Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
jiggyzealous said:
@ computergeek I know that the local office does the finalization for the landing interview.I was referring to second stage for the medical and criminal checks. Are these also done at the local office or Vegreville?
Generally Vegreville, but if there is special handling required they transfer to a local office - and it takes longer.

darwinwap

Jun 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-08-2012
AOR Received.
15-11-2012, AIP - February 3, 2013
Med's Done....
May 2012
iav12 said:
Hi guys
I have a question about BC driver's license. Is it possible to get a DL with just AIP ? I went to my local ICBC to find out if i am eligible to get a license and they said i have to have PR or landing paper or work permit ...Is it true??I just applied OWP after the AIP. I think, i read on thread somewhere that people are getting license on AIP. I also have a license from U.S.
I hope somebody know more about this..computergeek ?
Thanks
Once you get your open work permit thats the time you can get SIN (with expiration date) , drivers license and health card.

iav12

Star Member
Nov 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks darwin
I am able to get a care card,They accepted it with AIP but only driver's license I want so I can drive.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
iav12 said:
I am able to get a care card,They accepted it with AIP but only driver's license I want so I can drive.
I know it doesn't matter for you now, but BC will give you a care card (as your spouse's dependent) as long as you have an application in process.

http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/pdf/covering-a-spouse-or-child-who-is-an-applicant-for-permanent-resident-status-in-canada.pdf

People like to say "you have to have AIP to get health care" but this is true of Ontario. Other provinces offer coverage similar to BC, Alberta being the most generous, but the language for BC, AB, SK, NS and PEI is basically the same: the spouse of an eligible resident are eligible provided they are living with their spouse/sponsor. The documentation listed in the BC document is the best list I've seen of what documents demonstrate this fact.

Ontario interprets their own rules narrowly - requiring that the applicant have a document from CIC indicating they are eligible for permanent residency. I've heard people running into problems using the e-mail versions of AIP that CIC is now starting to send. The good news is that I've heard several people say that if they appealed a refusal because their AIP letter was an e-mail they've won the appeal.

ichbinella

Star Member
Dec 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
Veg
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-02-2012
Doc's Request.
29-09-2012
AOR Received.
15-06-2012 (AIP+OWP:06-12-2012)
Med's Request
29-09-2012
Med's Done....
06-11-2012 (appeared on ECAS:22-11-2012)
Interview........
NO INTERVIEW
Passport Req..
NO
VISA ISSUED...
June/july2013
LANDED..........
15aug2013,pr card received:15oct2013
iav12 said:
Hi guys
I have a question about BC driver's license. Is it possible to get a DL with just AIP ? I went to my local ICBC to find out if i am eligible to get a license and they said i have to have PR or landing paper or work permit ...Is it true??I just applied OWP after the AIP. I think, i read on thread somewhere that people are getting license on AIP. I also have a license from U.S.
I hope somebody know more about this..computergeek ?
Thanks
i am also in BC (Vancouver), maybe i can share my experience with you. I passed my driving exam here in AUg 2012, at that time my work permit expired in late Aug 2012, so they didnt give me a license , or i should say they just offer a yellow paper as interim license becos ICBC said my work permit is not valid for more than 6 months.

As that yellow paper was only good for 3 months, I approached ICBC when it expires, again without AIP yet, ICBC just offers me another yellow paper for another 2 months and told me to go back to renew every 2 months. Then later I got AIP + OWP in December, and approached ICBC in January 2013, the person at the counter offered me a license valid till my OWP expires. but surprisingly, after 2 weeks when ICBC mailed me the driver license, they offer a 2 year validity :)

sounion

Oct 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-11-2012
AOR Received.
17-01-2013
Med's Done....
24-10-2012
Interview........
20-11-2013
LANDED..........
20-11-2013
anyone know if this would be the same fpor a Manitoba license?

sarakhans

Star Member
Jan 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-04-2012
AOR Received.
08-08-2012
File Transfer...
(AIP) 11-10-2012
Med's Done....
22-03-2012
LANDED..........
(DM) 15-04-2013
We are in New Brunswick, and the rules here are pretty easy as well.

Any non resident can get a driver's license even if you do not have AIP/Application in process provided that you surrender your own country's license in and pass the road test.

"Non-Residents (From Other Countries)

Non-residents from other countries must take a full driver licence examination which includes a road test, vision test, and written examination. Exceptions are those from the following European countries who may exchange for a Class 5 (including a motorcycle endorsement without testing, if applicable) or a class 6 or 6D."

