Feb 12, 2012
London , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
computergeek said:
First, I'm assuming he is just out of status and that he has not been given a removal order, as that would make this much more complicated.

With AIP he can apply for an open work permit. Once granted, he will be back in status. There is nothing in the requirements (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-eligible.asp#inside) that say he must be in status to apply. Where it asks what his current status is, you may just wish to say "applicant for inland spousal PR" or something to that effect, since he doesn't have other status.

The online application currently says it takes 54 days, so 54 days after he submits the OWP application, it should issue and he should have it shortly thereafter - so figure two months.

Yours is a good example to future applicants: when you file an inland application, make sure you include some sort of status application with the inland forms because it means you'll be covered by implied status. Inland spouses don't need to be in status, but it makes life more difficult.

Good luck!
He won't be abel to use the online application , because in the process he wont't be abel to pass the visitor status expiration date part.
(he will get the message that he has to restore his status first)

You have to use paper application...

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Imim said:
Permanent Residence
We started processing your application on October 10, 2012.
Congratulations! Hope you get your DM soon as well.

wolanila

Jun 8, 2011
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wow what a beautiful day. I hope everyone's day is as wonderful as mine.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
wolanila said:
Wow what a beautiful day. I hope everyone's day is as wonderful as mine.
Today has been fantastic here. :)

meowmeow

Star Member
Sep 18, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 12th, 2012
AOR Received.
March 14th, 2012
File Transfer...
(AIP) Oct 02nd, 2012
Med's Done....
Feb 24th, 2012
computergeek said:
Today has been fantastic here. :)
Do you have a landing today computergreek? Today is Saturday ::)

meowmeow

Star Member
Sep 18, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 12th, 2012
AOR Received.
March 14th, 2012
File Transfer...
(AIP) Oct 02nd, 2012
Med's Done....
Feb 24th, 2012
wolanila said:
Yeah sure ur kisses are good. Hehe. Yeah the housing is cheaper here but higher than they used to be. When u arrive in sask u and ur husband should come on a double date with my wife and I. Don't worry Meowmeow I bet u will hear something soon. Nitenite sleep we'll.
Thanks for your kind, I will definitely contact you if I come there (but I think you and yr wife move to Vancouver b4 we get there hahaha). It's very nice to have friend like you ;). I will be a free tour guide for you guys if you move to Vancouver ;D (but Im not sure I'm right 100% everything cuz I have been living here exactly 1 year ;D ;D ;D)

wolanila

Jun 8, 2011
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ok Meowmeow we will see who moves first. I look forward to meeting u and ur husband. When u move here I know some Vietnamese families I can introduce u too if u like.

Computergeek congratulations to u on landing. I am very happy for you. Hope one day I can work for u in ur new company!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
meowmeow said:
Do you have a landing today computergreek? Today is Saturday ::)
I applied Outland - my work requires regular travel so staying in Canada for the duration wasn't an option. I received my COPR paperwork around 1:30 pm today (forwarded from my company's US offices) and a quick trip to the border had my executed COPR in my hand at 5:17 pm. Even the Vancouver rain couldn't make this anything but a terrific day.

moeytja

Star Member
Mar 16, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-03-2012
Doc's Request.
July 2012
AOR Received.
July 2012
Med's Request
11-10-2012
Med's Done....
Sent in october 2012 along w police cert
Interview........
we were asked for another police cert sept 2013
Passport Req..
they received new police cert nov 2013
Hi everyone... congratulations again to everyone who got their AIPs...

for the more experienced here... i got a couple questions. So once i send the medicals and police certificate, what is this landing thing? the pr card comes in the mail and that's it? or...

another question i have, which i know has been asked before but can't find the answer, is... once i got AIP, how can I travel before the PR card is ready?

thanks again guys.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
moeytja said:
for the more experienced here... i got a couple questions. So once i send the medicals and police certificate, what is this landing thing? the pr card comes in the mail and that's it? or...
"Landing" is the process of converting your status from "foreign national" to "permanent resident". Once you are granted permanent residency in Canada, your final step is to formally become a PR. For inland processing, this is done at an inland CIC office. They go over your Confirmation of Permanent Residency (COPR), confirm that you haven't been charged or convicted of any criminal activity and that you have declared all your dependents properly. Then you sign the COPR, they stamp your passport, keep one copy of your COPR - this is sent to Sydney, NS for production of your PR card, and attach the other to your passport.

moeytja said:
another question i have, which i know has been asked before but can't find the answer, is... once i got AIP, how can I travel before the PR card is ready?
You would need to have a status document allowing you to return to Canada. AIP is approval of the sponsor not of the applicant, so the applicant remains a foreign national. If you are from a visa-exempt country, your passport and your open work permit are normally all it takes to get back into Canada. If you require a visa, you will need to obtain a TRV so that you can return to Canada.

After you have landed, but before you receive your PR card, if you are visa-exempt you can just travel to Canada on your normal passport. The COPR document in your passport is sufficient for the border officer to determine you are a PR. If you are not visa-exempt, you will need to obtain a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) from a Canadian visa office. Fair warning: many visa offices have processing times for a PRTD that are as long as getting your PR card.

gjfst

Star Member
Feb 12, 2012
London , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry i don't want to correct you but according to this gov site you can't .

4. Can I re-enter Canada using a Record of Landing (IMM 1000)/Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR-IMM 5292)/Returning Resident Permit?

