today the timeline is 8 weeks from DM to getting a call from local CIC office. We live in Calgary btw. Thanks for replies :)

Tilikun

Jan 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Veg--CPC-Miss
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2013
AOR Received.
05-09-2013
Med's Done....
13-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
SA and AIP 27-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM 08-01-2015 Landing letter email 12-01-2015
LANDED..........
(On 2nd attempt) 23-01-2015/PRCard received on 09-03-2015
Mimence777 said:
OMG I just checked my ECAS randomly, not thinking anything have changed since yesterday, but I have a DM message updated on ECAS. I am so happy that I want to cry. :D ;D :'( I never received an e-mail nor letter, but ECAS says Decision is made on your file...so I am fine with that. And unfortunately nobody is from around here that I would know how long to wait for a landing date. :( All the best of luck to everyone waiting, I know your time will come too :).
Congratulations ! The DM that you saw , is it under the sponsorship column ? Or under the permanent residence one ?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
ArchRivalNeo said:
Hello Everyone,

My wife is a US citizen and I sent in her inland application sometime in Oct-Nov 2012, we just received a DM on PR application status on Feb 24. Question now how long will it take till she gets a call for interview. Will she even be called for an interview or will the COPR be directly mailed to us? We would like to travel early April and that has been hampered a bit when CIC told us today the timeline is 8 weeks from DM to getting a call from local CIC office. We live in Calgary btw. Thanks for replies :)
It won't be an 'interview' persay as much as it is just to go and sign her COPR and such. You will need to accompany her to this interview. It won't take long to complete, however it might take a few weeks / months to even get an appointment date set to land. They will NOT mail her COPR as she is an inland applicant. If she is a US citizen and has a DM, then you are likely going to be fine to travel. Most of the time it is not an issue, and the border officers will be able to clearly see that she has a decision on her application and is only waiting on her landing appointment. The only 'danger' might be that you get a landing letter with very little lead time to the date. Most folks get their letter with a few weeks before their date, however, I have read a few cases where folks get their letter and the date is the next day or within a couple days. You would not want to miss that date for anything! Getting another set up would be nearly impossible not to mention quite time consuming as they assume your application has been abandoned when you don't show up.

Annabell

Jun 27, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2012
AOR Received.
08-01-2013
Med's Done....
14-09-2012
LANDED..........
May 19, 2015
Congrats Mimence777.
I'm a day ahead of you on submission and AIP, so I just checked ecas for my DM. No such luck for me. But does now say medical results have been received - no delay there then as they have had them since November 15, 2012!!!!
In answer to the question of; do any of us still waiting from 2012 have anything possibly 'red flagged' delaying us? mine us a no. All they will tell me is mine is a straight forward easy application and sometimes that they need my background check, sometimes they say they have it, then not again.
I'm getting very disheartened after waiting so long for AIP too. :(

Mimence777

Jul 26, 2013
Tilikun said:
Congratulations ! The DM that you saw , is it under the sponsorship column ? Or under the permanent residence one ?
It is under my side of the application, under the permanent residence one. And it wasn't there before. The last update was that my medicals were received 5 months ago.

ArchRivalNeo

Sep 20, 2012
Alurra71 said:
It won't be an 'interview' persay as much as it is just to go and sign her COPR and such. You will need to accompany her to this interview. It won't take long to complete, however it might take a few weeks / months to even get an appointment date set to land. They will NOT mail her COPR as she is an inland applicant. If she is a US citizen and has a DM, then you are likely going to be fine to travel. Most of the time it is not an issue, and the border officers will be able to clearly see that she has a decision on her application and is only waiting on her landing appointment. The only 'danger' might be that you get a landing letter with very little lead time to the date. Most folks get their letter with a few weeks before their date, however, I have read a few cases where folks get their letter and the date is the next day or within a couple days. You would not want to miss that date for anything! Getting another set up would be nearly impossible not to mention quite time consuming as they assume your application has been abandoned when you don't show up.
Thanks for your reply. However, I was talking about me travelling. If I'm out of the country and my wife gets the call to show up at the local CIC office, what would happen when she shows up there without me?