+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Information about spousal application process

workpermit777

Oct 15, 2018
Hello, I am asking this question on behalf of a friend.

My friend is currently in Canada on a 2 year work permit and has applied for spousal application since his wife is a Canadian Citizen. They are having some trouble in their marriage and want to separate on mutual terms. The file is still in process for my friend to become PR. What he wants to know is if they end up separating, will his application still go through for PR or will it be cancelled? and what if they separate but do not divorce till he is PR is that fine or no?

Thank you.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If they are separating, they must inform IRCC immediately once the couple have taken that decision. To hold off on notifying IRCC until after the PR is completed is to commit immigration fraud.

If they separate and are not cohabitating, he is no longer eligible for inland spousal sponsorship. To not notify IRCC of this is immigration fraud.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
No I am not an agent. Its just someone I met and became friends with and he was asking me for an advice.
I just noticed that you've got a lot of different backgrounds in your posts - sometimes it's your parents, sometimes it's you on a worker visa, sometimes it's a citizenship test, sometimes it's a PR application. Even if you're not an agent, it's not fair to volunteers here to ask information for paying clients.