+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Information of Visiting Canada

Oct 16, 2019
Hi All,

I received my COPR last March 2019 and landed in Canada in Aug 2019. After which I had to go back to my place of work (Dubai).
One our my friend received my PR card and I now have the same with me in Dubai.

I was wondering is it mandatory to visit Canada before this Aug 2020 (1 year) to maintain my PR status? (I am only planning to move to Canada next year 2021 - Feb-Mar)

Essentially I wanted to know how often should I be visiting to keep the status active.

Regards
Ashwin

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
If you landed 8/2019 then you could stay away until July/August 2022 although if did that you would need to stay put for the following 2 years.

The residency obligation means you need to be in Canada for 2 years in the 5 years from initial landing and after the first 5 years you need to show 2 years in any 5 years preceding each new entry,

So to clarify only PR cards expire , PR status never expires and can only be renounced or revoked if you you fail the 2 out of 5 years residency obligation. There are other reasons could be revoked such as criminality or misrepresentation but most people might be revoked for failing the residency obligation.

You have a valid PR card so you can travel and coming to Canada next year should be no issue at all. There is no one year rule