Information: Living expenses in Toronto/Canada

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
All,

I'm an International student from New Delhi who received a lot of information from this forum when I was applying for my visa/College. I got admission, then Visa and am currently in Canada doing my pg studies.

I will be providing some information that might be useful for you guys. Starting with living cost in Canada.

Of course, it really depends upon individual to individual and some areas are expensive than others. I will be providing data for Toronto since I'm here for past 6 months.

Let's categorise the major expense in groups:
Rent [250-600]
Transportation [100]
Food [150-300]
Entertainment [0-150]
Phone: 55

Total Monthly Expense [550-1100]

RENT
This is what I've seen in the area:
Single room in a house (Sharing Kitchen, personal bathroom): 600-750/month
Single room in a house (Sharing Kitchen, Sharing bathroom): 500-550 [Can also find small room as low as 450]
Basement: 700-800 [2 people can easily stay]
College/University Hostel: usually around 800/month. Have to give 8 month rent in advance. For some college you also have to buy a meal plan. Room is very small, and bathroom is shared. Usually no kitchen and only microwave and a fridge is provided.
1 BHK : about 800-900 (3 people can easily stay, even 4 can be managed]
Rent Conditions: You have to sign a 1 year contract [Can't leave accommodation before 1 year but can sublet]. Two months notice period. First and last required (two month rent in first go, then monthly rent)

Transportation
Car: Forget about car. car is cheap (can even buy in just 3000) but insurance is costly (usually 400/month, yes!)
Cab: usually $8-10/km
Public Transport: Excellent service, very comfortable: Subway or Streetcar (Tram) or Buses. Monthly pass of $99 for students, 120 for general public.

Food
Grocery is cheap and you get all Indian stuff here, even maggy. I once saw a prestige 5 L cooker in Walmart in just 35 bucks (dollars), a price similar to Indian market price. Eating out is very expensive, usually 7-10 times expensive than cooking yourself.

For example, you can cook pasta at home and the grocery/oil cost etc would be less than $1 [may be just 40-50 cents]. One single time pasta in college cafeteria would be $6-$8. Try to learn cooking before you arrive. This will save hundreds of dollars a month for you.

If you cook regularly at home, and eat out occasionally, then you are estimating about 150-200 a month.

Entertainment
Movies {English, and even Hindi/Punjabi} DVD is available free in Toronto Public Library. Library membership is free. You can rent upto 50 book.DVD at a time.

Movies in hall: $10

Clubbing: Not as expensive as they are in India. Sometimes the entry is free, sometimes 5 or 10 bucks. For special events and in Desi club, the entry is 20. A beer (350 ml) is 6 inside a club (outside it is 2).

Museum: Entry fees differs and is in range between 6 to 28. However, you can get free museum pass in Library on Saturday @ 9 am.

Phone: No contract. Own handset. Base plan 25 (free Toronto/GTA calling) + 20 (Unlimited India calling} + 5 (Unlimited Internet on phone) + tax ~ 55/month

Depending upon your lifestyle, you can assume monthly living expenses from a mere 550 to as high as 1100. major saving point: shared accommodation and cooking at home.

Stay hungry, stay foolish and keep trying. Best of luck to you all for your admission and visa.

GS

raadie12

Nov 30, 2011
Gujrat
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-11-11
IELTS Request
Not Applicable
Med's Request
submitted in advance
VISA ISSUED...
waiting ...
LANDED..........
inSha' Allah in January 2012
Thanks dude
its very informative

UmairHashmi

Star Member
Nov 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC Isb
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-Jan-2012
File Transfer...
23-Jan-2012
Med's Request
Waiting
Interview........
Waived
Very useful information. Thanks bro

H

HBK

Nice informatiom brother.can we cover our living expences from parttime jobs of 20 hour per week?

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ashok5584 said:
Nice informatiom brother.can we cover our living expences from parttime jobs of 20 hour per week?
Study schedule is very hectic here. The focus is on assignments which you get almost every week (for many subjects). Most of the time there is no final exam in a subject. Even if there is one, the weightage of the final exam is only 20%. Doing several assignments, and college commute, and getting used to the culture takes a toll on an International student making it very hectic to do a part time job.

Besides, getting a job is very difficult now a days due to the recession.

You cannot work legally before 6 months. Cash jobs hardly pays more than 8/hr and they are very demanding. If you are able to work 20 hr a week, you can expect 20*8=160/week or about 640/month.

You can survive in this income. However, this is not recommended as it significantly effect your grades.

GS

H

HBK

Thanks brother for replying.But i want to ask you.can we work as 10 hours on saturday and 10 hours on sunday during offcamp work permit per week?

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ashok5584 said:
Thanks brother for replying.But i want to ask you.can we work as 10 hours on saturday and 10 hours on sunday during offcamp work permit per week?
The limit if 20 hr per week. It doesn't matters if you work 20 hrs in a single day or 10 hrs in two days.

GS

Shakeel Abbas

Jan 1, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks a lot . . . .can you suggest me any gov. college so i can manage both(study,pt job)

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
account77 said:
@ GS_Stud

If we stay near to college, can we skip buss pass?
Yes, you can.

Even if you have to travel on weekends, one time fare is 3 dollar cash or a token (token cost 2.5 dollar each but you have to purchase at least 4 at one time.)

In Toronto, whether you travel 1 km or 15 km, you just need one token.

GS

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Shakeel Abbas said:
Thanks a lot . . . .can you suggest me any gov. college so i can manage both(study,pt job)
Think about your course first, and then Uni or college. Google for college and look for publicly funded colleges or Uni.

GS

acca247

Mar 28, 2011
Visa Office......
CDHC,LAGOS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
RECEIVED ON 4TH APRIL,2011
IELTS Request
NOT REQUIRED
Med's Request
13TH JULY,2011
Med's Done....
26TH JULY,2011
Interview........
4TH JULY,2011
Passport Req..
SUBMITTED TO CDHC ON 27TH JULY,2011
Thanx for the information. It will be useful for the fresher and for those that are still waiting to get our visas(Insha Allah)