No interview
Passport Req..
27-04-2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sooooon
LANDED..........
Sooooon
missha said:
For those who are getting Ready For Interview ( Recent Interview of luckjinx from Inland 2010 Forum)

I don't mind sharing at all, I think it would of been extremely useful to know some of this information before attending the interview.
Firstly, It isn't as intimidating as some people think it is ( we were one of those). The immigration officer doing our interview was very pleasant/kind but she was down to the point and definitly did her job.

What initially happens is, she will call both the sponsor and applicant in the room together.She will verify your names , birthdates. She will ask you for the documents she would of requested in the letter she sent out with your interview times ie. bank statements/tax returns/pictures/emails etc etc....
She will briefly go through those asking a few questions here and there about them if she chooses.
Then she tells one of you to leave the room while she interviews the other. ( usually the person who is interviewed first is the applicant because they need to verify some things that were redflags/faulty ). That took about 1.5hrs. Then, she will interview the sponsor, which took about 30 mins (in our case anyway).

So that's how it kinda happens..... As for the questions :

- What is some type of landmark that is located near were you live? (ex. a mural on a wall, a big fountain, a shopping center)
- What are some of your spouses hobbies?
- What did you do together this weekend?
- What did you have for dinner last night?
- Do you know some history on your spouse?( why did they come to Canada , how did they come to canada , if they are inland)
- Where did your spouse go to school?
- How did you first meet? (this was important... it seems simple but apparently is a big question for em)
- Who takes care of the finances in the home?
- Who cooks?
- How much is each of your bills roughly... example: Hydro /telus/shaw/rent/insurance ....
Ohh, another thing is know all your timelines!!!! Very important. Whether its travelling back and forth, certain events that both affected you....they will ask the question and sometimes re ask in a different way to see if you slip up or something....

"Those are a few questions that stick out in my mind. It was very laid back and is just easy if you are a legitimate couple. Mind you we did not answer them all the same or correct some times. But they overall have to have a feeling that you are an actual couple.

At the very end , when she finished my interview, she said that "I will mail a letter to you with a decision being made and that she will approve our application"
We were sooooooooo happy.
I know this is long, but I feel like If i had someone write this out in detail before my interview i would of been calm and prepared.
I hope this helps someone in the future!
T

Thank you so much that was very helpful. Was there like any detailed personal questions though ?
We're really stressed out about the interview.. So we wanna know all the details

tinch

Nov 9, 2011
Hi everyone!

Haven't been here for a while.. mainly because there hasn't been a lot of progress on the CIC website. Frustrating!!

Yesterday we got a letter from CIC for my husband confirming our application. I don't know why they send it now..? At least I know when they started processing my application as it never came up in my ecas!
For the chart:

We received your application to sponsor "tinch" on July 25, 2011.
We started processing your application on September 12, 2011.

Stay strong and patient!!

vinlander

Dec 11, 2011
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2011
Doc's Request.
21-02-2012
AOR Received.
21-02-2012
Med's Request
Done before request
Med's Done....
25-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012 OWP + AIP
LANDED..........
27-11-2012
Hello,

My wife entered Canada 1st of September and use an international driving license issued from Germany.
According to Quebec SAAQ, she can use it for 6 months and then usually has to ask for the Quebec one.
The problem is that on a visitor or "implied status" as we have, that doesn't work; no way SAAQ can be aware we are "officially" in immigration process.
To add to the problem, our insurance company will stop insurring her 1st of March as they already extended up to 6 months.
Anyone knows what to do in that case ?
I really don't want she stop driving the car :(

thank you

heyhey1

Jan 13, 2012
Nanaimo
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 7, 2011
AOR Received.
March 16, 2011
Med's Done....
Dec 8, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
AIP: Feb 11th, 2012
TU160 said:
Hi wery, dorina, tzing, Heyhey1!