Documentation:

A non-resident from any foreign country (outside of North America and including those above) must provide the following documentation:
- Their original driver's licence
- An English translation of the driver’s licence (from a translation agency or an International Driver’s Licence)
- Original passport

As for medicare, we just had to submit the Work Permit in, and you are covered for the duration of your work permit. We also submitted the AIP letter along with the application for medicare. SIN had the same expiration as the work permit...

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
ichbinella said:
As that yellow paper was only good for 3 months, I approached ICBC when it expires, again without AIP yet, ICBC just offers me another yellow paper for another 2 months and told me to go back to renew every 2 months. Then later I got AIP + OWP in December, and approached ICBC in January 2013, the person at the counter offered me a license valid till my OWP expires. but surprisingly, after 2 weeks when ICBC mailed me the driver license, they offer a 2 year validity :)
That's consistent with my experience - I renewed my licence one year ago, with my work permit expiring in September 2012. My renewal licence was issued for five years. Next time I renew it (4 years) I can show them my PR card or maybe even my passport. lol

downwinder

Feb 9, 2013
hello.... does anyone know what is the processing time that applies to renew a non-expired open work permit? Is it 56 days or 18 days for online applications??

iav12

Star Member
Nov 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ichbinella said:
i am also in BC (Vancouver), maybe i can share my experience with you. I passed my driving exam here in AUg 2012, at that time my work permit expired in late Aug 2012, so they didnt give me a license , or i should say they just offer a yellow paper as interim license becos ICBC said my work permit is not valid for more than 6 months.

Funny thing is I spoke to BC driver's license head office in Victoria regarding my eligibility to get a license and according to them I can get a driver's license on AIP .I called two different days and speak to different people. They said they want some kind of immigration documents stating my name and file number but that will be paper license..Permanent license will be issued either after work permit or PR..
But a local ICBC they won't just take AIP..I have no idea why head office is fine with it and local office not...really weird !!!!
Anyway I'll go again after I get my OWP.

wolanila

Jun 8, 2011
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
iav12 said:
Funny thing is I spoke to BC driver's license head office in Victoria regarding my eligibility to get a license and according to them I can get a driver's license on AIP .I called two different days and speak to different people. They said they want some kind of immigration documents stating my name and file number but that will be paper license..Permanent license will be issued either after work permit or PR..
But a local ICBC they won't just take AIP..I have no idea why head office is fine with it and local office not...really weird !!!!
Anyway I'll go again after I get my OWP.
I think a lot of people have a similar problem with this in getting a health card as well. Maybe local office just is not aware of the protocol. The same thing happened to us, we were told we could get a license with AIP and then when we went to get a learners we were told we need a PR card or work permit. When we went to a different issuer the AIP was fine. This also happened to us when we tried to get a health card. It took asking some higher authorities with in Sask health to investigate it. I would get Head office to contact your local office for you or ask for a letter that explains to them how to process your license with AIP.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Something to remember is that you generally have the right to appeal a negative decision - so if they say "no" ask "thanks, but this doesn't agree with what I've been told. Please tell me about my appeal rights." You don't have to be rude, but you can be insistent - the ability to appeal a negative decision is an important part of procedural fairness.

nairaboy

Star Member
Oct 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-12-2012
Doc's Request.
17-01-2013
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Request
09-03-2015
Med's Done....
06-03-2013
Interview........
10-06-2015
Hi guys, I just want to know if I need to be worried or not...pls anybody in the same situation. The online status shows application received 17th Dec both under the sponsor and pr applications, I just want to know wht timeline is it for it to show in process or if I need to be worried? He'll guys!

darwinwap

Jun 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-08-2012
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
May 2012
nairaboy said:
Hi guys, I just want to know if I need to be worried or not...pls anybody in the same situation. The online status shows application received 17th Dec both under the sponsor and pr applications, I just want to know wht timeline is it for it to show in process or if I need to be worried? He'll guys!
E-cas is unreliable, you don't have to worry about anything, its a good sign that your application says received so by June 17 you should be receving the AIP email. I wouldn't worry too much about E-cas or not hearing from them till June 17. No news is good news.

darwinwap

Jun 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-08-2012
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
May 2012
computergeek said:
Note: you will not "send" your passport to CIC. You will "bring" it with you to your landing interview. Note this is specific to the inland process.
My friend had a passport request after AIP, not mentioning photocopy so he will send the original once he gets it, He lost his passport and had to get a new one. We both have no idea why, this is inland application.