+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland applicant...lost passport

Mr. Cool

Aug 6, 2018
So, here's a bad situation. I applied to sponsor my wife inland. She's from a visa waiver country, so came to Canada on an ETA.

We applied for sponsorship earlier this year, along with an application for an open work permit. She has passed the medical check. However, they still haven't started processing the work permit (it is linked to our gckey). She's still in Canada with valid visitor status.

The bad thing is, my wife's passport has gone missing, and we think she will need to get a new one. Getting a passport is not a problem, but I am wondering how this will affect her application. I tried calling CIC and couldn't actually get through to an agent. :(

I'm guessing we need to file a police report, apply for a new passport, then contact CIC and update them with the new passport details? My concern though is that her new passport won't have any stamp and we no longer will have a record of her arrival... also, what if CIC tries to look up her passport in the limbo period while we're waiting for the new one.

Anyone have experience like this?

meghdee

Star Member
May 1, 2019
Hello @Mr. Cool. What happened with your wife's application/new passport? My husband has a pending work permit in process right now, but needs to get a new passport with my name on it so that I can get a new Indian visa. We were going to apply for a re-issue of the passport, but not sure how CIC will process the work permit now. Will it be a problem?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello @Mr. Cool. What happened with your wife's application/new passport? My husband has a pending work permit in process right now, but needs to get a new passport with my name on it so that I can get a new Indian visa. We were going to apply for a re-issue of the passport, but not sure how CIC will process the work permit now. Will it be a problem?
Not an issue. Just update IRCC with the new passport.

Reactions: meghdee