Do you have any news, guys?
Nope, not a word :-[

heyhey1

Jan 13, 2012
Nanaimo
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 7, 2011
AOR Received.
March 16, 2011
Med's Done....
Dec 8, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
vinlander said:
Hello,

My wife entered Canada 1st of September and use an international driving license issued from Germany.
According to Quebec SAAQ, she can use it for 6 months and then usually has to ask for the Quebec one.
The problem is that on a visitor or "implied status" as we have, that doesn't work; no way SAAQ can be aware we are "officially" in immigration process.
To add to the problem, our insurance company will stop insurring her 1st of March as they already extended up to 6 months.
Anyone knows what to do in that case ?
I really don't want she stop driving the car :(

thank you
I had that same problem, but when I applied for a visitor extention for the second time, they extended it for 2 years. I had to have my driving record sent to licence branch. In order to get a licence you have to prove you are able to be in counrty for over a six month period. The licence will only be good for as long as your stay. I would see if they can extend your visitor staus for a period long enough untill your aplication is approved..

canadiancitizen

Feb 3, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 10-2011
Doc's Request.
July 8, 2011
Med's Done....
April-26-2011
LANDED..........
10-04-2012
heyhey1 said:
I had that same problem, but when I applied for a visitor extention for the second time, they extended it for 2 years. I had to have my driving record sent to licence branch. In order to get a licence you have to prove you are able to be in counrty for over a six month period. The licence will only be good for as long as your stay. I would see if they can extend your visitor staus for a period long enough untill your aplication is approved..
Hello HeyHey (I like your name)... My husband is in the same situation, and we are in Quebec also... would you kindly please explain again about "licence branch (Qc, Ontario, ?) ... "they extended it for 2 years?.. my husband visited SAAQ and they told him that they cannot issue a driving license without PR... his international driving license will end in 2 weeks... help! :'(

TU160

Star Member
Nov 30, 2011
canadiancitizen said:
Hello HeyHey (I like your name)... My husband is in the same situation, and we are in Quebec also... would you kindly please explain again about "licence branch (Qc, Ontario, ?) ... "they extended it for 2 years?.. my husband visited SAAQ and they told him that they cannot issue a driving license without PR... his international driving license will end in 2 weeks... help! :'(
I've heard the same... SAAQ can't exchange a driving liciense without PR or work permit.

heyhey1

Jan 13, 2012
Nanaimo
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 7, 2011
AOR Received.
March 16, 2011
Med's Done....
Dec 8, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
canadiancitizen said:
Basicaly when I first moved here with my partner my Passport, and American licence was good for 6 months. Then we had to file a visitor extention to remain in Canada. When we were approved the extention was only good for another 6 months. I went down to get a BC licence, but they would only issue a temp licence because my visitor extention was only valid for 6 months. they will only issue a BC licence if your valid to stay for 12 months. So we applied for another visitor extention a month before it expired and explained we are going to apply for PR as common law. When they (CIC) sent back the 2nd extention it was valid for 2 years. So I took that to BC licence branch and had to have my driving record from the states sent to the BC branch. I then recived a BC licence..I know its very frustrating...I cussed several times...lol
Hope this helps..

heyhey1

Jan 13, 2012
Nanaimo
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 7, 2011
AOR Received.
March 16, 2011
Med's Done....
Dec 8, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Im not real sure about Quebec laws about obtaining a licence, but it says on their site http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/driver_licence/exchange/temporary_residents.php That you still can drive on a county of origin licence...but on the bottom it says "If you decide to settle in Québec, you are allowed to continue driving with your permit for the 6 months following your settlement. After this period, you are required to hold a Québec driver's licence issued by the Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec if you wish to keep your driving privileges."

I wish I could be more help, :-[

CheshireCats

Star Member
Jan 22, 2012
Sarnia Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-01-2012
AOR Received.
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
12-05-2014
Med's Done....
01-11-2013 & 03-06-2016
I am not sure about Quebec, but my husband drove with his Australian license for 3 years in Ontario...then he got pulled over. The cops that pulled him over had no clue what to do (they actually looked at his license, ran it through and told him his 'international license' was good) then recommended he have it switched to an Ontario license within 6 months...he was able to do that in a matter of 24 hours...he was out of status at the time all that happened :p