Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-07-2012
Med's Done....
April 28,2012
LANDED..........
July 10/14
de_to_ca said:
Thanks!! But can I apply for OWP ONLINE after receiving my AIP? Did someone apply online for OWP, with In-Canada spouse class PR application.
I got AIP on November 2012 and decided to apply OWP on Feb this year, i received it in April and yes, i did online. :)

de_to_ca

May 6, 2012
Awesome, thanks weary!! Goodluck with your DM - I am sure it will arrive soon.

weary-damsil31 said:
I got AIP on November 2012 and decided to apply OWP on Feb this year, i received it in April and yes, i did online. :)

mimi263

Star Member
Aug 13, 2012
Kaela6 said:
We received this in an email from a CIC agent regarding the same. You still need to apply to extend the work permit, but apply using paper method only, and write that you have applied for PR across the top:

Open Work Permit – Sponsorship of a Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada
If a spouse or common-law partner is sponsored from inside Canada, they can apply for an open work permit by completing an Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Worker (IMM 5553). This application must be sent before their status expires in the same envelope as the sponsorship application. This will allow them to keep a legal status in Canada up until the time their application for permanent residence is *approved in principle.
If their status expires before the application for permanent residence is approved in principle, they will still have a legal status in Canada. This is called implied status. Please note that the open work permit will only be issued once the application for permanent residence is approved in principle. Visit our Web site to see how long it may take to get approval in principle.
If the sponsored person did not send an open work permit application with their permanent residence application, they can send it, by mail, at any time while it is in process by writing Open Work Permit - Application for permanent residence in Canada - Spouse or common-law partner on the top of the form. They should also include proof that the permanent residence application was submitted. The open work permit application cannot be submitted online.
Please note that they must keep a legal status in Canada during the entire process of their application for permanent residence.
*Approved in principle means that the person being sponsored received a letter from the Case Processing Centre or local office stating that they meet the eligibility (minimum) requirements to apply for permanent resident status but that a final decision will not be made until all requirements for becoming a permanent resident have been met. These requirements include medical, security and background checks for the applicant and, if applicable, their family members.
Ok just to clarify... Because we have NOT received AIP as yet my husband will need to send in his OWP by mail and NOT online?

His OWP expires October, what happens if we do not receive the renewal in time?

Another question, I thougt because we have the spousal sponsorship paper work sent in to CIC that gives my husband "implied status", so whether his work permit is current or not that should still keep his
status as "implied"... Am I correct?

Ahhhh this thing is soooo confusing

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Good luck and congrats to krissikris on the landing today and becoming PR. Hope to hear from you today after your landing.

Good luck

Screech339

Line.a

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2010
Denmark
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-13
AOR Received.
27-02-13
Med's Request
08-02-14
Med's Done....
15-03-14
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
Waived!
VISA ISSUED...
OWP: 25-02-14
LANDED..........
23-07-14
Kaela6 said:
We received this in an email from a CIC agent regarding the same. You still need to apply to extend the work permit, but apply using paper method only, and write that you have applied for PR across the top:

Open Work Permit – Sponsorship of a Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada
If a spouse or common-law partner is sponsored from inside Canada, they can apply for an open work permit by completing an Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Worker (IMM 5553). This application must be sent before their status expires in the same envelope as the sponsorship application. This will allow them to keep a legal status in Canada up until the time their application for permanent residence is *approved in principle.
If their status expires before the application for permanent residence is approved in principle, they will still have a legal status in Canada. This is called implied status. Please note that the open work permit will only be issued once the application for permanent residence is approved in principle. Visit our Web site to see how long it may take to get approval in principle.
If the sponsored person did not send an open work permit application with their permanent residence application, they can send it, by mail, at any time while it is in process by writing Open Work Permit - Application for permanent residence in Canada - Spouse or common-law partner on the top of the form. They should also include proof that the permanent residence application was submitted. The open work permit application cannot be submitted online.
Please note that they must keep a legal status in Canada during the entire process of their application for permanent residence.
*Approved in principle means that the person being sponsored received a letter from the Case Processing Centre or local office stating that they meet the eligibility (minimum) requirements to apply for permanent resident status but that a final decision will not be made until all requirements for becoming a permanent resident have been met. These requirements include medical, security and background checks for the applicant and, if applicable, their family members.
So my IEC visa ran out a few days before we sent out PR and OWP off to Vegreville. They didn't receive it until a couple days later after it was expired. The same day we sent the PR app off we extended my stay online and we got a confirmation they received it only an hour after. So I assumed I was on implied status after that. When the visitor record finally came through I was only given until August 9th 2013 - I didn't extend it again since I assume the OWP gives me implied status, right?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
mimi263 said:
Ok just to clarify... Because we have NOT received AIP as yet my husband will need to send in his OWP by mail and NOT online?

