+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian Visa/OCI for Newborn

Ganny

Star Member
Apr 30, 2014
Probably this was discussed before but I did not quite get the answer yet. So please apologize if this is a duplicate thread.

My wife and my new born baby will be visiting to India early next month. 3 weeks from now.
They will probably stay until end of year.

I just got the baby's Canada passport and initiating the Indian visa process.

I am not clear what might be my best option .

1. Apply for both Indian tourist visa and OCI together.
2. Apply for Indian visa alone and then try extending visa for another 2-3 months from India.
(Suggest me if there is a better option.)

I am convinced of the first option but not too clear if I need to produce any original documents of my wife's or the baby's for OCI which may not let them travel on the planned date.

Also in case the first option work out, how would I let Indian immigration know that they are going to extend the stay based on OCI?

Thanks for your help.

Ninjashadow

Star Member
Jan 9, 2017
Hello,

I was in the same dilemma a year ago.

1. You may apply for Visit visa first which would give baby a year validity on passport with 6 month stretch stay at a time. This will be helpful for booking ticket in advance.

check your local vo processing time for OCI.

You may also apply for OCI in india to be on safer side.

Reactions: Ganny

ramkris

Apr 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Aug-2013
File Transfer...
13-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
1-Aug-2013
Passport Req..
26-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2014
LANDED..........
soon
If they can wait apply oci here and go with oci . If they can not wait then apply for entry visa for your child . If your wife is canadian then for her too.

apply oci in india as entry visa can be extended until you receive oci card.

Tourist or visitor visas can not be extended in India. they might not accept applications who are on a visit visa. For your case entry visa is must as u mentioned

My wife and my new born baby will be visiting to India early next month. 3 weeks from now.
They will probably stay until end of year.

In this case you need to apply for extension which is not possible under tourist visa where as it is possible in entry visa but duration of extension depends on FRRO

Last edited:
Reactions: Ganny

Ganny

Star Member
Apr 30, 2014
Thank you so much for your responses. I have decided to apply for oci and postpone the travel date.

macwhitby

Nov 18, 2016
Whitby
LANDED..........
21-11-2014
Whats the processing time for OCI in India ? Is the process smooth in India or similar like BLS here ?

Nov 12, 2019
Hi,
Can I apply OCI from india for new born ? Is it easy process to apply from India ? I am planning to apply Entry visa . What do you guys think?

B.M

Mar 19, 2022
Calgary
Hi,
Can I apply OCI from india for new born ? Is it easy process to apply from India ? I am planning to apply Entry visa . What do you guys think?
Hi subhankar, did you apply for OCI/ entry visa?
We planning to India in may. Can you what you have done We are in same situation.
Thank you.

Maninder15

Nov 18, 2022
Hi all, my baby is born in Canada and I am looking to apply for his Indian Visa. Me and my husband are PR of Canada and we have Indian citizenship. I see that for OCI it is taking longer like 3 month so I am going for visa and may be apply for OCI later on. I have few question if someone can help:

1. I need to apply for tourist visa for him?
2. For how long he can get the visa?
3. When I check the BLS the appointments are after so long so can I send his application using the pickup and drop off service?
4. We need to apply through BLS or there is another place to apply for the visa?

filtyfox

Star Member
Jun 26, 2020
Dubai
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Winnipeg
NOC Code......
Hello members
I need to apply for my canadian born child indian visa. We both parents are on Canadian PR with Indian Passport. I am confused which Indian visa should I apply for my child. Is it a Tourist Visa or Entry Visa. Can anyone also tell me the difference between both.
Thanks

sajjarapu

Star Member
May 12, 2017
Hello members
I need to apply for my canadian born child indian visa. We both parents are on Canadian PR with Indian Passport. I am confused which Indian visa should I apply for my child. Is it a Tourist Visa or Entry Visa. Can anyone also tell me the difference between both.
Thanks
I've recently applied for an e-visa for my baby. It all depends on what is your plan and duration for the baby to stay in India.

I applied for e-visa coz it was quick, got it in less than 24 hours. but the only draw back is she can stay only a set number of days in the year . She is a US citizen so she could stay for 180 days only in 1 calendar year. For canadian citizen it is 90 days I believe please check the details on their website. When I checked with the e-visa team they told me I cannot extend the stay, so there is a hard limit of how long they could stay in 1 calendar year.

With OCI, they can stay as long as they want.

I do not know about the other visas (tourist/entry)

filtyfox

Star Member
Jun 26, 2020
Dubai
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Winnipeg
NOC Code......
I've recently applied for an e-visa for my baby. It all depends on what is your plan and duration for the baby to stay in India.

I applied for e-visa coz it was quick, got it in less than 24 hours. but the only draw back is she can stay only a set number of days in the year . She is a US citizen so she could stay for 180 days only in 1 calendar year. For canadian citizen it is 90 days I believe please check the details on their website. When I checked with the e-visa team they told me I cannot extend the stay, so there is a hard limit of how long they could stay in 1 calendar year.

@sajjarapu Thank you for the info. We are planning to stay 3 months at max so e-visa may serve our purpose.
We tried applying OCI for our child but at the same time very frustrated with their slow processings and document requirements which keeps changing on every visit.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016

https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/tvoa.html:
FAQ's

What is the validity of e-Visa?
  • Ans- The validity of e-Visa would be according to the e-Visa service you have requested in the application form as -
    For e-Tourist Visa (01 year / 05 years), the validity would be 365 days / 05 years from the date of grant of ETA with Multiple entries and Maximum stay in India during one Calender Year should not exceed 180 days.
  • For e-Tourist Visa (30 days), the validity would be 30 days from the date of your first arrival in India. Double entries will be granted within the e-Visa validity period stamped on your Passport. Your first arrival must be between the date of issue and expiry of ETA.