+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland application help

CB1995

Star Member
Jun 26, 2016
Another question! My wife is a university student and she works part time too. I read that she will have to provide a bank statement from the past 12 months which I'm assuming is so they know if she can afford to keep me as well as herself while I'm there. Is there a specific amount she needs in her account or does she have to earn any specific amount to be eligible to sponsor me?

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
CB1995 said:
Another question! My wife is a university student and she works part time too. I read that she will have to provide a bank statement from the past 12 months which I'm assuming is so they know if she can afford to keep me as well as herself while I'm there. Is there a specific amount she needs in her account or does she have to earn any specific amount to be eligible to sponsor me?
If it is just the two of you, then the financials are exempt. She will need to prove that she is not in receipt of social assistance, and a viable plan to support you both without the need of social assistance.

CB1995

Star Member
Jun 26, 2016
The only assistance she gets is her student loans. Would that be okay or is it classed as social assistance as it is provided by the government? How can she prove that she could afford to support us?

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
CB1995 said:
The only assistance she gets is her student loans. Would that be okay or is it classed as social assistance as it is provided by the government? How can she prove that she could afford to support us?
Loans are loans -- to be paid back (and generally accrue interest).

Is she living in Canada, or in Britain? Really it will boil down to what's the plan for you two to live in Canada without needing assistance. Living with her folks (or other relatives) could be a viable plan for example. Keeping in mind, that you won't be able to work until they issue an OWP (which takes ~4mos from the date you submit the application package). If she is in Canada, she has to show Notices of Assessment from CRA (or Option C's available from CRA). If she is not in Canada, or has non-resident status (CRA), then she can come up with a written plan for re-settlement and to support you both (eventually with your income included -- but keep in mind the ~4mos that you cannot work).

CB1995

Star Member
Jun 26, 2016
She lives in Canada and has done since birth. She currently lives in a rented apartment. That is also where we plan to stay for the duration of my visit. As it will just be me and her we are exempt as you say.
Am I actually allowed to tell the border agent I am just visiting my wife even though I plan to stay there and apply for the PR. As I can't "live" with her until I get the PR does this mean I would just be "visiting" for a long time?
Would I be required to apply for extensions every 6 months once I finally apply?

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
CB1995 said:
She lives in Canada and has done since birth. She currently lives in a rented apartment. That is also where we plan to stay for the duration of my visit. As it will just be me and her we are exempt as you say.
Am I actually allowed to tell the border agent I am just visiting my wife even though I plan to stay there and apply for the PR. As I can't "live" with her until I get the PR does this mean I would just be "visiting" for a long time?
Would I be required to apply for extensions every 6 months once I finally apply?
Yup visiting is the correct term (as you cannot "live" until you have landed as a PR, right?).

Then it's easy for her. Just submit the Notices of Assessment (or Option C) for the last 12 months before you file. If you are actually filing inland, spend the extra $255 and file for the Open Work Permit that is available. That comes in ~4mos and gives you "Worker" status in Canada (so no, you do not have to request extensions). If you come with a passport that has more than 2 years validity, they will issue the OWP for 2 years..

CB1995

Star Member
Jun 26, 2016
I cannot thank you enough for the help you have given me so far. I really appreciate it!
When I go to Canada should I have a return ticket for a specific time such as 1 month after landing or is there a time you'd recommend?
I will have no ties to home by the time I get to Canada so if they were to ask if I plan to go home should I tell them I do not? I understand I have to be truthful with them but i feel this could work against me in my efforts to enter the country.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
CB1995 said:
I cannot thank you enough for the help you have given me so far. I really appreciate it!
When I go to Canada should I have a return ticket for a specific time such as 1 month after landing or is there a time you'd recommend?
I will have no ties to home by the time I get to Canada so if they were to ask if I plan to go home should I tell them I do not? I understand I have to be truthful with them but i feel this could work against me in my efforts to enter the country.
Don't mention it..

When my wife came last time, she literally had no return ticket either. They asked who would get that for her, and that was enough. And she is from Russia (not GB), so imagine what they felt about that! :).

That said, you can get one for maybe 3 or 6 months (they will grant you 6 months at the border probably). You could time it with when you expect to send the application in. Then you know for sure you will still be in Canada when you send it (and just cancel the ticket).

CB1995

Star Member
Jun 26, 2016
I thought me being there for 3 months would've looked suspicious because not many people manage to get an entire 3 months holiday from work but I will take your advice. If the border agent doesn't tell me how long I can stay for does that mean I get the 6 months automatically? The reason I ask is because the past 3times I've been to Canada they didnt tell me how long I could stay.
At what point in the application would I need a police check, and would I have to be in England to get it? I have only lived in England for over 6 months.
At what point would I need my medical exam, and is it better to do that in England or Canada?

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
CB1995 said:
I thought me being there for 3 months would've looked suspicious because not many people manage to get an entire 3 months holiday from work but I will take your advice. If the border agent doesn't tell me how long I can stay for does that mean I get the 6 months automatically? The reason I ask is because the past 3times I've been to Canada they didnt tell me how long I could stay.
For Brits it's 6 months unless otherwise stated. It's normal for a husband/wife to visit for longer periods. 3 months, 6 months, not uncommon.

CB1995 said:
At what point in the application would I need a police check, and would I have to be in England to get it? I have only lived in England for over 6 months.
As soon as you arrive in Canada, order one. Here is where CIC suggests to get it from: https://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx . You cannot have been in the country after it was issued for it to remain valid (and they do have a shelf life -- 6 months or something?).

CB1995 said:
At what point would I need my medical exam, and is it better to do that in England or Canada?
They will request one, or you can do it upfront and provide the eMedical with your package. If you do that, there is a small possibility that they won't accept it before it's 1 year shelf life expires. It's a small risk, and they can choose to extend or to request a partial medical in this case. Personal choice here. My wife did hers upfront, and they did accept the results as passed before it expired.

It will be your preference. Get your wife to contact the CIC Panel Physician nearby to get a quote on how much to complete the medical. In our case it was 1/3 the price here in Canada than in Moscow.