+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland Application Questions about TRV and Addresses

LoveIt

Nov 5, 2019
Hi everyone,

Thank you for contributing this amazing forum - it's super helpful!!

I'm currently applying to be sponsored by my wife inland. We were married last April.

About me: I have a multi entry TRV which is valid until March 2021 and currently living with my spouse (we have a rental in Canada under both of our names since 2016). I'm also applying for OWP.

A few questions about the forms:

1) As I'm self employed and can work distantly, I visit her periodically in the last 3 years and I don't stay for any period longer than 6 months as law requires. Currently, I have 3 months left before I have to leave and re-enter. Should I exit before applying or should I leave in 3 months and re-enter (with her)?

2) In IMM 0008enu - Question 10 says - Current country residence - Should I write Canada as I'm currently in Canada? "From" and "to" indicates the time I last enter Canada and 6 months from that time or should I put the date which my TRV is valid until?

3) In IMM 5669, there is a section for addresses. As a last address, should I put the current apartment we live in Canada although I'm not a resident here? If so, should the starting date be the last time i entered (3 months ago) or back in 2016 when we rented the place?

4) My current passport is valid until April 3, 2021. If I am issued a PR visa, is it issued into my passport or will a physical card be given? Is it fine for me to renew my passport after the PR visa is issued so that I have the sticker in my new passport?

I appreciate your answers in advance!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If you're applying inland (since you're applying for an OWP) you should not be leaving the country once you've applied. The program requires you to actually be "in Canada" as part of its eligibility. Leaving could lead to either refused re-admission OR a refusal based on not being in Canada, if you're gone for too long.

I guess that's sort of my answer to 1.

2. From would be from when you last entered Canada, "to" would most likely be the date you sign the form.

3. If you are applying from within Canada, you must be "living" in Canada so you need to put that address in. The "From" should be the date you started living there.

4. If you are applying inland, you may not get an IM-1 visa. You will instead be invited to a landing appointment and given your COPR there, and asked to apply for a PR card.

It seems you may be a little bit confused about the inland application - if you're applying inland, you more or less have to stop "occasionally" visiting her and stay in Canada until the PR application is processed. If you plan on still leaving and re-entering frequently, you should apply outland. Outland applications are not eligible for work permits.

LoveIt

Nov 5, 2019
If you're applying inland (since you're applying for an OWP) you should not be leaving the country once you've applied. The program requires you to actually be "in Canada" as part of its eligibility. Leaving could lead to either refused re-admission OR a refusal based on not being in Canada, if you're gone for too long.

I guess that's sort of my answer to 1.

2. From would be from when you last entered Canada, "to" would most likely be the date you sign the form.

3. If you are applying from within Canada, you must be "living" in Canada so you need to put that address in. The "From" should be the date you started living there.

4. If you are applying inland, you may not get an IM-1 visa. You will instead be invited to a landing appointment and given your COPR there, and asked to apply for a PR card.

It seems you may be a little bit confused about the inland application - if you're applying inland, you more or less have to stop "occasionally" visiting her and stay in Canada until the PR application is processed. If you plan on still leaving and re-entering frequently, you should apply outland. Outland applications are not eligible for work permits.
Thank you for your detailed reply!

1. I was actually thinking to go to US for 2 weeks with my wife. I guess in this case, it's better to go before I send my papers.

2. Got it - thanks!

3. Ok so although current country of residence date on IMM 0008enu starts from the last entry to Canada, on IMM 5669 date for my current address would start from the time we rented this place (and I started living there in parts) 3 years ago?

4. I didn't know about the PR card - that's good to know.

All of this is a bit confusing but as long as I could get an OWP soon, I would like to just stay here and do my work from here so less travel the better:)