Information on Trade Schools

NeedleArtist

Star Member
Oct 9, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I originally posted the following yesterday in response to a query about what exactly Trade Schools are. I've noticed that questions similar to it pop up occasionally, so rather than bury my response on page 6 of a thread (with a title that has no direct relationship to trade schools), I'm reposting my response here in hopes that it may prove useful to others.

Trades are professions where practical knowledge is just as important (perhaps more so) than theoretical knowledge. Sometimes Trades are also known as Crafts. Examples of trades include Carpenters, Plumbers, Bakers, Welders, Machinists, Steel workers, Mechanics and Electricians. Schools that prepare students to become Tradesmen are known as Trade Schools . Tradesmen (and Tradeswomen) are in high demand and command attractive salaries and benefits. Historically, an individual desiring to enter a trade would work for a number of years with a fully qualified Tradesman. Some occupations still work in this way. For example, an aspiring Electrician can join the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW). For the first few years (usually 3 to 7, depending on the trade) that person works full time (37 to 40 hours per week) and also completes about 6 hours per week in classroom training. The training is conducted by the IBEW and there is usually no cost to the student, other than for books. At this stage the "student" is known as an Apprentice (while he/she completes the Apprenticeship) . While in the Apprenticeship, workers make competitive pay. Once fully trained and qualified, the Apprentice becomes a Journeyman. Finally, when a person has attained the pinnacle of skill and knowledge, he becomes a Master. The apprenticeship programs for other trades work in a similar manner.

Today, Trade Schools have become an alternative method of achieving the basic training and knowledge needed to become a Tradesman. Students enrolled in a training program at a trade school are apprentices. The training programs are not usually long enough for students to completely finish the Apprenticeship stage while in school, so they finish it (and become Journeymen) after they've worked in their profession with an employer for a few more years. Trade Schools are not designed to produce fully qualified Tradesmen, but rather to give them the basic skills and knowledge they need to be quite valuable in the labour market in their chosen trade. Upon graduating they are experienced enough to work in the field they've chosen, supervised by Journeymen and Masters, while they continue gaining additional knowledge and skills through hands-on real-life work experience.

canadamasters

Sep 3, 2012
NeedleArtist said:
I originally posted the following yesterday in response to a query about what exactly Trade Schools are. I've noticed that questions similar to it pop up occasionally, so rather than bury my response on page 6 of a thread (with a title that has no direct relationship to trade schools), I'm reposting my response here in hopes that it may prove useful to others.

Trades are professions where practical knowledge is just as important (perhaps more so) than theoretical knowledge. Sometimes Trades are also known as Crafts. Examples of trades include Carpenters, Plumbers, Bakers, Welders, Machinists, Steel workers, Mechanics and Electricians. Schools that prepare students to become Tradesmen are known as Trade Schools . Tradesmen (and Tradeswomen) are in high demand and command attractive salaries and benefits. Historically, an individual desiring to enter a trade would work for a number of years with a fully qualified Tradesman. Some occupations still work in this way. For example, an aspiring Electrician can join the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW). For the first few years (usually 3 to 7, depending on the trade) that person works full time (37 to 40 hours per week) and also completes about 6 hours per week in classroom training. The training is conducted by the IBEW and there is usually no cost to the student, other than for books. At this stage the "student" is known as an Apprentice (while he/she completes the Apprenticeship) . While in the Apprenticeship, workers make competitive pay. Once fully trained and qualified, the Apprentice becomes a Journeyman. Finally, when a person has attained the pinnacle of skill and knowledge, he becomes a Master. The apprenticeship programs for other trades work in a similar manner.

Today, Trade Schools have become an alternative method of achieving the basic training and knowledge needed to become a Tradesman. Students enrolled in a training program at a trade school are apprentices. The training programs are not usually long enough for students to completely finish the Apprenticeship stage while in school, so they finish it (and become Journeymen) after they've worked in their profession with an employer for a few more years. Trade Schools are not designed to produce fully qualified Tradesmen, but rather to give them the basic skills and knowledge they need to be quite valuable in the labour market in their chosen trade. Upon graduating they are experienced enough to work in the field they've chosen, supervised by Journeymen and Masters, while they continue gaining additional knowledge and skills through hands-on real-life work experience.
do college diplomas and PG diplomas etc come under trade school?

