+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Information needed about immigration procedure

ali083

Jan 10, 2013
I am interested in applying for immigration in Canada but i don't know anything about the procedure to how apply.

My age is 29 and i am from Pakistan.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
First you need to determine if you qualify. Here is a short quiz to help you decide if you belong to a qualified group. (Please note this can change this can change.)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/eligibility.asp

Once you determine which process you qualify for, you can post in that section for help.

ali083

Jan 10, 2013
i did took the test for move there and work but didn't qualify any.So does this mean that i can't apply for immigration or work visa and if i apply for a visit visa can i some how try for permanent residence after reaching there and during my stay there can i work on simple jobs.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. NO... you cant its illegal to work while on visitor visa.
2. If you do not qualify as a skilled worker you can apply as an investor. You only need to have $800,000 dollars and invest to open a business in Canada

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
1) If the test says you don't qualify, likely you don't qualify for anything right now. It's hard to give you any better tips as you haven't provided information about you education, job, skills, etc. Also would be interested in know where in Canada you want to move to - because it might help. Also, are you interested in studying?

2) You can try for the visit visa, but it's likely to be rejected.

3) There's no way to qualify for PR by just visiting.

4) If you do visit Canada, you'll need to find a job. First off, that's a lot harder than it sounds. You have to find an employer willing to provide you a LMO which you need to get a work permit (valid for that employer only). Finding an employer willing to provide a LMO is difficult as most employers aren't interested - there are plenty of citizens and PRs already in Canada. Most LMOs go to nannies (live in caregivers) and fast food workers. Sometimes those jobs qualify for PR, sometimes not. There are other jobs that get LMOs sometimes, which are usually regional. (Such as long haul truck driver in Alberta.) Most of these jobs require specialized training or skills - such as truck driver you must have the correct license, nanny just take CPR and First Aid classes and have either education or full time professional experience to qualify.

I don't mean to be a downer on this, but it's really not easy. Take in my case - American, great work experience, perfect English with a flat accent. My former job even has offices in Canada. I've been here 18 months searching for a job and cannot find an employer willing to give me a LMO. There are a LOT more people wanting LMOs than there are LMOs available. Lots of jobs have asked to hire me - I've even been offered several, but once they learn about the LMO, the offer to gone.

So basically, it's a very risky plan, not really a good one in my opinion.

I would look at this website: http://www.workingin-canada.com/visa/skills-in-demand

It will show you what kinds of jobs Canada is looking for. If you already work in one of these fields, great. If not, you can consider studying more - if you study inside Canada, yes it is expensive, but will give you credit towards PR in the Canadian Experience Class (CEC).

There is no short and easy way to get here............ unfortunately!

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
newtone said:
1. NO... you cant its illegal to work while on visitor visa.
2. If you do not qualify as a skilled worker you can apply as an investor. You only need to have $800,000 dollars and invest to open a business in Canada
Investor class is covered the in the self assesment.

Also, it doesn't appear FSW is covered right now, because the program is suspended. There are no questions (That I remember and I took the thing a few days ago out of boredom) about education, because I know Canada is interested in people looking to get their PhDs......... trying to convince my brother to do his PhD here.

ali083

Jan 10, 2013
Thanks a lot for ur detailed replay.

I have done my graduation in IT and Master in IR and currently working as lecturer of IT at a college here and as for location in Canada is concerned i have no preference.Its my first attempt to apply for abroad and will like move any where in Canada just want move out of my country.
Can i go for a student visa for further education what is the right procedure for that and will i be allowed to work in that period.If i complete my studies there than can i be eligible for applying for immigration or work visa.

amikety said:
1) If the test says you don't qualify, likely you don't qualify for anything right now. It's hard to give you any better tips as you haven't provided information about you education, job, skills, etc. Also would be interested in know where in Canada you want to move to - because it might help. Also, are you interested in studying?

2) You can try for the visit visa, but it's likely to be rejected.

3) There's no way to qualify for PR by just visiting.