No, you cannot re-enter Canada using a Record of Landing (IMM 1000), Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR-IMM 5292) and a Returning Resident Permit. These documents are not valid for travel back to Canada. You require a valid PR card or a valid permanent resident travel document (PRTD) to re-enter Canada by train, plane, boat or bus.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/uae-eau/visas/faq.aspx?view=d

You can give it a shot, but it's not 100% they let you in.
If you come with your own car , than they let you in.

CG congratulations for your LANDING!

gjfst

Star Member
Feb 12, 2012
London , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can you apply to ESL school after AIP? (with study permit?) I want to improve my grammar...

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
gjfst said:
Sorry i don't want to correct you but according to this gov site you can't .
The problem with this site is that it actually is discussing the problem of travel. As long as you can get back to the POE, you don't need a PR Card. Commercial carriers are only going to allow you to travel to Canada if you are visa-exempt or you have a valid travel document, such as a PRTD or PR Card.

However, ENF 4 "Port of Entry Examinations" - the processing guide used by CBSA officers at the POE is rather clear on this point:

The permanent resident card is the only valid proof of permanent resident status in Canada.

The following documents are satisfactory indicators of permanent residence:
• the original Record of Landing:
• a certified true copy of a Record of Landing document issued by CIC National Headquarters;
• a letter issued by CIC National Headquarters verifying permanent residence;
• a passport duly stamped showing the date on which permanent residence was granted, if the
person was granted permanent resident status before 1973; and
• a Confirmation of Permanent Residence document [IMM 5292B].
Notice the careful language used here: The permanent resident card is the only valid proof of permanent resident status in Canada.

Yet, it goes on to say "but hey, these other things are satisfactory":

Thus, a commercial carrier will only accept the PR card. But a BSO will accept a much broader range of evidence. Further, the next section in ENF 4 (11.3) covers an interesting case:

11.3. Establishing permanent resident status without documents

BSOs at ports of entry have the discretion to authorize the entry of permanent residents, even in
the absence of documentation. If documentary evidence is not available, the BSO at Immigration
Secondary must establish the person’s permanent resident status through questioning and
checking the person’s status in FOSS. The status of persons who became permanent residents
before 1973 has to be verified by contacting the Query Response Centre at National
Headquarters at: QRC@cic.gc.ca.

Once a BSO is satisfied that a person is a permanent resident, the examination should be
concluded and the person should be allowed to enter Canada without delay.
(emphasis added)

The law actually says "a permanent resident has the right of entry into Canada". The reason this isn't 100% clear is because the law doesn't establish precisely how one determines this fact. They have a rule that says "passengers who are refused by commercial carriers are liable for the costs of returning those passengers and are subject to a fine." Thus, commercial carriers will be much more strict in their enforcement of the rule because of their own liability.

11. Examining permanent residents at ports of entry

A2(1) defines a permanent resident as a person who:
• has acquired permanent resident status; and
• has not subsequently lost that status under section A46.

11.1. Rights of permanent residents

A27(1) provides that a permanent resident has the right to enter and remain in Canada subject to
the provisions of the Act.

A19(2) requires an officer to allow a permanent resident to enter Canada if satisfied following an
examination on their entry that they have that status.

Permanent residents who are under enforcement proceedings keep their permanent resident
status and retain the right to enter Canada until a final determination of their loss of status has
been made.
These are citations (again from ENF 4) directly to the laws. If a BSO were to refuse someone who turns out to be a PR, their refusal would be unlawful.

So note the carefully crafted language in your original citation:

These documents are not valid for travel back to Canada. You require a valid PR card or a valid permanent resident travel document (PRTD) to re-enter Canada by train, plane, boat or bus.
This is absolutely true. But as long as you can get to the border, you'll be able to use your COPR to gain re-entry. Heck, under certain circumstances the BSO can allow you in without any documentation at all!

I have to travel to the US later this week. I won't have a PR card for my return, but I'm not actually sweating this - I'm on a US passport (hence visa exempt) and in fact the only time I'll show my passport is at the airline ticket counter - I'll use my Nexus card to clear immigration. So I don't even expect a BSO to look at my COPR at that point.

gjfst said:
CG congratulations for your LANDING!
Thanks! Hope everyone still waiting lands soon too!

wolanila

Jun 8, 2011
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gjfst said:
Can you apply to ESL school after AIP? (with study permit?) I want to improve my grammar...
It is my understanding that u can attend esl class with a visitor visa as long as the course does not exceed 6 months and it is not part of a larger course where u can obtain some kind of certificate apon completion. When we got the AIP letter it also said that that she is now eligible to apply for a study permit. But I would double check with CIC as ur circumstances may be different.

If u wait till u get pr most new landed immigrants can get free esl classes in government programs.
If u want to take esl now it will cost almost double than if u would wait untill ur a pr thought the university affiliates.

Deedeedar

Star Member
Jul 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Med's Request
28-10-2013
Med's Done....
04-05-2012
LANDED..........
30-04-2014
Hello there.

This is a very useful website, thank you for all who make our lives easier. I'm going to apply PR the end of this month as a common-law with my Canadian boyfriend and I have questions below:

1) As I've been living in Canada more than a year now, do I have to do the police clearance in Canada too? I got 1 from my home country already.

2) I want to apply an open work permit at the same time but I can't find it on the CIC web page, please help.
P.S. I have a tourist visa right now.

Thank you very much!!!

Dee