03-2016
Doc's Request.
08-2016
Med's Request
08-2016
Med's Done....
08-2016
I got this question from one of my friend

Once a person obtains Canadian citizenship, he basically needs to cancel the other citizenship (if the origin country does not recognize dual citizenship). However who needs to inform the country origin that the person obtained Canadian citizenship.

Are we in person suppose to do it or will CIC inform?

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Canada will never do it -- you are a citizen of Canada, and what self-respecting country will report on their citizens to the government of another country (well, except to the United States)? As for you, that depends on you, the laws of the country you came from, and your conscience.

dnyfyn

Aug 31, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Colombo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-2016
Doc's Request.
08-2016
Med's Request
08-2016
Med's Done....
08-2016
Thank you very much. :)

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
I come from a country that does not recognize dual citizenship. Canada does not care how many citizenships one has.

It all depends on your country. Some countries are tough and crack down on individuals who have are dual citizens, some are not.

My country is very tough. Canadians need a valid visa to enter my country, so when you apply for a visa, they will know from my name that I was born in my country and they require a proof that I have renounced my country's citizenship. If I use my country's passport to travel to my country no issues on entry. However on exit, I will need to fly to countries where my country citizens do not require visas and buy separate tickets. Extra hassle. My country citizens need visa to enter Canada so it becomes complicated. We have exit border controls, so if I show my country passport on exit and say I am going to Canada, they won't allow to travel cos I will need a Canadian visa. If I show them Canadian passport, I will be caught.

Of course it is best to keep your country's passport if it won't create hassle and headaches like in my country's case. If it does, then I would give it up if not just keep it.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
Dejaavu said:
I come from a country that does not recognize dual citizenship. Canada does not care how many citizenships one has.

It all depends on your country. Some countries are tough and crack down on individuals who have are dual citizens, some are not.

My country is very tough. Canadians need a valid visa to enter my country, so when you apply for a visa, they will know from my name that I was born in my country and they require a proof that I have renounced my country's citizenship. If I use my country's passport to travel to my country no issues on entry. However on exit, I will need to fly to countries where my country citizens do not require visas and buy separate tickets. Extra hassle. My country citizens need visa to enter Canada so it becomes complicated. We have exit border controls, so if I show my country passport on exit and say I am going to Canada, they won't allow to travel cos I will need a Canadian visa. If I show them Canadian passport, I will be caught.

Of course it is best to keep your country's passport if it won't create hassle and headaches like in my country's case. If it does, then I would give it up if not just keep it.

What type pf problems it should create if you show your Canadian passport? My country does not recognize the dual citizenship as well, but as far as I know it's just the matter of recognition - i.e. I will not be considered Canadian if I decide to enter my country as my country citizen. But when I leave I can show Canadian passport as a proof of that I do not require visa to enter Canada.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
Suin,

That means your country is not very strict when it comes to dual citizenship. They do not enforce it as much.

In my country, if enter my country's passport and if you show them Canadian passport on exit. They will ask how you entered my country without a visa on a Canadian passport. Canadians need visa to enter my country. Then they will know that a person has two passports and they will detain and strip the person of my country's citizenship,fine them for entering my country on a invalid travel document and deport to Canada. In my country's constitution, if a citizen acquires another citizenship, she or he will automatically lose my country's citizenship.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
Fine for using invalid passport to enter my country that should have been revoked as soon as a person became a Canadian citizen and deportation to Canada.

prasprime

Dec 16, 2013
India
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
According to India, Only one Passport is valid. For Ex. If you got Citizen from any country and you got a new passport. You need to surrender the old passport to any nearest VFS or Indian Embassy office. If you failed to do that no problem. But if you travelling with the old one, you will be fined $800 dollar for every entry. So, it's better to surrender the old one.

Now if you want to travel to India. There are two ways,

1. Get a India Visa which is valid for 6 Months.

Or

2.Apply for OCR (Overseas Citizenship of India). Holding this card allows you to stay as long you want.