NeedleArtist

Star Member
Oct 9, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadamasters said:
do college diplomas and PG diplomas etc come under trade school?
Yes. Trade school programs are generally 2-year diploma programs (but NOT PG diplomas). A few programs are actually longer... 3 or 4 years.

canadamasters

Sep 3, 2012
NeedleArtist said:
Yes. Trade school programs are generally 2-year diploma programs (but NOT PG diplomas). A few programs are actually longer... 3 or 4 years.
so lot of individuals on this forum are applying to tradeschools after bachelors . Not a very wise choice for future career?
what is the career growth after trade school .

Lay_13591

Sep 2, 2012
Thank you very much for this information.I had no idea about Trade schools.Can you please name some of the Trade school which provide such courses and also I would like to ask that will I get PGWP after completing the Trade course?

NeedleArtist

Star Member
Oct 9, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadamasters said:
so lot of individuals on this forum are applying to tradeschools after bachelors . Not a very wise choice for future career?
what is the career growth after trade school .
Don't assume that everyone who comes to study in Canada has already completed post-secondary education. I personally know many students in Colleges and Trade Schools who only had a high school education before applying. As for whether or not trade schools are a wise career choice, here in Canada trades persons usually command much higher salaries straight out of school than do those with degrees. Many people enjoy working with their hands. Here there is no stigma attached to what are sometimes known as the "blue-collar" professions. Unlike many other parts of the world, for the most part Canadians have outgrown juvenile mentality where people are looked down upon because of their jobs. Not every person wants a mundane desk job for the rest of his/her life!

canadamasters

Sep 3, 2012
NeedleArtist said:
Don't assume that everyone who comes to study in Canada has already completed post-secondary education. I personally know many students in Colleges and Trade Schools who only had a high school education before applying. As for whether or not trade schools are a wise career choice, here in Canada trades persons usually command much higher salaries straight out of school than do those with degrees. Many people enjoy working with their hands. Here there is no stigma attached to what are sometimes known as the "blue-collar" professions. Unlike many other parts of the world, for the most part Canadians have outgrown juvenile mentality where people are looked down upon because of their jobs. Not every person wants a mundane desk job for the rest of his/her life!
my question still remains. I am not saying they r blue color jobs or have a stigma but the question is you start out as a bachelors then you take a trade job and then as you said they start out with a great salary which is very exciting , then what? 5 years down the line is there a career advancement or will one work on the same salary which he started with. Everyone shows a rosy picture that entry level salaries are sky high but nothing about future. one will get frustrated once initial excitement wares off.

NeedleArtist

Star Member
Oct 9, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadamasters said:
my question still remains. I am not saying they r blue color jobs or have a stigma but the question is you start out as a bachelors then you take a trade job and then as you said they start out with a great salary which is very exciting , then what? 5 years down the line is there a career advancement or will one work on the same salary which he started with. Everyone shows a rosy picture that entry level salaries are sky high but nothing about future. one will get frustrated once initial excitement wares off.
Again, you did not read my response carefully enough. What I said was that generally speaking, people with bachelor degrees do not go into the trades (although there is certainly nothing preventing them from doing so if they want to). In other words, people usually enroll in trade schools directly after completing high school. You should not assume that everyone (or even the majority of people) already have bachelors degrees when trying to obtain a Canadian Study Permit. That may be true of applicants from some countries, but certainly not from all of them. The vast majority of students that I know who are enrolled in Canadian schools on Study Permits had no post-high school education when they applied. For those individuals who already have a post-secondary degree, perhaps trade schools aren't for them, although one could certainly do worse if desiring a change in direction career-wise.

As far as pay goes, you'd be hard-pressed to find occupations where pay raises and advancement are as regular and substantial as within Trade professions. My son is a Journeyman Electrician when he started out as an apprentice 9 years ago his pay rate was $23.50 per hour with full benefits (starting wage today is ca. $29/hour) Today is earns about $70 an hour (or approximately $145,000/year), not including overtime. Over the past 9 years, his annual increases have never been less than $2.75/hour. In 3 years time he expects to be a Master Electrician employing 8 to 10 electricians. The sky is the limit once you become Master.

Far from being atypical, these amounts are actually very common among trade occupations.