+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Initial PR card - pick up notification.

OrangeCounty

Star Member
Dec 24, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In what situations does CIC request applicant to pick up PR card?

As per the following link, the "initial" PR card also needs pick up from CIC center. This sounds confusing, when definitely we know that the PR card is mailed to address provided at the time of landing. Not sure what "initial" means in the context of the "Application Process" flow-chart.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/inFORMation/applications/guides/5445E3.asp

Also, at the time of landing if we provide PO box address, how does CIC know that it is a mail box or commercial address?

I plan to use this address (mail forwarding service)

1425 Marine Drive, #207
West Vancouver, BC
Canada V7T 1B9

Anyone had success receiving PR cards through mailbox?

Thank You
OrangeCounty

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Initial PR cards will be mailed and will not need to be picked up.

Addresses with # are always mailboxes. At least that's the way it works in the U.S.A.

ankit_20

VIP Member
Dec 7, 2009
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You will get your card via mail. Please see the link below
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/pr-card/pr-card-faq05.asp

I am not sure about second part of your question.

OrangeCounty

Star Member
Dec 24, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What if I mention it as Apt.# ?

Since commercial mailbox option looks dicey, I am thinking of providing a friends address in the Atlantic region. Will this east coast address create problems when I land in Vancouver? Should I mention address as C/o (Care of Mr.XXX)? Should my friend mention our names in his mailbox? (because in US, if we don't mention our names inside our apartment mailbox US postman doesn't deliver the mail).

Sorry about the minute details. Just want to be sure of the PR card reaching safely ...

Thank You all so much!

Best Regards
OrangeCounty

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The officer may or may not ask why you are landing in Vancouver if you live on the east coast. In that case it would be on you to answer him correctly. Lying to immigration can cause lots of problems...

Our names are not mentioned on our apartment mailbox and we both get mail without problems here.

A

Ali Franklin

The reason that they call it an "initial" PR card is because they are only valid for a period of 5 years during which time you may qualify and apply for Citizenship (after 3 years of residence) or renew your card when it is about to expire or has expired.

The "initial" card is sent to the mailing address that you provide by mail but if you apply to renew/replace a lost card you will be asked to pick up the new card in person at the nearest Citizenship and Immigration office. Normal processing of your "initial" card is about 4-8 weeks.

The PR card is a great form of photo identification but it's main purpose is for travel. It allows you re-entry into Canada should you travel outside of Canada. It identifies you as a permanent resident of Canada.

The confirmation of permanent residence document which you receive upon entry into Canada is the immigration document that you must keep forever and does not expire. You will require this for Canadian Citizenship and to collect Canada Pension Plan when you retire.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
sometimes they ask a just-landed person to come to a nearest immigration office if they are not satisfied by a photo or some info provided in COPR, and this way you might require to pick up your PR card later in that office.

Tapak

Oct 13, 2007
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello All,

My application for Canadian PR has been approved under AINP program. I, along with my family, have received Immigrant visa stamped on my passport. We will landing soon in Calgary. Since, neither we have any friends in Alberta nor do we have any address at the time of arrival to provide for PR card, I wanted to know which of the following options is acceptable:

A. Provide address of my friend living in Ontario to receive our PR cards and SIN documents, OR
B. Provide postal address with Canadian PO box address to receive my PR cards.

I am sure most of us have been through this hurdle. Please advise which of the options above is acceptable or offer some other option. I would appreciate for any guidance from senior members. Please PM me if there is any reluctance to post reply in this open forum for personal reasons.

Thanks,

Tapak

OrangeCounty

Star Member
Dec 24, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Initial PR card - pick up notification. ( to PMM and other experts)

Could some expert, please confirm if the address in OP be used when landing? How does CIC know it is a commercial address? I am going to mention it as Apt# instead of PO Box number (mentioning Apt# instead of PO Box # fine with the person running this mail-forwarding service) Does the CIC envelope that contains PR card have any special instruction to Canada post to not deliver?

Thank You!
OrangeCounty

Reactions: delsie23

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I do not know what the PR card envelope looks like but generally the mail carriers in Canada do not know who lives in which apartment, they just deliver the mail to the address on the envelope. If you move, you need to tell the post office that you moved (which names) and they will put forwarding stickers on your mail to forward to your new address. Some envelopes are marked with "do not deliver if recipient has moved".

When you land and give an address, the IO will ask you if you will be staying at that address when the PR card arrives. If you say you will not be, they may decide to withhold your PR card until you have a fixed address you are staying at. You can also tell them that you do not have an address yet and how you should let them know when you do. I remember one woman said she was given a form to fill out and fax to CIC to let them know. You could also call them or change it online. I have heard that a PO box would be acceptable so you may ask about that when you land and once you are in Canada and have arranged your PO box, mail forwarding, whatever, you can inform CIC of your address.

OrangeCounty

Star Member
Dec 24, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you, Leon! I assume CIC mails it through ordinary post and does not require any signature when receiving?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OrangeCounty said:
Thank you, Leon! I assume CIC mails it through ordinary post and does not require any signature when receiving?
Yes, as far as I know that's what they do. Many people have given relatives addresses to receive their PR cards and haven't had a problem. It is only if the IO asks if you will be there when it arrives and you say no that they may refuse to send it there. Somebody who had that happen and was given a form to notify CIC of their address later actually notified CIC of the same relatives address that the IO had refused during landing and it was accepted.

Harry2500

Star Member
Nov 13, 2008
Leon said:
I do not know what the PR card envelope looks like but generally the mail carriers in Canada do not know who lives in which apartment, they just deliver the mail to the address on the envelope. If you move, you need to tell the post office that you moved (which names) and they will put forwarding stickers on your mail to forward to your new address. Some envelopes are marked with "do not deliver if recipient has moved".

When you land and give an address, the IO will ask you if you will be staying at that address when the PR card arrives. If you say you will not be, they may decide to withhold your PR card until you have a fixed address you are staying at. You can also tell them that you do not have an address yet and how you should let them know when you do. I remember one woman said she was given a form to fill out and fax to CIC to let them know. You could also call them or change it online. I have heard that a PO box would be acceptable so you may ask about that when you land and once you are in Canada and have arranged your PO box, mail forwarding, whatever, you can inform CIC of your address.
Hello , Can any one tell ,if I request to post office to forward the mail to the new address would it delay the PR process, I heard if we change the address during first few weeks that delays the PR card process

thanks

aks2010

Star Member
May 7, 2011
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi / Warsaw
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-09-2014; Lawyer/consultant hired?: No.; PER Received.: 07-01-2015
AOR Received.
03-02-2015
File Transfer...
22-04-2015
Med's Request
15-05-2015
Med's Done....
20-05-2015; Med's Results Rcvd: 26-05-2015;
Passport Req..
22-07-2015; Decision Made:25-07-2015; Passport Submitted: 27-07-2015
VISA ISSUED...
22-07-2015; Passport Returned: 31-07-2015
LANDED..........
08-10-2015;ECAS Status:Complete 31-10-2015
What is the size of the envelope that CIC sends the PR cards in? I need to know this in order to decide on the size of the mail box I am planning to hire. We are a family of 4. Do we all receive it in a single envelope or do we get it separately? Please share your experiences.

Reactions: suniljoseph12061977