I hope the information, i have provided is useful .

Thank You.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
India has a smart system mostly because there are many Indians living all over the world.

Unfortunately that is not the case with my country Kazakhstan. My country got its independence in 1991 and a lot of rules related to migration/immigration/citizenship are still same and haven't changed from the Soviet Union era.

For example, if a Kazakh citizen acquires permanent residence in another country, he or she must get permission from the authorities in Kazakhstan to live in the new country of permanent residence. There is a list of documents (no debt, no objection from parents etc) that a citizen of Kazakhstan has to provide to ministry of migration. Once that permission is granted, the citizen's passport get stamped stating 'Permission granted to live permanently in Canada'; then one has to register in Kazakh embassy/consulate in Canada. There are of course fees associated with it.

If you do not get this permission and departing Kazakhstan for Canada, the exit border control will not allow you to leave the country. That is why some people buy separate tickets to Russia or Turkey where Kazakh citizens do not need visas and then fly from Turkey or Russia to Canada by showing the airlines their pr card to Canada. It is complicated.

As soon as a Kazakh citizen becomes a Canadian citizen, they have two options. Either keep their Kazakh passport and travel thru third countries using Kazakh passport on entry to Kazakhstan and using Kazakh passport when leaving Kazakhstan but going to visa free countries for Kazakh citizens and then showing Canadian passport when departing third country for Canada.

The second option which is headache free is to register 'loss of Kazakh citizenship' at the consulate or embassy by surrendering Kazakh passport, IDs, birth certificate and the consulate will issue a document that acts as a proof that renunciation of Kazakh citizenship has been registered. Then former Kazakh citizens can apply for a Kazakh visa to go to Kazakhstan. One of the conditions of the visa is to have a proof that there is no more Kazakh citizenship/passport.

I wish my country did the same thing as India by issuing a permanent resident card to its former citizens so my country people can go back and forth and live in Kazakhstan if they wanted... Too much Soviet bureaucracy. Not sure how long it will last.

dnyfyn

Aug 31, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Colombo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-2016
Doc's Request.
08-2016
Med's Request
08-2016
Med's Done....
08-2016
Thank you everybody. Really appreciate it. Seems like more into this topic. :) :)

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Suin said:
What type pf problems it should create if you show your Canadian passport? My country does not recognize the dual citizenship as well, but as far as I know it's just the matter of recognition - i.e. I will not be considered Canadian if I decide to enter my country as my country citizen. But when I leave I can show Canadian passport as a proof of that I do not require visa to enter Canada.
If you enter you have to show your country passport, they will stamp
when you leave how are you gonna show the stamp you got when entering to your country custom? That means you have to show your country passport not Canadian passport. That is when issue comes up.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
Yes. You will have to show the passport you entered with. And if you say you are going to Canada, the border officer will ask where the Canadian visa is since Kazakh nationals/citizens need a visa to enter Canada. Then they won't allow to board the plane.

If you show Canadian passport, they will ask where the visa is for Kazakhstan and entry stamp is. So a lot of headaches :)

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Dejaavu said:
*snip*

The second option which is headache free is to register 'loss of Kazakh citizenship' at the consulate or embassy by surrendering Kazakh passport, IDs, birth certificate and the consulate will issue a document that acts as a proof that renunciation of Kazakh citizenship has been registered. Then former Kazakh citizens can apply for a Kazakh visa to go to Kazakhstan. One of the conditions of the visa is to have a proof that there is no more Kazakh citizenship/passport. *snip*
They even strip you of your birth certificate? What happens if you ever have to show proof of that later on for something else? Sheesh! Talk about strict! You get citizenship in another country and we won't even let you acknowledge you were born! LOL

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
Yes they do, they are very strict. I am sure there are many countries like that. My country is not an exception. It is unfortunate that it is the case.