+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Info regarding marriage certificate

Shiv_CR7

Mar 3, 2019
I am a Canadian citizen (Since sept 2023). My fiancee is an Indian citizen. I will be getting married in April 2024 in India.
Does anybody know of the procedure or if there is any document I need to carry from Canada before flying to India for my marriage? And is there any specific procedure to obtain the marriage certificate in India (Karnataka) when the wedding is between a Canadian and Indian citizen?

Thanks in advance

phoenix232

Apr 3, 2015
I got this Statement in lieu of certificate of non-impediment to marriage abroad from the Canadian Embassy in Delhi ( I got married in Delhi )

india.consular@international.gc.ca , email them here and they will help you. Got this done year and half back , not sure if anything changed. They charged me CAD$30 and sent me a soft copy over email and hard copy to a local address in delhi.

Basically, they look for a doc that certifies that you are single but Canada doesn't provide such information , thus this doc.

I also kept my DL and Utility bill etc as secondary proof which Magistrate asked but never mentioned they need it. Someone can visit your local Magistrate ( preferably near your fiancée place of residence ) and ask if they require anything else.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Shiv_CR7

Shiv_CR7

Mar 3, 2019
Thanks for the response.

So the first step is to email them at india.consular@international.gc.ca and ask for Statement in lieu of certificate of non-impediment to marriage abroad. In the mail should I be provide any specific info? Is there a from which I need to fill out? How much time do they take for this process?

So this statement, along with Canadian DL, utility bills are usually sufficient to be provided in India to obtain marriage certificate.

phoenix232

Apr 3, 2015
Thanks for the response.

So the first step is to email them at india.consular@international.gc.ca and ask for Statement in lieu of certificate of non-impediment to marriage abroad. In the mail should I be provide any specific info? Is there a from which I need to fill out? How much time do they take for this process?
No just tell them that you are looking for this and the rest forms etc they would send to fill in and sign. Print and fill those, scan and send it to them along with your canadian passport copy and a payment authorization form ( this too they will send ) Should take couple of days. mine took 5 days.
So this statement, along with Canadian DL, utility bills are usually sufficient to be provided in India to obtain marriage certificate.
From your side , YES + Canadian Passport obviously
Rest there would be doc checklist for your Fiancée which they need to get from the magistrate office.

Shiv_CR7

Mar 3, 2019
I emailed them and they sent me the forms. In the credit card authorization form, they have a foot note mentioning credit card service is provided by a 3rd party and the fee is $1.50

The $30 fee mentioned is inclusive of the $1.50? There's a section where I need to fill the amount for services, confused if I should enter $30 or $31.50

phoenix232

Apr 3, 2015
I emailed them and they sent me the forms. In the credit card authorization form, they have a foot note mentioning credit card service is provided by a 3rd party and the fee is $1.50

The $30 fee mentioned is inclusive of the $1.50? There's a section where I need to fill the amount for services, confused if I should enter $30 or $31.50
I put in $30 as the 1.50 is extra charge which is separate transaction.

Shiv_CR7

Mar 3, 2019
I put in $30 as the 1.50 is extra charge which is separate transaction.
Following up on this:
Thanks for the info. I got the soft copy and hard copy was mailed to my home in India.
Is there anything needed to be done in Canada? Like going to city hall and fill out the paperwork for marriage?

On a separate topic:
Do you happen to know if my spouse needs to get her PCC done in India or needs to be done here after she travels to Canada.
Is there any other paper work which needs to be done in India which will be needed when applying for inland sponsorship

phoenix232

Apr 3, 2015
Following up on this:
Thanks for the info. I got the soft copy and hard copy was mailed to my home in India.
Is there anything needed to be done in Canada? Like going to city hall and fill out the paperwork for marriage?
Nope

On a separate topic:
Do you happen to know if my spouse needs to get her PCC done in India or needs to be done here after she travels to Canada.
Is there any other paper work which needs to be done in India which will be needed when applying for inland sponsorship
PCC would be done when your spouse is here. Can take upto 2-3months through BLS.
carry spouse's recent IELTS score ( if they ever gave one ), spouse's birth certificate, marriage certificate from temple, and this marriage certificate from DM.
I didn't upload but just in case you want to submit more proof, carry you marriage invitation card.

other than these, i don't think you need anything else. I'll update if I remember anything else.

Shiv_CR7

Mar 3, 2019
Did it take some time to obtain the certificate from the magistrate?
Hope only for submitting the info while applying for certificate, my spouse and I am required to be present physically and not mandatory when collecting if it takes months.