+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Information about switching from closed to open work permit

cdhello1

Jul 14, 2016
Hello all,

My spouse has a closed work permit and is currently working in Canada. I'm a permanent resident in Canada and sponsering my spouse for PR. There is an option to include a open work permit application in the PR application, I was wondering is it possible to do it since she already has a closed work permit ?

Will it have any effect on the current closed work permit ? How will the switch from closed to open work permit take place? What are the things to be considered ?

Looking forward for your thoughts and comments !

Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello all,

My spouse has a closed work permit and is currently working in Canada. I'm a permanent resident in Canada and sponsering my spouse for PR. There is an option to include a open work permit application in the PR application, I was wondering is it possible to do it since she already has a closed work permit ?

Will it have any effect on the current closed work permit ? How will the switch from closed to open work permit take place? What are the things to be considered ?

Looking forward for your thoughts and comments !

Thanks
Yes, she can apply for the OWP.

The closed work permit would be cancelled.

IRCC approves it and mails out her new permit.

baka123

Star Member
Nov 22, 2019
Yes, she can apply for the OWP.

The closed work permit would be cancelled.

IRCC approves it and mails out her new permit.
On the "Application to change conditions, extend stay or remain in Canada as a worker", what option should be chosen for the change from a CWP to OWP? I'm in the same position about to apply for spousal sponsorship through my Canadian Wife.

TIA

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
On the "Application to change conditions, extend stay or remain in Canada as a worker", what option should be chosen for the change from a CWP to OWP? I'm in the same position about to apply for spousal sponsorship through my Canadian Wife.

TIA
There is no change option you have to apply for an OWP. There is a large backlog so anticipate that it may take 5+ months to get the OWP.