4) If you do visit Canada, you'll need to find a job. First off, that's a lot harder than it sounds. You have to find an employer willing to provide you a LMO which you need to get a work permit (valid for that employer only). Finding an employer willing to provide a LMO is difficult as most employers aren't interested - there are plenty of citizens and PRs already in Canada. Most LMOs go to nannies (live in caregivers) and fast food workers. Sometimes those jobs qualify for PR, sometimes not. There are other jobs that get LMOs sometimes, which are usually regional. (Such as long haul truck driver in Alberta.) Most of these jobs require specialized training or skills - such as truck driver you must have the correct license, nanny just take CPR and First Aid classes and have either education or full time professional experience to qualify.

I don't mean to be a downer on this, but it's really not easy. Take in my case - American, great work experience, perfect English with a flat accent. My former job even has offices in Canada. I've been here 18 months searching for a job and cannot find an employer willing to give me a LMO. There are a LOT more people wanting LMOs than there are LMOs available. Lots of jobs have asked to hire me - I've even been offered several, but once they learn about the LMO, the offer to gone.

So basically, it's a very risky plan, not really a good one in my opinion.

It will show you what kinds of jobs Canada is looking for. If you already work in one of these fields, great. If not, you can consider studying more - if you study inside Canada, yes it is expensive, but will give you credit towards PR in the Canadian Experience Class (CEC).

There is no short and easy way to get here............ unfortunately!

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
ali083 said:
Thanks a lot for ur detailed replay.

I have done my graduation in IT and Master in IR and currently working as lecturer of IT at a college here and as for location in Canada is concerned i have no preference.Its my first attempt to apply for abroad and will like move any where in Canada just want move out of my country.
Can i go for a student visa for further education what is the right procedure for that and will i be allowed to work in that period.If i complete my studies there than can i be eligible for applying for immigration or work visa.
1) IT isn't an in demand profession. Others will tell you there are lots of IT jobs, which is true, but there's also lots of IT professionals already in Canada and legal to work.

2) I would post your education and work experience in the Skilled Worker's section to catch the attention of people that frequent that area as they would have more specific advice.

3) If you're a full time student, after 6 months, you do qualify for an off campus work permit. It's valid for 20 hours per week. You would need full time (30 hours per week or more) for immigration. What you do is graduate with your degree and apply for a post graduate work permit. That will give you time to work to qualify for PR.

I believe Canada Immigration has special consideration for PhD candidates, but I don't know all those details.

ali083

Jan 10, 2013
Thanks for sharing such valuable information i will try for student visa and one thing else whats ur suggestion in which state of Canada i should apply for a course.

amikety said:
1) IT isn't an in demand profession. Others will tell you there are lots of IT jobs, which is true, but there's also lots of IT professionals already in Canada and legal to work.

2) I would post your education and work experience in the Skilled Worker's section to catch the attention of people that frequent that area as they would have more specific advice.

3) If you're a full time student, after 6 months, you do qualify for an off campus work permit. It's valid for 20 hours per week. You would need full time (30 hours per week or more) for immigration. What you do is graduate with your degree and apply for a post graduate work permit. That will give you time to work to qualify for PR.

I believe Canada Immigration has special consideration for PhD candidates, but I don't know all those details.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
This is completely opinion - I would stick with Ontario (Toronto or Ottawa), Alberta (Calgary), and B. C. (Vancouver area). Why? There's more people and more jobs. So there's more competition, but more opportunities as well. However, some people would prefer small cities or different areas.

I would also look at factors like the weather. I'm sure you know it's cold in Canada. Do you like dry or wet cold, do you prefer the ocean? Are you okay with snow?

In the event you're a Punjab, we have a good sized Punjabi community in Calgary. They probably do in other cities, I just live in Calgary, so that's what I know.

ali083

Jan 10, 2013
amikety said:
I would also look at factors like the weather. I'm sure you know it's cold in Canada. Do you like dry or wet cold, do you prefer the ocean? Are you okay with snow?
Yes i am aware about that.The location of Pakistan i am from coming is also a area of cold weather but if got the opportunity i would prefer location near the oceans.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Then look first at BC. Vancouver, Victoria. It's expensive to live there, but it's better weather, the ocean, and great cities.