His OWP expires October, what happens if we do not receive the renewal in time?

Another question, I thougt because we have the spousal sponsorship paper work sent in to CIC that gives my husband "implied status", so whether his work permit is current or not that should still keep his
status as "implied"... Am I correct?

Ahhhh this thing is soooo confusing
From what I am given to understand, because he currently has an OWP, and he has sent in his renewal already, he is on implied status until they make a decision on his renewal application. Right now, his OWP is independent from your sponsorship because he had OWP before you sent in for sponsorship, or at least that is the way I understood what you wrote here.

Anyway, the point is, he is implied until he receives a response on his renewal OWP, so he is fine. No worries. :D

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Line.a said:
So my IEC visa ran out a few days before we sent out PR and OWP off to Vegreville. They didn't receive it until a couple days later after it was expired. The same day we sent the PR app off we extended my stay online and we got a confirmation they received it only an hour after. So I assumed I was on implied status after that. When the visitor record finally came through I was only given until August 9th 2013 - I didn't extend it again since I assume the OWP gives me implied status, right?
Yes, because you sent in your OWP with your sponsorship paperwork, you are on implied status until they make a decision on your OWP application.

Line.a

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2010
Denmark
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-13
AOR Received.
27-02-13
Med's Request
08-02-14
Med's Done....
15-03-14
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
Waived!
VISA ISSUED...
OWP: 25-02-14
LANDED..........
23-07-14
Alurra71 said:
Yes, because you sent in your OWP with your sponsorship paperwork, you are on implied status until they make a decision on your OWP application.
Okay that's good to hear. Thank you :)

Slowe

Aug 10, 2013
Slowe said:
HI GUYS,

I GOT AN EMAIL TODAY!!! IT IS A DM, I CANT BELIEVE THEY ARE WORKING ON SAT!!!!!

SO HAPPY!!! BSST LUCK!!! ;D

MY TIMELINE IS JUNE 19, AOP OCT 19, AIP DEC 13, DM AUG 10, I SENT MY MED ON JAN 9 2013
I have my landing date "August 29th" :p :p

I have a question, on the letter says I have to bring " ALL MY IMMIGRATION DOCUMENTS" what's that mean?
Is that mean I have to bring all my immigration forms with me?

Thanks!!!

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Slowe said:
I have my landing date "August 29th" :p :p

I have a question, on the letter says I have to bring " ALL MY IMMIGRATION DOCUMENTS" what's that mean?
Is that mean I have to bring all my immigration forms with me?
Thanks!!!
When they say immigration documents, they are referring to all documents issued by CIC. ie: visitor record, OWP, Work Permit, any visa extensions given. They are CIC's property. So they do have a right to ask for them when asked. However they can take it back to destroy them or leave them with you intact. It is their decision to make. In my wife's case, she brought her original visitor record when she entered Canada and her visitor's record extension. They looked at them and gave it back to her. Since these documents had an expiration date despite becoming invalid, they didn't care if she kept them or not. If she had OWP, they probably would take it back as PR are not allowed to have OWP.

Screech339

Slowe

Aug 10, 2013
screech339 said:
When they say immigration documents, they are referring to all documents issued by CIC. ie: visitor record, OWP, Work Permit, any visa extensions given. They are CIC's property. So they do have a right to ask for them when asked. However they can take it back to destroy them or leave them with you intact. It is their decision to make. In my wife's case, she brought her original visitor record when she entered Canada and her visitor's record extension. They looked at them and gave it back to her. Since these documents had an expiration date despite becoming invalid, they didn't care if she kept them or not. If she had OWP, they probably would take it back as PR are not allowed to have OWP.

Screech339
Thank you so much Screech339!!!

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Slowe said:
Thank you so much Screech339!!!
BTW: congrats Slowe on getting your landing date of August 29th.

Timesheets are updated.

Screech339

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
Congrats to those with landing dates, and any others who have seen movement!

Yet another trip to the mailbox for me with nothing to show for it. But the husband and I are having some fun in the meantime, and getting to the gym, and I'm working on my French. Each day is another closer to AIP, and to PR!

terki

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2012
FLORIDA - MIAMI
LANDED..........
DUAL-CITIZEN - USA/CANADA
screech339 said:

Screech339
thanks Screech for always informative posts.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
terki said:
thanks Screech for always informative posts.
You're welcome terki and Slowe.

Screech339